Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Bib short sizing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-13, 09:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bib short sizing

I'm looking at ordering some bib shorts but I don't know what to make of the sizing. I wear 36 inch jeans and large bike shorts and undies work fine for me, but I've got a beer gut so I'm probably closer to 40 inches or so around my belly button. I'm looking at the Aero Tech bibs and they say L is 36-38 and XL is 38-40. Anybody have an opinion on which I'd be better off with?
Old 02-02-13, 11:27 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd order the smaller size. Aerotechdesigns stuff is true to US sizes, and shorts should be snug (not too tight though).
Old 02-02-13, 11:54 PM
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
US made stuff stick to the large, the euro stuff like Capo Castelli ect get one size up.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 02-03-13, 08:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys! I'll give the large a try then.
Old 02-03-13, 09:32 AM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bassjones
I'd order the smaller size. Aerotechdesigns stuff is true to US sizes, and shorts should be snug (not too tight though).
Interesting. I would have gone with the XL.
Old 02-03-13, 01:28 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShartRate
I'm looking at ordering some bib shorts but I don't know what to make of the sizing. I wear 36 inch jeans and large bike shorts and undies work fine for me, but I've got a beer gut so I'm probably closer to 40 inches or so around my belly button. I'm looking at the Aero Tech bibs and they say L is 36-38 and XL is 38-40. Anybody have an opinion on which I'd be better off with?
Just remember: your jean size has almost nothing to do with your actual waist size. I wear size 32 or 34 jeans, depending on the brand and style. If I run a measuring tape around my waist, it says 36.5 inches.

Suggest you measure your waist with a measuring tape, then order accordingly. In my experience, most bibs will stretch enough to accommodate a stomach that's 2-3" larger than the waist without any problems. If your waist is near the upper end of the size range and you've got a big stomach, it probably makes sense to order the next larger size unless you prefer a very snug fit.
Old 02-03-13, 02:50 PM

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm nearly the same. I wear a 36 now. Was up near 40 last year. My belly button measurement is larger than my waist. I wear a large in Performance bibs. I think a medium may almost fit. I would go with 1 pair of larges and see how they fit before committing to more than 1 set.

Mark Shuman