Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-13, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need Help.

Trying to revive this thread from the dead...

I was hit last week and am wondering about any general tips dealing with the driver's insurance. I don't think there'll be any question about fault, but I've heard plenty of horror stories about dealing with insurance companies. It's been one week and I haven't heard from her insurance company yet, but am expecting a call any day. Are there any specific things to say or not to say?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-21-13, 09:54 PM

Bikes: Fuji Sunfire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do not expect the other person or their insurance company to come forward and simply volunteer to give you money. Just like a vehicle accident, you have to go after them. Don't accept any money unless you know that ALL of your damages are known and settled. For example, don't accept a check if you still haven't gone back to work.

If you feel intimidated about going after them, you can always get a lawyer, but you may or may not get reimbursed for their fees. I would recommend gathering and totaling all of your expenses and calling their insurance agent to file a claim against them.

Russ
Old 02-21-13, 10:51 PM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tedwardg
Trying to revive this thread from the dead...

I was hit last week and am wondering about any general tips dealing with the driver's insurance. I don't think there'll be any question about fault, but I've heard plenty of horror stories about dealing with insurance companies. It's been one week and I haven't heard from her insurance company yet, but am expecting a call any day. Are there any specific things to say or not to say?

Thanks in advance!
Don't admit to anything. Because that will be the opening the insurance investigator is looking for, to exploit them. so they can turn it around to being your fault.
Old 02-21-13, 11:21 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Don't admit to anything. Because that will be the opening the insurance investigator is looking for, to exploit them. so they can turn it around to being your fault.
Good advice. Note that another A&S poster took to task someone who gave identical advice to motorists and called it a "yahoo comment". See https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post15288231
Old 02-21-13, 11:36 PM
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Good advice. Note that another A&S poster took to task someone who gave identical advice to motorists and called it a "yahoo comment". See https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post15288231
Yes.
We get it ILTB.

We're all a bunch of whiny hypocrites.

Is Cheshire satisfied?
Old 02-22-13, 05:42 AM

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you haven't already - make sure you have a doctors report. Call one of those accident-injury lawyers to get some FREE advice. That said- remember they make a living getting a % from any recovery. Keep us apprised. Enough of us here have previous accident experience. Some even with compensation.
Old 02-22-13, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Sounds like you've read it, but if you haven't, please read this thread, stickied at the top of the A&S subforum:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...MBERS-READ****
Old 02-22-13, 07:37 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Yes.
We get it ILTB.

We're all a bunch of whiny hypocrites.

Is Cheshire satisfied?
Not really, not everybody here wears that label. Especially not with such pride.
Old 02-22-13, 10:53 AM

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
You haven't even spoken with the driver's insurance company yet? When I was hit, they called the next day, or the day after. It took almost 2 years, and I did get a lawyer, to finally get things settled. I didn't get a lot of cash, but I just wanted to make sure 1) his insurance paid the medical bills, and 2) he was 100% at fault, which his insurance company was trying to fight. I won the case, and should be getting a small settlement check after it's all done.
Old 02-22-13, 11:19 AM
Slob

Bikes: 1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your insurance company might go after his. Talk to them. Other than that, hire an attorney to represent you in this matter and cease all other communication about it. Everything else is just messing around.
Old 02-22-13, 11:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the tips everyone.

It sounds like I've got everything covered so far - doctor's report, LBS evaluation of the bike, pictures, a police report is filed, and I have witness contact info.

The only thing I'm waiting on is to hear from her insurance. When I spoke to my insurance company, the representative said she would contact them and make sure a report was filed and that they are acting on it. I was taken away in an ambulance before I could exchange information with the driver, so (although both of our information was in the police report), it is possible that they didn't have my information for a while. For now, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that.

Thanks again!
Old 02-22-13, 12:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you haven't heard yet, maybe give the driver a call and ask for the insurance company and claim number. Or just call the insurance company, I suppose. Maybe the driver hasn't called them yet.

Keep in mind they WILL try to pin blame on you, even if it's clear in your mind that it wasn't your fault. Did the driver admit fault? Is there a police report? Did the driver tell the correct story to the police? Be sure you know your story of what happened, no holes or unknowns, no possibility of partial fault. They won't be trying to be fair, or understanding. They will only give you a settlement if they think you would sound good to a jury, and they can't poke any holes in your case. In that case, settling is easier than going to court. Even if the driver DID admit fault to them, if you admit partial fault you are sunk.

I had a bad accident where the driver had a very different story from mine, the cop who took her statement believed hers over mine, and wrote in the police report that it was my fault. In addition, my memory of certain details was pretty hazy, due to a head injury and losing consciousness. I remembered everything before the accident, but not the collision or much after. There were witnesses, but the cop "lost" their info. Despite that, I KNEW it was her fault, but I wouldn't sound sure, or believable, so I got a lawyer. Best decision ever. He knew how to tell the story better than I could, and I never had to talk to them at all. And got the maximum settlement, despite the fact the driver continued to swear it was my fault.
Old 02-22-13, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by tedwardg
Thanks for all the tips everyone.

It sounds like I've got everything covered so far - doctor's report, LBS evaluation of the bike, pictures, a police report is filed, and I have witness contact info.

The only thing I'm waiting on is to hear from her insurance. When I spoke to my insurance company, the representative said she would contact them and make sure a report was filed and that they are acting on it. I was taken away in an ambulance before I could exchange information with the driver, so (although both of our information was in the police report), it is possible that they didn't have my information for a while. For now, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on that.

Thanks again!
Get a copy of the police report and check it over. If anything doesn't jive with your recollection of the accident, ask the cops about filing some kind of addendum with your version of events.
Old 02-22-13, 12:43 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You might want to begin by again calling your insurance company and asking why you have yet to hear anything from the other party's insurer.
Old 02-22-13, 06:00 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
OP can even call the drivers insurance himself.

When motorist have hit me, I do not even go through my insurance. I just call the drivers insurance, even if the driver has not called them yet. Drivers hate it when the insurance agent calls them and ask if they were in a collision.

But since OP already called his own insurance, I would just ask them for the name and number of the drivers insurance adjuster.