Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Difference Between Platform Pedals And Spd (Clipless)

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-13, 07:31 AM

Bikes: 2012 Marin Larkspur CS Series.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So from help from this forum i purchased and installed my new clipless pedal system to my road bike. Everyone that is currently on platforms is dying to know what the difference is in performance ... well here are two strava segments that i did during identical conditions going to work. First one is with platform and the second one is with clipless o yeah and a 25lbs back pack

https://app.strava.com/activities/37608656

https://app.strava.com/activities/39044652

Last edited by melvinator; 01-29-13 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-29-13, 10:22 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I see no meaningful gain with the clipless but more calories used.

However, when safety is a consideration platforms win hands down since you're not attached to the bike as you are with clipless.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 01-29-13, 10:55 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm not sure the Strava data is meaningful. Clipless pedals might help you eek out a another couple of watts, but without power data we won't know. Ride time is affected by too many factors (wind, traffic, etc) for it to provide a meaningful comparison. The big difference for me was cadence. I find that maintaining a 90-100rpm cadence is significantly easier with clipless pedals. With platform pedals, it's pretty much impossible for me to maintain that cadence!
Old 01-29-13, 11:05 AM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
If you want to make comparisons I think you should
ride more than twice to get a fair comparison. In the
end it's possible that it may not make too much of a
difference for you(if speed is the only thing that matters)
and you can always switch back.

Snug Harbor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFj80L5e3no
Old 01-29-13, 11:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i personally felt my legs sore in new places to be honest and also i was carrying a 25lb backpack with me this time compared to last time not having a backpack.
Old 01-29-13, 11:12 AM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
It does look like he maintained a higher speed on some of the straight aways... perhaps it's the shiny new toy effect but as sstorkel mentioned, there are circumstances where your performance benefits from having your feet strapped to your pedals and higher speed / cadence would be one in my opinion.

If you're just slogging around the neighborhood on a 30# steel bike then yeah, platforms are superior.
Old 01-29-13, 11:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
circumstances where your performance benefits from having your feet strapped to your pedals and higher speed / cadence would be one in my opinion.r.
you know that is true i found myself outspinning gears alot easier than normal.
Old 01-29-13, 12:18 PM

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No meaningful gain = I have ZERO experience
Safety concerns = No meaningful gain
Old 01-29-13, 11:23 PM

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They won't suddenly give you more power to the pedals. What they do is allow you to utilize more muscle groups while you pedal which in turn allows you to pedal longer before power starts to wane. Nothing magic, nothing dangerous, nothing special, just a very useful tool that allows you to go as fast as you want too for longer periods.
Old 01-29-13, 11:42 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
If it make you want to ride your bike, then it's a gain in my book.
Old 01-30-13, 04:19 AM
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using clipless pedals for a long time. And before clipless pedals became popular, I was on clips.

When I had a chance to ride using platform pedals (when I bought a new bike), I found myself having a hard time keeping my feet on the pedals (especially my right foot). I may have gotten so used to pulling on the up-stroke. I end up being so conscious of the position of my foot that I adjust my foot's position on the pedals often.

And because of these difficulties, it's hard to spin faster.

On the trail, my foot fell once and ended up with pedal scar.. ouch..
Old 01-30-13, 05:28 AM
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
I see no meaningful gain with the clipless but more calories used.

However, when safety is a consideration platforms win hands down since you're not attached to the bike as you are with clipless.
While I see no meaningful gain in performance from this truely unscientific, and at best anecdotal comparison that has no real validity whatsoever, I find the assertion that platforms are "safer" than clipless to be positively laughable. Thank you for this morning's levity!
Old 01-30-13, 06:18 AM
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Cool! It's another clipless/platform debate! I rode with clips/straps starting in the early 1980s, switched to SPDs in the late 1990s (1997 to be exact) and then went to platforms about 18 months ago. Through experience I see no advantage either way in either efficiency or safety with just a couple of exceptions. The exceptions are that if you spin faaaaaast go clipless and there's a small safety advantage to platforms if you're an urban cyclist in a busy city setting ("stop-and-go cycling"). But overall I think it's just a matter of taste.
Old 01-30-13, 07:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
crap i didnt know to go clipless or not was such a touchy subject lol! I did see the following online when i did a little research regarding clipless or not.

