Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Trek Verve 3 or Verve 4

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Trek Verve 3 or Verve 4

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-13, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek Verve 3 or Verve 4

I am looking to purchase a new hybrid bicycle and wanted to know if anyone has feedback on the 2013 Trek Verve 3 or Verve 4. I do not mind spending a little more on a bike if the component upgrades are worth it and it will last. Any suggestions other than these two are appreciated. The Trek store is 10 minutes from my house and other bike shops are at least 30 minutes, more with traffic so from a service perspective, I am leaning towards Trek.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-13, 03:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gfpgh
I am looking to purchase a new hybrid bicycle and wanted to know if anyone has feedback on the 2013 Trek Verve 3 or Verve 4. I do not mind spending a little more on a bike if the component upgrades are worth it and it will last. Any suggestions other than these two are appreciated. The Trek store is 10 minutes from my house and other bike shops are at least 30 minutes, more with traffic so from a service perspective, I am leaning towards Trek.

Thanks.
The TREK VERVE series replaced the earlier Multitrack series. I have been riding a TREK Multitrack 7000 since 2006. The 7000 model was the bottom price of the line at that time. I did not want the sprung fork as I had on my older Trek Navigator. I now have over 15,000 miles on my Multitrack. Two years ago I purchased a TREK Mulitrack 7000 with the step through frame for my wife to replace a similar model made by another company.

I looked at the TREK web site for specs and pricing on the different Verve series bicycles.
First thing to consider is price. The MSRP is way over what our local Trek dealer charged me. The 7000 I bought in 2006 cost me $275 plus tax. When I bought the wife's 7000 two years ago I paid $275 plus tax for that. At another Trek dealer in another county they were going for about $350.

As you go up in price you of course get better longer lasting components in the way of rear derailler and shifters. The factory derailler on the wife's 7000 last roughly 2500 miles before having to be replaced. That was one year of riding for her.

You might want to do some thinking on just how many gears you will want for the type of riding you do. Our Mulitracks have the 21-speed shifting. We do mainly rail trails with some road rides going from one section of the trail to another. No long steep climbs. A few short steep ones normally. So far the 21-speed has not been a problem. On the rail trails or road connections we are usually in one of only three frequently used gears. Will you really need the 27 speeds of the Verve 4 over the 24 speeds of the Verve 3 for the difference in price.

We went with the local bike shop only a few miles away simply because he gave us the best price on the original purchase and gives us outstanding service at a reasonable price. Check what your Trek dealer is selling each model for and if they charge MSRP you might want to look around at other Trek dealers and use the closest for any repairs you can't handle yourself.
Old 02-13-13, 04:31 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
It would be handy if you posted links to the bikes instead of expecting us to search them out.
You are likely to have more responses if you make it easier.
Old 11-03-13, 07:45 PM

Bikes: Trek Verve 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I bought a Verve last April, I went with the Verve 3 based on the reconmendation of the Trek dealer. He said that the Verve 3 is the best buy for for the type of riding that I do (rails-to-trails). The Verve 4 gives you more gears but the quality of the compoenents are not that much better quality. I am very happy with my Verve 3 and have put 2000 miles on it without trouble. About half those miles were on crushed limestone which is rough on bikes, but the Verve handled it very well.

Last edited by mrtuttle04; 11-15-13 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 08:15 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Get the best you can afford, when new. Its the cheapest way to buy better components. Mho
Old 03-22-15, 12:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrtuttle04
When I bought a Verve last April, I went with the Verve 3 based on the reconmendation of the Trek dealer. He said that the Verve 3 is the best buy for for the type of riding that I do (rails-to-trails). The Verve 4 gives you more gears but the quality of the compoenents are not that much better quality. I am very happy with my Verve 3 and have put 2000 miles on it without trouble. About half those miles were on crushed limestone which is rough on bikes, but the Verve handled it very well.
Howdy sir,

sorry to bump such an old post, but I've been looking into this model as well and was wondering your feeling after a year or two in with the bike? I see one is available for sale on craigslist in your area as well.

cheers
Old 03-26-15, 02:34 PM

Bikes: Trek Verve 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by illumin8em
Howdy sir,

sorry to bump such an old post, but I've been looking into this model as well and was wondering your feeling after a year or two in with the bike? I see one is available for sale on craigslist in your area as well.

cheers
Yes I am still happy with my Verve and I am not the one who is selling it.
However, one thing I have noticed is that while it still suites me when I ride the rail-trails, it does not do as well when I take it on the roads which around here are mostly hills. I thinking about buying a "Cyclecross" bike for road riding but keeping my Verve riding the rail-trails with my friends.
Old 03-26-15, 03:42 PM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by illumin8em
Howdy sir,

cheers
With no disrespect intended to any Verve owners, I would encourage people looking at a Verve, to try out a model in Trek's DS line instead.

The reason I say this is that the DS bike should be pretty comfortable itself, but be a far more dynamic and quicker bike, that will be harder to grow out of, if you find yourself really getting into cycling, compared to the Verve.