Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

is a Hybrid the bike for me? plus suggestions on options?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-13, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All,

So I have been out of cycling for a very long time and am looking to get back with something nice, but not very expensive and trying to pick the best option.

My previous bike was a 21" Schwinn Cimarron Mountain Bike, honestly if it was the right size I would have kept it, but my parents bought it for me when I was younger expecting a growth spurt that never came and I ended up with a frame that was way too large or at least seemed that way (have read that a mountain frame should be about 4-5 inches lower than your inseam when standing whereas on this bike I literally had to jump on the seat in the lowest position it was so tall).

Now I have sold the Schwinn and am looking to put the money towards something new, originally I was considering a mountain bike as that is what I had in the past, however someone at my work suggested I look into a hybrid...

I really would like to keep the cost down, preferably at most around $500 USD or so but am willing to go above if it means I am getting something I will really use.

I am also a bit bigger so would need something that handles the weight...I am not really into road bikes so that wasn't something I was considering, and also I didn't know if it makes sense to just go to a shop and go with whatever they recommend in terms of brand/model?

Was considering some flavor specialized, Trek, or even a nicer Schwinn again though I have read they have sold their name to another company and aren't as well regarded as the other two?

Any thoughts or options to consider would be appreciated?

Thanks
Old 02-03-13, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I think for the average recreational rider, the hybrid is a great choice and you can't go wrong with Trek or Specialized. I would stay away from Schwinn since I've heard the same thing. A lesser manufacturer is capitalizing on name-brand recognition and fooling a lot of people.

I'm not that familiar with Specialized's offerings but look at a Trek FX 7.1 or FX 7.2. I think they are in your price range and both are really good beginner's bikes. Specialized will have similar bikes at the same price point. If you get one of these and really take to riding, you'll probably start looking to buy a higher level version or possibly even a road bike in the future. That seems to be the trend.
Old 02-03-13, 09:29 AM
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Just about any of the major bike brands has a basic, right fork hybrid in your price range. At that price, stay away from anything that has suspension fork. They aren't very good, and they'll just add weight to the bike.

Probably the best bang for the buck:

Fuji Absolute 2.1, $479

Old 02-03-13, 09:49 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
What are you looking for, specifically? Comfort, sport, recreational, speed? What type of riding do you forsee?How big are you. All of these things, and many more go into making your choice.

Ride all of your choices, to find the one that is the most comfortable to you. One will stand out among many, even though they are similar. When I bought my Specialized Crosstrail, I liked the Trek better. But the Crosstrail stood above the rest, so I bought it.... never had a second thought.
Old 02-03-13, 10:12 AM

Bikes: CAAD 12, ROS 9+, and some others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
I just got a super 2012 leftover deal from a local bike shop on a Jamis Coda Comp; $450. She's had it out a few times now and really likes it, so do I.
Old 02-03-13, 10:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hey thanks

So I am about 250 or so for weight, which is one reason why I am interested in getting on a bike again when the weather warms up. And I am about 5'9"or 5'8" or so, my old mountain bike was a 21" frame which just seemed way too large for my height/inseam.

As for riding I think mosty around town but maybe light off road.

The only brands I know of are Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Schwinn, Gary Fisher, Raleigh, and Bianchi but most of those are just from casually reading about the name and not much more...

I have started to see brands like Torker, Redline, Yeti and others and didn't know if mainstream brands like Specialized and Trek are where I should be or if branching out is something to be considered.

Last edited by bozack90; 02-03-13 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-05-13, 01:19 PM

Bikes: 2007 Kona King Kikapu - 2012 Raleigh Misceo Trail - 1993 Diamond Back Sorrento - 1989 Nishiki Blazer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm about 240lbs, but a little taller than you at 6'1''. I went to the LBS and was looking at the Giant Roam 3, Giant Escape 2, and Trek 3700 (mtb). Quickly dropped the idea of the mtb, and the guy showed me the Raleigh Misceo Trail. It fit me well, and for my size was pretty light (plus I got a deal on last years model). It has the suspension fork that locks out, which I liked. May not be the greatest, but I liked it. They also have a model (non trail) that has a straight fork. I ended up with a large. My dad has a medium, and is around your height.

https://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/life...misceo-1-0-13/

https://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/life...-trail-1-0-13/

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...3/11508/55861/

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...2/11500/55831/

Last edited by Millerad1651; 02-05-13 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-06-13, 12:08 PM
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bozack90
hey thanks

So I am about 250 or so for weight, which is one reason why I am interested in getting on a bike again when the weather warms up. And I am about 5'9"or 5'8" or so, my old mountain bike was a 21" frame which just seemed way too large for my height/inseam.

As for riding I think mosty around town but maybe light off road.

The only brands I know of are Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Schwinn, Gary Fisher, Raleigh, and Bianchi but most of those are just from casually reading about the name and not much more...

I have started to see brands like Torker, Redline, Yeti and others and didn't know if mainstream brands like Specialized and Trek are where I should be or if branching out is something to be considered.
21" was too big for you - that frame size is for us ~6 footers.

You should look at the Giant Roam and Escape, maybe the Seek if you want to stretch you budget a bit more. The Roam is comparable to the Specialized Crossroads and Trek DS8.x, but a little cheaper. You tend to get a little more bang for your buck with Giant, but the most important thing is to get the one that's most comfortable for you. Luckily for us there are alot of good bike companies out there - add Marin and Jamis to your list.
Old 02-11-13, 09:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimi77
21" was too big for you - that frame size is for us ~6 footers.

You should look at the Giant Roam and Escape, maybe the Seek if you want to stretch you budget a bit more. The Roam is comparable to the Specialized Crossroads and Trek DS8.x, but a little cheaper. You tend to get a little more bang for your buck with Giant, but the most important thing is to get the one that's most comfortable for you. Luckily for us there are alot of good bike companies out there - add Marin and Jamis to your list.
Hey thanks all, any thoughts on the Kona Dew range? saw those and seem to be interested though haven't seen them locally, I will also check out Giant and Raleigh.

Thanks
Old 02-13-13, 09:40 PM

Bikes: 2013 Fuji Absolute 1.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was going to get a Trek 7.3, but for less $ i got a Fuji Absolute 1.4 with a carbon fork. I lost 50lbs last year riding a used hybrid, so I decided a new one would be nice.
Old 02-14-13, 10:03 AM
Used & Abused

Bikes: GT Avalanche 2.0 + Burley D'lite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks all, any thoughts on the Kona Dew range? saw those and seem to be interested though haven't seen them locally, I will also check out Giant and Raleigh.

Thanks
Looks like a good line, but I've never been on one.
Old 02-14-13, 04:48 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have a Dew Deluxe and a Dr Good,also had a 2nd Dew Deluxe for a beater. The current bikes have alloy forks that aren't quite as smooth as the older steel ones,but they take wide tires which compensates to an extent. They handle good and are pretty versatile. Really want to sit on them before buying;Kona has changed up the geo on the frames. My '05 DD is a 61 and I'm a touch stretched on it(6',33" inseam) but like it. Bought a '10 58 Dr Fine for my Dad and that fit perfect. The beater DD was a '08 58 and it felt a little too upright for my taste. My '11 Dr Good is a 56,and has a townie bar,but it fits perfect. Go figure.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X