Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Who else wants one of these?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Who else wants one of these?

Old 04-09-14, 12:31 AM

Bikes: 3 folders, 2 recumbents (1 is electric), 1 recumbent trike, 1 touring, 1 mountain, 1 road bike -- So many bicycles, so little time.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Super-compact bike went to the park today.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0515.jpg (100.9 KB, 135 views)
IMAG0516.jpg (100.8 KB, 132 views)
IMAG0517.jpg (101.5 KB, 132 views)
IMAG0519.jpg (100.9 KB, 127 views)
Old 04-10-14, 12:26 PM

Bikes: Nishiki Prestige, Reign, IH Warrior, Rockhopper, Brompton, Q-Bike, Forever, Free-Ride, Dahon, Merckx Premium, Litespeed Teramo, Raleigh MTi 1000, Motobecane Fly Ti, OnOne 456, Kona Unit, Transition TransAM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by overbyte
So jealous right now... not just because of the bike, but because you have such nice places to ride to.

As of today, my tracking number doesn't even show up in FedEx's site. Does the bike just show up at your door, or does the tracking number eventually registers?
Old 04-10-14, 01:45 PM

Bikes: 3 folders, 2 recumbents (1 is electric), 1 recumbent trike, 1 touring, 1 mountain, 1 road bike -- So many bicycles, so little time.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tk1971
So jealous right now... not just because of the bike, but because you have such nice places to ride to.

As of today, my tracking number doesn't even show up in FedEx's site. Does the bike just show up at your door, or does the tracking number eventually registers?
I bought mine from a seller on AliExpress.com. On the "orders" page, there is a status link which showed me the tracking number after the product was received by FedEx. At first, that tracking number was unknown on the FedEx site, but later it showed up with tracking progress reporting.

Where did you order yours? I've seen several sellers on AliExpress and one on eBay.
Old 04-10-14, 02:07 PM

Bikes: Helix, Brompton, Rivendell, Salsa, and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
No kidding... this week was the first actual week of genuinely warm weather in Southern Ontario.
Old 04-10-14, 03:55 PM

Bikes: Nishiki Prestige, Reign, IH Warrior, Rockhopper, Brompton, Q-Bike, Forever, Free-Ride, Dahon, Merckx Premium, Litespeed Teramo, Raleigh MTi 1000, Motobecane Fly Ti, OnOne 456, Kona Unit, Transition TransAM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought mine from a seller on AliExpress.com. On the "orders" page, there is a status link which showed me the tracking number after the product was received by FedEx. At first, that tracking number was unknown on the FedEx site, but later it showed up with tracking progress reporting.

Where did you order yours? I've seen several sellers on AliExpress and one on eBay.
Overbyte: Same seller... I clicked on your link from the other thread. My tracking number does not yet exist on the FedEx system.

Ozonation: I'm in Southern California, where drivers are less tolerant of bikes (motored or foot powered). Although the weather has been good, I try to stay off busy streets. Too many close calls.
Old 04-10-14, 04:23 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Overbyte: Same seller... I clicked on your link from the other thread. My tracking number does not yet exist on the FedEx system.
That happened to me, too. There's a time limit for the seller to ship the product and notify AliExpress, otherwise the order gets canceled and your money is returned to you. The seller didn't have the bike on hand; she ordered from the factory to ship it to her. Because time was running out, she entered into AliExpress that she had shipped it, when in fact she had not yet. When she actually did ship, she canceled that prior notice and entered the actual correct FedEx number, which was recognized by FedEx. You can chat with her to confirm that's what's going on. Be aware of the time difference between California and China. (You can get current time in China by entering "China time now" in Google search.) The AliExpress page has a link to start the chat. Once FedEx has it, you can watch the progress on FedEx's tracking site. Mine took 6 days exactly to arrive at my door. It moved around Asia for most of those days, getting the airplane loaded fully I suppose, and then once it left Asia, it got to me amazingly fast.
Old 04-10-14, 04:32 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thinking about some more upgrades

I got the idea of replacing the seatpost with a telescoping post. The seatpost on the bike now is outside diameter 31.8 mm. If I can't find a telescoping post that is 31.8, I will try to find a post that is a good fit of the inside diameter of the 31.8 seat post and then use a 31.8 seatpost clamp (which is intended to clamp around a 31.8" O.D. seat tube of the frame). This home-made telescoping seatpost was mentioned on another forum here, which is where I got the idea. Making a slit with a stress-relieving hole at its bottom will allow the seat tube to grip the new inner post when the clamp tightens, just like the real seat tubes. I would either buy a cheap alloy 31.8" seat tube and cut off the top end and slit it and use it as the outer sleeve of the telescope, or sacrifice the one that came with the bike.