The purpose of this study was to verify if there is electromyographic difference in biceps femoris (long portion), semitendinous, semimembranous and gastrocnemius (lateralis and medialis) muscles, using clipless pedal and toe clip pedal. Thirty seven triathletes answered a questionnaire about their preferred type of pedal, which showed that 5.4% used toe clip pedal and 94.6% used clipless pedal. Four male triathletes (age: 21.75 +/- 2.50 years old; cycling experience: 5.00 +/- 2.45 years; preferred cadence: 83.75 +/- 7.5 rpm) rode their own bicycles on a stationary roller at 100 rpm. The subjects performed one trial with each type of pedal. Bipolar surface electrodes placed on right lower limb picked up the EMG signal during 6 s. A band-pass filter (10-600 Hz) was used. Two muscles (semitendinous and semimembranous) presented lower activity with clipless pedal for all subjects. Biceps femoris and gastrocnemius lateralis presented lower activity with clipless pedal for three subjects. This led us to conclude that there is less electromyographic activity with the use of clipless pedal.

PMID: 11441642 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Last edited by melvinator; 01-30-13 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-30-13, 07:36 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a huge fan of clipping in. I've used them since the very first generation Looks in the mid-80s. And before that I spent several years with standard slot-cleated Dettos with toe clips and straps cinched tight. I can't ride platforms without feeling very insecure.

Having said that, I think the difference between the two rides is way too small to be an accurate indicator of anything. Way too many variables, even on a short ride. But keep in mind there are many other advantages to riding with clipped-in cleats than simply speed, or even power output. You can develop better pedaling technique, leading to more efficient riding that might only manifest itself quantitatively in longer rides and not faster ones. There's the ability to hop over small road hazards. There's the reduced chance of slipping off the pedal and getting injured. There's the opportunity to bring additional muscles into play when climbing. Lots of things to consider besides speed.
Old 01-30-13, 08:02 AM
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
With platforms I get lazier and end up with my foot too far back on the pedals. Clipping in reminds me what I'm doing, like putting your game face on. Other than that I have them because all the cool kids on my group rides use them
Old 01-30-13, 08:08 AM
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by melvinator
So from help from this forum i purchased and installed my new clipless pedal system to my road bike. Everyone that is currently on platforms is dying to know what the difference is in performance ... well here are two strava segments that i did during identical conditions going to work. First one is with platform and the second one is with clipless o yeah and a 25lbs back pack....
Melvinator, the divisiveness of most of these "clipless vs. platform" threads is because many of the responses are made speaking in absolutes by riders who have little or no experience with both. So my advice is simple: Ride whatever pedals you want, and accept that others will do the same. What works for my style of riding, at the speeds that I ride, and over the terrain that I travel, has no relevance to anyone else and their experiences have no bearing on me. If you want to try clipless, give it a try for more than a day and decide for yourself, because no one else can tell you what will work best for you.

Originally Posted by CraigB
I'm a huge fan of clipping in. I've used them since the very first generation Looks in the mid-80s. And before that I spent several years with standard slot-cleated Dettos with toe clips and straps cinched tight. I can't ride platforms without feeling very insecure.

Having said that, I think the difference between the two rides is way too small to be an accurate indicator of anything. Way too many variables, even on a short ride. But keep in mind there are many other advantages to riding with clipped-in cleats than simply speed, or even power output. You can develop better pedaling technique, leading to more efficient riding that might only manifest itself quantitatively in longer rides and not faster ones. There's the ability to hop over small road hazards. There's the reduced chance of slipping off the pedal and getting injured. There's the opportunity to bring additional muscles into play when climbing. Lots of things to consider besides speed.
+1 to everything you said. I too started with slotted cleats and dual toestraps (yes, even on my mountain bike! ) and I went clipless as soon as the first pair of Look shoes and pedals were available at our local shop, and I have never looked back. I have a pair of Shimano PD-A530 pedals on my FG so that I can pedal one of my bikes around the neighborhood in flip-flops or bare-footed, but everything else is pure clipless because riding at any real speed or over rough terrain is very uncomfortable to me when my feet are unsecured.

