Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cover for bikes on rear carrier...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts

No experience with this and not advocating it, but for those interested, here's a cover for bikes being carried on the back of vehicles...

https://www.classicaccessories.com/pr...?pid=356&cid=0
Old 02-15-13, 06:43 PM

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I'll pass this on for what it's worth. My boss of many years ago had me make arrangements for shipping a classic car on a trailer. He specifically asked me to ask about buying a cover to protect the car. The transportor emphatically told me not to cover it, as the wind would whip the cover around and damage the paint.

If the bike is truely out of the slipstream, it might not matter. Anyhow, I might be proud to ride a bike with spattered bugs on the front.
Old 02-15-13, 07:19 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
No experience with this and not advocating it, but for those interested, here's a cover for bikes being carried on the back of vehicles...

https://www.classicaccessories.com/pr...?pid=356&cid=0

Thats kinda nice, but specifically designed for the back of RV's where wind issues would be a non-issue.
I sorta like a soft case inside the back of a van myself.
Old 02-18-13, 01:00 AM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I normally only cover the saddle and handlebars with plastic bags if my bike is outside on a rack for a long car ride.
Old 02-18-13, 05:56 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'd say that if you happen to haul your bikes anywhere near a cop who's the sort who likes to ticket drivers whose license plates are partially obscured by rear-mounted bicycles, this will almost guarantee a citation.
Old 02-18-13, 07:40 AM
group W bench

Bikes: Raleigh Prestige, GT ZR.1, Burley Duet, Schwinn Voyagre, Giant ATX 990, a couple single speeds and a fixed gear, plus my bike collection

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 3 Posts
A company called Skinz https://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/b...ortcovers.html makes waterproof hitch rack bicycle covers. They aren't cheap though. Prices start at $216 (1-2 bikes w/o tailights) to $343 (3-5 bikes w tailights). They have versions for standard frame mount (top tube) or tray style (wheel mount) racks. The ones without tailights have clear panels where the car tailights would be. Any bike shop who orders from QBP (Quality Bicycle Products) can get them for you or you can order direct. I hope this helps.
Old 02-18-13, 10:57 AM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Driving from California to St. Louis and back (in the summer), there was definitely some fine dirt on the bikes, but nothing a quick cleanup couldn't take care of.