With a telescoping seat tube, the rider can have better leg extension like a larger bike. Then the next challenge would be to extend the steering stem if possible.
Old 04-10-14, 04:46 PM
master of bottom licks

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Although the chain is on the left, you still pedal forward to move the bike forward, so the pedals screw into the crank arms in the normal way: on the right side, righty-tighty; on the left side, lefty-tighty.
So in other words both crank arms are "special" in that you can't use standard crank arms if you're worried about pedals loosening. I think that's what tk1971 was getting at with his question.
Old 04-10-14, 04:52 PM
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So it uses a chain and a belt. I'm not sure I really like that proposition. However that go-cart drum brake is intriguing.
Old 04-10-14, 05:04 PM
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
... It moved around Asia for most of those days, getting the airplane loaded fully I suppose, and then once it left Asia, it got to me amazingly fast.
It's amazing how quickly orders can be delivered nowadays. I had a a hi-res photo of a cathedral that I wanted printed on canvas to mount on a 36"X48" stretcher frame. I placed the order on a Tuesday morning and got the canvas by Wednesday afternoon... it came from China.
Old 04-10-14, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I got the idea of replacing the seatpost with a telescoping post. The seatpost on the bike now is outside diameter 31.8 mm. If I can't find a telescoping post that is 31.8,
How long is the post that you have?
Old 04-10-14, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BassNotBass
It's amazing how quickly orders can be delivered nowadays. I had a a hi-res photo of a cathedral that I wanted printed on canvas to mount on a 36"X48" stretcher frame. I placed the order on a Tuesday morning and got the canvas by Wednesday afternoon... it came from China.
that is funny.

one day last year, i was in greenpoint, brooklyn then, almost exactly 24 hours later, i was in jakarta, indonesia.
Old 04-10-14, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
also, 31.8mm is exactly the same diameter as the brompton seatpost which comes in three sizes. one of those sizes is actually telescopic. the outré coincidences of this weird and wild modern world keep piling up...
Old 04-10-14, 06:47 PM
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
that is funny.

one day last year, i was in greenpoint, brooklyn then, almost exactly 24 hours later, i was in jakarta, indonesia.
I remember that day. Sreten brought some primo herb.
Old 04-10-14, 07:50 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So in other words both crank arms are "special" in that you can't use standard crank arms if you're worried about pedals loosening. I think that's what tk1971 was getting at with his question.
No, that's not what I mean. The crank arms are both the kind that mount onto square tapered bottom bracket shaft. That looks normal to me. The pedals screw into the crank arms in the normal way. The left pedal is a standard left pedal with 9/16" reverse thread (left-handed thread) that screws into the crank arm by rotating the screw counter clockwise when viewed from the outside of the bike. The right pedal is also standard in that it screws in by turning clockwise (right-handed thread). The pedals are interchangeable with any other 9/16" pedals. In fact, I removed the folding pedals from a different bike (which has a normal right-side chain drive) and put them onto the little super-compact folding bike. The pedals don't loosen on their own. You need a 15 mm pedal wrench.

It appears to me that the crank arms are normal crank arms but they are 160 mm long (center of bottom bracket shaft to center of pedal shaft).
Old 04-10-14, 07:55 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smallwheeler
also, 31.8mm is exactly the same diameter as the brompton seatpost which comes in three sizes. one of those sizes is actually telescopic. the outré coincidences of this weird and wild modern world keep piling up...
That's interesting, but I don't think I can buy a Brompton telescoping seat post in the US where I am. I searched and found an online seller "Evans Cycles" which listed the Brompton telescoping seat post (pillar). They say "Please Note that Brompton Accessories cannot be purchased for international delivery and can only be delivered to an address within the UK"

Maybe the post is available from a US dealer of Brompton bikes for US delivery or pickup.

UPDATE: Yes, it is available only in steel from NYCeWheels.com: https://www.nycewheels.com/brompton-t...tube.html#tab2

This site confirms that the outside diameter of the Brompton seat post is 31.8mm:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-...d2929/?geoc=us and that the UK Brompton dealers can't ship it outside of the UK.