Last edited by Stealthammer; 01-30-13 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-30-13, 08:48 AM

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
If I was just beating around I would go with just platforms. Townline sprints with the training group, I'd rather have my feet attached thanks. As others have stated to each their own.
Old 01-30-13, 11:02 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealthammer
+1 to everything you said. I too started with slotted cleats and dual toestraps (yes, even on my mountain bike! ) and I went clipless as soon as the first pair of Look shoes and pedals were available at our local shop, and I have never looked back. I have a pair of Shimano PD-A530 pedals on my FG so that I can pedal one of my bikes around the neighborhood in flip-flops or bare-footed, but everything else is pure clipless because riding at any real speed or over rough terrain is very uncomfortable to me when my feet are unsecured.
Reading over my post and your response just reminded me of a couple of evenings ago when I tried to organize my spare parts box. I found the extra hardware and mounting instructions from my very first pair of Looks, including the threaded sleeves you were supposed to insert into the holes you had to drill through the soles of your shoes (with the provided template, of course). I'd forgotten all about that - one of the joys of being an early adopter. And no one I knew had a drill press, so I had to use a little makeshift spring apparatus of my dad's that held a hand drill perpendicular to the surface you're drilling and hope for the best. No slots for adjustment, no room for error. Ah, good times.
Old 01-30-13, 01:07 PM

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
From a guy who rode nothing but clips then clipless since 1972 until abut 2010, I can say with complete assurance- I cannot decide! I know that for running about town, I have used platform pedals (BMX style), and it pretty nice to have street shoes to run into stores and the like. that said, I keep changing back to my SPD pedals and shoes. I have not problems with feet staying on the pedals with either, at cadences up over 100. I think part of why I keep coming back to either SPD and/or Look pedals is ingrained non-rational choice. That, or despite my best protestations otherwise, I still want to belong to the roadie tribe.
Old 01-30-13, 01:32 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gunner65
No meaningful gain = I have ZERO experience
Safety concerns = No meaningful gain
Originally Posted by Stealthammer
While I see no meaningful gain in performance from this truely unscientific, and at best anecdotal comparison that has no real validity whatsoever, I find the assertion that platforms are "safer" than clipless to be positively laughable. Thank you for this morning's levity!
I'm not the topic here nor is my posted opinion.

Now go back and try and help the OP!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Last edited by Nightshade; 01-30-13 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-30-13, 02:46 PM
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Nightshade
I think it's well documented that you feel this way, but I don't think it's so obvious. Yes, there is a bigger risk of falling over when stopping when you are clipped in. I think there's a bigger risk of your foot slipping off the pedal when you're not clipped in and that can have serious consequences as well.

I agree with the idea several people have floated that being clipped in will help develop you spin better and for more of the cycle. And that this won't happen immediately.

For anybody who doesn't clip in and doesn't want to, don't. For anybody who wants to, give it a try.

Cheers,
Charles
Old 01-30-13, 02:51 PM
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by melvinator
crap i didnt know to go clipless or not was such a touchy subject lol
If you really want to see some fun debates, start a thread about hydration packs!
Old 01-30-13, 04:17 PM
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
If you really want to see some fun debates, start a thread about hydration packs!
Better yet, go to A&S and say "helmets."
Old 01-30-13, 09:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The worst injury I've ever had on a bike came when my foot slipped off a platform pedal while standing on a climb. I was in my early 20s. Tore a nice gash in my calf.

Next day I went out and bought toe clips and straps, and never used platforms on a road bike again. I was perfectly happy on clips for a long time, until I went clipless. I wish I saw the light sooner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.