Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Riding on Gravel: What Bike Should I Buy?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-13, 07:42 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question for those of you that venture off the paved road:

I bought a road bike last summer and can't wait for the weather to warm up a little more to get off the trainer and back outdoors. I live in an area with a lot of gravel roads and there are a few gravel road races in town as well. Obviously, I dont want or plan to take my road bike on gravel, and while I do own a mountain bike...it is very old and I'm leaving that for putzing around on trails.

So what is my best option for gravel riding? A 29'er with non aggressive tires? Cyclocross? Road bike with cyclocross tires?

Any specific bike suggestions? This would be a secondary bike so I don't want to drop a ton of cash on it...but open to any ideas.
Old 03-04-13, 07:53 PM

Bikes: 1981 Bianchi Limited 650B conversion (sold), 1985(?) Guerciotti retro-roadie, 2018 Specialized Allez Sprint, 2012 Specialized Crux, mid 80's Focus MB-400

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A road bike than can fit 35mm tires would be a good choice, such as a Surly Cross Check. It might also be possible to find an older steel road bike which can fit tires that fat. There are lots of good options for tires in that size, 35mm or 37mm Panaracer Paselas aren't too pricy and will do great on gravel.
Old 03-04-13, 08:00 PM
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
if it's hard packed dirt, I'd use my regular road bike. loose gravel requires some fatter rubber and floatation.
Old 03-04-13, 08:38 PM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Gravel racing is growing quickly so there are lots of options including purpose-built gravel bikes. Wider tires are nice but you can be quite happy on 28s. Weight and gearing matter a great deal on gravel because the grades tend to be a lot steeper than on paved roads. Disc brakes can be nice for mud and ice. You really have to figure out what you're willing to spend and what trade-offs you're willing to make.
Old 03-04-13, 08:47 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Salsa has a rather nice gravel racer - the Warbird. I think that I'd lump Hampsten's Strada Bianca in the same category. For the most part, gravel racers seem to be a lot like a CX, but without the higher BB (for clearance) or re-rerouted cabling (for shouldering).

Oops - just saw the "not a ton of cash" stipulation.
Old 03-04-13, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
BMC Gran Fondo.... Not a road bike per-say and not a cross bike but a nice mix of the two.
Old 03-04-13, 09:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Oops - just saw the "not a ton of cash" stipulation.
It would be my secondary bike and I probably won't use it nearly as often as my road bike. That said, I'm hoping for a $500-$1000 deal...probably something used.

Thanks for the advice so far - keep it coming!
Old 03-04-13, 09:02 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
^^^ I saw one of those through the front window of an LBS a couple days ago - nice lookin' bike.
Old 03-04-13, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go with an aggressive-geo cyclocross bikes. Put on Kenda Happy Mediums, Clement X'Plore USH, or teh such on and your set up well.

Cyclocross bikes will handle turns in those conditions far better due to physics besides the clearance for such tires. The extended wheelbase and CS, more laid back HT angle and fork rake, etc. It's control when traction isn't ideal like dry pavement.
Old 03-04-13, 09:36 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by el nicho
It would be my secondary bike and I probably won't use it nearly as often as my road bike. That said, I'm hoping for a $500-$1000 deal...probably something used.

At that price there isn't much at MSRP other than the most basic Specialized TriCross. Maybe look for last year's model Bianchi Volpe or Surly Cross Check.
Old 03-04-13, 09:40 PM

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I have These 37mm continentals on this:

click for big

Wonderful bike, goes anywhere on those tires as long as it's not ridiculously muddy or icy.

If you've got the wrenching skills, my mind says to pick up a BD cyclocross bike (or the frameset from bikeisland like the PO of my bike did) and see if you like the 'cross/swiss army knife bike world.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 03-04-13, 10:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took a cycling tour in Tibet which basically followed the Friendship Highway from Lhasa to Katmandu in Nepal. Most of the tour was on gravel with a variety of surfaces, any of which can be found here in Iowa.
There was mucky mud, hard pack, pea gravel, stony gravel, and even some macadam. With a lot of commercial traffic carrying goods in straight trucks, a lot of the road was washboard. Several of the riders were using double suspension bikes supplied by the tour operator, and were sorely disappointed when the rear suspension went out. Hard to go fast when you’re loosing fillings.
YMMV – you know your local conditions and own riding style better than I do. Just providing another option to consider.
Old 03-04-13, 11:44 PM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Obviously, I dont want or plan to take my road bike on gravel
Why not? It's fun.
Old 03-05-13, 06:47 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
Why not? It's fun.
I'd rather keep my road bike for the road - its a '05 Madone 5.2 that I take very good care of - I'll ride a connecting gravel road, but I don't want to beat it up. My goal with another bike would also be something to ride into town, lock it up on a bike rack and not worry a ton about it.

