Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bought a bike on CL. Can you tell me if it is a good bike?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Bought a bike on CL. Can you tell me if it is a good bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-13, 05:26 PM
Svr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd bet the OP is fishing for the bikes worth for future sale.

Hint: the front derailleur alone is probably worth more than the entire bike to the right collector.
Old 01-28-13, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by born2bahick
Nice bike! Did you take it off any sweet jumps yet?
Classic!
Old 01-28-13, 11:02 PM
S'toon trail rider!

Bikes: 2011 Norco Mountaineer(XC/Trails), 2011 Jamis Commuter1(commuter)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
look really close. you can barely see it, but that RD is an XTR
Originally Posted by ColinL
yep. "cycle king" headset and similarly no-name RD. the shimano XTR FD is a trick. late 90s fork.

that bike is actually worth more like $150-200.
Old 01-30-13, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterK
look really close. you can barely see it, but that RD is an XTR
I don't see the reference on RD, but I can see a Ten years old XTR FD...
Old 01-30-13, 10:54 AM
S'toon trail rider!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its there. And the crank isn't too bad either, race face ride, aluminum chainrings and they don't look to bad either.
Its got a nice drivetrain. And if its got a decent crank and drivetrain my guess is those brake arnt too bad either. Seems like an overpriced but well specd (aged) commuter

Last edited by MisterK; 01-30-13 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-30-13, 11:15 AM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
OMG it's got XTR? That changes everything!

Seriously, why do people get in a lather over old higher-end components? With that many years of dirt, crud, neglect, use and abuse, they're probably worn out anyway.
Old 01-30-13, 11:22 AM
S'toon trail rider!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never said its was super exciting. I'm just sayin its decently specd tho its old. Everyone is saying its a no name rd but I was just pointing out its actually an xtr. Which would do really anything you need and you can basiclly run the pieces into the ground.
Its over priced, but its not some pos dept store schwinn. Its just old.
So settle down everyone, just because he bought an old bike for probably twice what its worth (and ya I believe its worth about 200) doesn't mean he didn't get a decent bike out of it
Old 01-31-13, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterK
I never said its was super exciting. I'm just sayin its decently specd tho its old. Everyone is saying its a no name rd but I was just pointing out its actually an xtr. Which would do really anything you need and you can basiclly run the pieces into the ground.
Its over priced, but its not some pos dept store schwinn. Its just old.
So settle down everyone, just because he bought an old bike for probably twice what its worth (and ya I believe its worth about 200) doesn't mean he didn't get a decent bike out of it
Regardless of what he paid, I think with better pictures we can tell him whether it is a good bike or not, that is the actual question.
Old 01-31-13, 09:59 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
The bike is a good beat around the trails, streets, mups or whatever you have bike. I would compare it to having clean -70-s F250. Heavy, aged, but a good format for a basic bike from way back. I rode something similar for years. I enjoyed the heck out of it. But when I upgraded to a New to Me upper end Scott, WOW-the new stuff is awesome. Huge difference. But you can have fun on that bike, but we have beat the OP up pretty well. He should have asked before he paid-he could have done much better.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 01-31-13, 12:50 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
I wonder how many days ago the OP last checked in.
Old 01-31-13, 01:39 PM
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
I wonder how many days ago the OP last checked in.
He probably took that bad boy to moab, and doesn't have internet service.
Old 01-31-13, 02:40 PM
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by elduderino2412
he probably took that bad boy to moab, and rode it off some sweet drop.
ftfy
Old 01-31-13, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
Bike value is interesting. My first thought is in the $200 range but then I think would I rather have this bike for $200 or a new bike. My assumption is this is probably a better bike than a new $200 mongoose. You could get something new for the $550 so the value is somewhere in the middle.

A few years ago I sold a clean mid 90's trek 800 I think I sold it for $120 I probably paid $200 for it new. I listed it on craigslist for $150. Knowing that I would see that model and similar models listed for 85-200. I got quite a few $75 offers and it took about a week to sell. The buyer came and looked at it and was happy paying 120 his thought process was that a similar bike store bike would be $300 and it was nicer than any new $120 bike.
Old 01-31-13, 07:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike85
Hello All,

I dont know much about bikes. I bought this off of CL for $550. Owner told me the frame was an '01 Moab and that he made a ton of upgrades. Any insights would be appreciated as I know little about bikes. It seems to ride well.

Thanks!
Its worth every penny if you keep riding it. Most of the opinionated people on the thread wont even be riding their 'mainstream' bike in 12 months.
Prove 'em all wrong. Ride it for 12 months, come back here and see how many of the people are still around.
Old 01-31-13, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by JackoDandy
Its worth every penny if you keep riding it. Most of the opinionated people on the thread wont even be riding their 'mainstream' bike in 12 months.
Prove 'em all wrong. Ride it for 12 months, come back here and see how many of the people are still around.
Yeeeeaahhhh buddy, that's a real cool story bro. Half the people on here told him riding the wheels off the thing was the only way to get his money's worth out of it. Of course, since you've been here for almost 5 minutes now, you know all that, right?