Last edited by overbyte; 04-10-14 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-10-14, 08:22 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
How long is the post that you have?
From the minimum insertion mark to the start of the tapered shoulder at the saddle end, the seatpost is 190 mm.
Old 04-10-14, 08:25 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
So it uses a chain and a belt. I'm not sure I really like that proposition. However that go-cart drum brake is intriguing.
Yes, it has a normal chain drive (except for the custom tensioner sprocket) on the left and a toothed belt on the right side from jackshaft to rear sprocket. The belt is necessary to allow the rear wheel to fold up.
Old 04-10-14, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
From the minimum insertion mark to the start of the tapered shoulder at the saddle end, the seatpost is 190 mm.
If you have any interest, I've got a new full carbon seatpost that measures 279mm and a new black aluminum that measures 330mm from min insertion to top of post before seat mounting hardware in 31.8 ..
Old 04-10-14, 10:07 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BruceMetras
If you have any interest, I've got a new full carbon seatpost that measures 279mm and a new black aluminum that measures 330mm from min insertion to top of post before seat mounting hardware in 31.8 ..
Thanks, Bruce. I'll stay away from carbon fiber for this little bike, but maybe someone else would want to try it.
I've found several 31.8 mm seat posts on Niagaracycle.com for not much money, including one that is 400 mm. I need to measure my other bikes to decide what is the ideal seat height for me, and then figure out what seatpost length to get. To preserve the compactness when fully folded, I think I'll need to go with a telescoping seatpost to make a significant increase in seat height.
Old 04-11-14, 06:11 AM
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No, that's not what I mean. The crank arms are both the kind that mount onto square tapered bottom bracket shaft. That looks normal to me. The pedals screw into the crank arms in the normal way. The left pedal is a standard left pedal with 9/16" reverse thread (left-handed thread) that screws into the crank arm by rotating the screw counter clockwise when viewed from the outside of the bike. The right pedal is also standard in that it screws in by turning clockwise (right-handed thread). The pedals are interchangeable with any other 9/16" pedals. In fact, I removed the folding pedals from a different bike (which has a normal right-side chain drive) and put them onto the little super-compact folding bike. The pedals don't loosen on their own. You need a 15 mm pedal wrench.

It appears to me that the crank arms are normal crank arms but they are 160 mm long (center of bottom bracket shaft to center of pedal shaft).
If you take a standard right side drive crank arm (the one with the chain ring spider) that has a standard "clockwise to tighten" pedal threading and mount it on the left side, the pedal threads are now reversed because on the left side the pedal threads should be counter-clockwise to tighten. So yeah, those appear to be special cranks.
Old 04-11-14, 07:28 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you take a standard right side drive crank arm (the one with the chain ring spider) that has a standard "clockwise to tighten" pedal threading and mount it on the left side, the pedal threads are now reversed because on the left side the pedal threads should be counter-clockwise to tighten. So yeah, those appear to be special cranks.
I think this should clear up the confusion. Yes, they are special crank arms. The crank arms are normal in the way that pedals mount, but they are special crank arms because the chainring is attached to the left arm. The pedals are normal. The "L" marked pedal goes on the rider's left crank arm. The "R" pedal goes on the rider's right crank arm. The L pedal has a counter-clockwise thread as they normally do. The R pedal has a clockwise thread like they normally do. The only difference in this crankset from the usual cranksets is that the chainring is attached to the left crank arm instead of to the right crank arm, on the rider's left side of the bottom bracket. In that sense, they are special, but other than that they are normal cranks. You still pedal the normal way, forward over the top of the cranking arc, to move the bike forward. You can't mount an "R" pedal on the left crank arm because the thread inside the left crank arm is counterclockwise to insert it but an R pedal has a clockwise thread as they normally are. You can use any 9/16" normal pedals. The crank arms attach to the bottom bracket shaft by a tapered hole over the tapered end of the shaft, as normal, but you can't use a normal crankset because the chainring would have to be mounted to the opposite crank arm than in the normal set.

In summary, yes they are special crank arms due to the chainring, but you can use any normal pedal in the normal place.

Last edited by overbyte; 04-11-14 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 07:51 AM
master of bottom licks

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you a politician? You seem to be babbling on about stuff that was never a concern. The point is you cannot really replace these cranks with just any readily available set of cranks.

Last edited by BassNotBass; 04-11-14 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 07:59 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dude you're pointing out stuff that was never a concern. The point being you cannot really replace these cranks with just any readily available set of cranks. You'll have to source these special cranks.
I didn't understand the concern before my last post, I was focused on the pedals' thread, but then I realized what people were saying. They are special cranks, so if one breaks, you'd have to order them from the factory in China through the seller where you bought them, or have a metal fabricator make a custom one, or weld the broken arm. They are steel, not alloy. I'd say they're not likely to break. Less likely than an aluminum alloy crank. If you want longer or lighter crank arms, you'd have to find a way to mount the chainring on the left arm.

The bike has mostly special parts, custom made for this bike only, in the frame and drive-train. In a way, that's the reason for its charm and unique folding, but it's a risk you take. The seller says she can get spare parts directly from the factory.

Last edited by overbyte; 04-11-14 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Are you a politician? You seem to be babbling on about stuff that was never a concern. The point is you cannot really replace these cranks with just any readily available set of cranks.
Sounds like one might be able to find compatible crank designs from those made for tandems - i.e. it's common for the rear (stoker's) crankset to have chainrings mounted on both left and right sides while the front (captain's) set only has a chainring on the left side. Therefore a replacement captain's crankset should work on these bikes if they use a standard square-taper BB. Certainly not as easy to find as a regular set of cranks, but might be an option if the special parts for this bike became unavailable (company goes under, etc.).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.