What do you all think of the Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro on BikesDirect? $1200 is more than I want to spend, but paying a bit extra for new is okay.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._pro_rival.htm

If my frame size in my Madone is a 62cm, am I safe to buy a 61cm from another company?
Old 03-06-13, 03:58 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Question for those of you that venture off the paved road:

I bought a road bike last summer and can't wait for the weather to warm up a little more to get off the trainer and back outdoors. I live in an area with a lot of gravel roads and there are a few gravel road races in town as well. Obviously, I dont want or plan to take my road bike on gravel, and while I do own a mountain bike...it is very old and I'm leaving that for putzing around on trails.

So what is my best option for gravel riding? A 29'er with non aggressive tires? Cyclocross? Road bike with cyclocross tires?

Any specific bike suggestions? This would be a secondary bike so I don't want to drop a ton of cash on it...but open to any ideas.

HT 29-er. Steel one.
You're wellcome.
Old 03-06-13, 02:40 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts

Cross Bike from Bikes Direct.

I got an aluminum framed CX bike with Ultegra for $899.

I'm going to race Dirty Kanza on it.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-06-13, 02:43 PM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
^ hadn't read down to your BD post when I posted above.

I have that frame. Not bad, a bit heavy. That one is spec'd with better wheels than mine, but $1200 seems a bit pricey. I think you might find a better price for something comparable, or waiting to BD puts it on sale.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-06-13, 02:47 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I'd also suggest a cross bike.

You'll have more options, both with bike models and in versatility of use, than with a dedicated "gravel racer."

On finely crushed gravel, I've done OK with 28c's. Wider tires will let you use lower pressures, which can improve comfort but (for various reasons) may be a little slower than 28's, which in turn will be a little slower than 25's or 23's.
Old 03-06-13, 04:33 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
I'd also suggest a cross bike.

You'll have more options, both with bike models and in versatility of use, than with a dedicated "gravel racer."

On finely crushed gravel, I've done OK with 28c's. Wider tires will let you use lower pressures, which can improve comfort but (for various reasons) may be a little slower than 28's, which in turn will be a little slower than 25's or 23's.
Not necessarily. A true dedicated cross bike is more likely to have a higher bottom bracket and a shorter head tube. After all, cross races aren't particularly long. That won't be as comfortable as a bike designed for 6+ hour days. Pay more attention to the particulars than the marketing.
Old 03-06-13, 06:03 PM
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP - What about a road frame built for 57mm brakes?

If you don't plan to run fenders (and I wouldn't for gravel) you'd be able to fit a 30-33mm tire in there no problem.
Old 03-06-13, 10:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Not necessarily. A true dedicated cross bike is more likely to have a higher bottom bracket and a shorter head tube. After all, cross races aren't particularly long. That won't be as comfortable as a bike designed for 6+ hour days. Pay more attention to the particulars than the marketing.
In that case do you still recommend a Surly Cross Check or Bianchi Volpe? I'm having a hard time finding either of those used. Any more main stream recommendations?

At this point after trying to gather information I'm torn between a hardtail 29'er and a CX bike.
Old 03-07-13, 02:42 AM

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Bianchi mongrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the new Giant Anyroad; this bike, currently only available here in Taiwan looks pretty sweet. USD1000 with Tiagara. https://www.giantcyclingworld.com/web...6-f29c0aedb6e7

Should generate quite a bit of buzz at teh bike show next week.
Old 03-07-13, 04:07 AM

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Get a cyclocross. A 29er hardtail is wasted on gravel.
Like normal road riding, gravel riding is about speed and a cx bike will give you just that with the road bars, aero position and quicker stiffer handling. A 29er is designed for singletrack and much much rougher terrain than mere gravel. Also a 29er is not going to be as comfy on longer rides since it has less hand positions, much wider bars and a more upright riding position.

I have both and for gravel riding I would always take the cx. And a shorter headtube on cx bikes is a flexibility issue. Flexibilty can be quite easily be attained by stretching. At least for younger folks.
Old 03-07-13, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
In that case do you still recommend a Surly Cross Check or Bianchi Volpe? I'm having a hard time finding either of those used. Any more main stream recommendations?

I love my Cross Check. It's a cross bike, a road bike and a touring bike all wrapped up in one..

Old 03-07-13, 07:15 AM
No longer here

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet CC,my friend! (I have nothing new to add to the OP,there are some great suggestions on here already )(rowebr,for the record,CX bikes are not just "road bikes that can fit 37mm tires"...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.