Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

new bike troubles

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

new bike troubles

Old 02-15-13, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
new bike troubles

I just got a new 26" mtb in Dec and already it's giving me trouble.. My two big issues are my stripped cassette, and my front tire doesn't hold air. The cassette seems to be an easy fix, but my tire is baffling me. I have already replaced the tube, i checked the inside and outside of my tire for any sharp objects, and the spokes from my rim are not pinching. Has anyone else had this tire issue?

Thanks
Old 02-15-13, 07:52 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok I'll bite. How many times have you replaced the tube? Did you find the hole in the bad tubes? Is the hole in the same place on all the punctured tubes? Trying lining up the valve stem with the valve stem hole in your wheel and using it to find the general location on your wheel/tire where you keep getting a puncture to see if you can find it. Could be something sharp in the tire, a slit in the tire, a whole in the rim tape, or a sharp edge in the metal on the wheel.
Old 02-15-13, 08:04 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by diabolicalsound
I just got a new 26" mtb in Dec and already it's giving me trouble.. My two big issues are my stripped cassette...
What bike do you have (brand/model).
A stripped cassette on a new bike??? Please explain.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-15-13, 08:07 AM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
Please explain.
Purchased at box store.
Old 02-15-13, 08:08 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
Purchased at box store.
I kinda figured that.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 02-15-13, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
welcome to here!!!!! also answer this! are you married? or have a posesive girfriend? maybe this is a inside job! someone just does'nt want you on that bike!!!!!!
Old 02-19-13, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the hyper havoc (from walmart). I checked the inside of my tire and there was no interference. Also, my tape is still good. I think I was the lucky person to get the defect =[. Yeah the cassette is probably the most annoying part; I have to ride in first gear just to avoid my chain slipping every 2 seconds
Old 02-19-13, 09:51 AM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
That sounds diabolical! The mechanics who assemble the bikes at Walmart are pretty sloppy. If the tire is defect free and the rim tape is properly placed then thinking outside the box is essential. Where on the tube is the leak coming from. Maybe you have a leaky stem or valve?

It sounds like the rear derailer is out of adjustment. If you have a friend who is good with bikes have them look at the bike and see if some finer tuning is needed. You can also just return the bike for an exchange. Walmart is pretty good about exchanges. You may have a lemon and need a cherry!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.