Last edited by rebel1916; 01-31-13 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-31-13, 08:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Yeeeeaahhhh buddy, that's a real col story bro. Half the people on here told him riding the wheels off the thing was the only way to get his money's worth out of it. Of course, since you've been here for almost 5 minutes now, you know all that, right?
I dont need to have been registered to a bike forum for years to know the usual shelf-life of a bike or have it represent my biking experience. Ive ridden over 5000 miles since 2010 - how about you?

All I'm saying is, why be so aggressive against the guy? I's fine if you think it wasnt worth the $, but why be so nasty about it?

Last edited by JackoDandy; 01-31-13 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-31-13, 10:04 PM

I dont need to have been registered to a bike forum for years to know the usual shelf-life of a bike or have it represent my biking experience. Ive ridden over 5000 miles since 2010 - how about you?

All I'm saying is, why be so aggressive against the guy? I's fine if you think it wasnt worth the $, but why be so nasty about it?

Its winter and some of the gang has cabin fever! They get crabby when they can't ride.

You have a good point about used bikes. I have two really good bikes (XTR/XT and Dura-ace groups) that I picked up pretty reasonably after the owners got tired of knocking the dust off them in the garage.

Old 01-31-13, 10:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Its winter and some of the gang has cabin fever! They get crabby when they can't ride.

You have a good point about used bikes. I have two really good bikes (XTR/XT and Dura-ace groups) that I picked up pretty reasonably after the owners got tired of knocking the dust off them in the garage.
- I get all my N+1 bikes from craigslist. Amazing bargains when owners get too embarassed walking past the bike they dont ride anymore.
Old 01-31-13, 10:55 PM

My best buys have been when "a baby is coming" or the wife said I have to sell something before I can buy anything else.

Old 01-31-13, 11:22 PM
Moar cowbell

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My best buys have come from convincing otherwise-levelheaded bike industry marketing guys that it's cool to support old hacks .
Old 02-01-13, 02:33 PM

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
OP: It's a [pre pacific buyout] 90s schwinn from the homegrown era, with a bomber fork and xtr derailleurs and v-brakes. $550 isn't as far off this planet as this thread is making you think. Personally, I wouldn't have paid more than $300 for it, but if you were to part it out, you'd probably be able to recover most, if not all, of the $550 you have in it.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 02-01-13, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by dminor
My best buys have come from convincing otherwise-levelheaded bike industry marketing guys that it's cool to support old hacks .
I bet you can sell ice in Alaska!

Old 02-02-13, 05:26 AM
Redheaded Stepchild

Bikes: A fat tire & a skinny tire & two others I loaned out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Most of the opinionated people on the thread wont even be riding their 'mainstream' bike in 12 months.
Yup, most of us guys (& gals) that have been here & been mountain biking for several years will probably just give up the sport & the lifestyle. In 12 months, it'll be nothing but a bunch of n00bs here, because all of us will have gotten bored & moved on. I'm personally only doing this lame biking stuff because this hott chick said I looked kewl on a bike.
Old 02-02-13, 06:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a positive note it is the better quality (Taiwan) built Schwinn frame. (Not China)...has great potential.

Last edited by mega69; 02-02-13 at 06:42 AM.
Old 02-02-13, 10:40 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The question is: "Is it a good bike?"
The answer is - ABSOLUTELY!

Yeah - there's the usual discussion on here about how much something should cost vs what it might have been bought for at a garage sale or possible at a deeply discounted price from someone who claimed they were tired of it when they could also have been moving stolen merchandise. Lets skip all that.

The bike originally came with Araya GP-710 rims. Now it has Mavic A317's, and I'd guess the complete wheelset was replaced. The hubs were originally Altus and there was originally a 7 speed freewheel in back. Since its no longer 7 speed -I'm guessing its now a cassette. Those rims are still on the market and what you have on the bike aren't worn so skip the dating issues there.

The generic Moeb tires were replaced with Bontrager Connection Trail Tire, which are in good condition, are still on the market and in Canada get excellent reviews.

The crankset was upgraded from an Alivio to a RaceFace, and the derailleurs upgraded from Alivio and STX to XTR. The saddle went from a Schwinn to a Bontrager. The front forks were upgraded - don't know about the pedals. The shifters were obviously swapped out cause that's no longer a 7-speed in back.

But you get the drift - for a Schwinn of that year and spec - you would've maybe paid too much money. But that's not what you bought and you did just fine. At this point the frame may be the only component that wasn't upgraded.

Last edited by Burton; 02-02-13 at 10:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.