Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Internal geared hub

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Internal geared hub

Old 03-04-13, 09:18 PM
LDB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Internal geared hub

It's been suggested an IGH is the most maintenance free and arguably best choice for casual riding at leisurely speeds. Thoughts/comments/input?
Old 03-04-13, 09:56 PM

Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IGH can take a lot of abuse, so it isn't so clear that casual riding is where they shine the brightest. They seen to do very nicely on commuter bikes. There is a fellow around town here whose bike has an 8 speed Alfine and he has done Paris-Brest-Paris a couple times - I think he was on that bike. And people go on long tours too with IGH. Of course people do all those things even with fixed gear bikes!

I mostly like getting the full range of ratios with a single shifter. When I am fresh at the start of a ride I can keep track of front and rear and avoid crossing the chain, but at the end of a long ride I get really tired and my poor brain can't figure it out and I am always getting caught in awkward configurations. There are roads around here that switch from steep up to steep down quite quickly. Mostly I would want to use my front shifter with its wider steps but it is slow to shift. With an IGH I can flip quick and easy through a wide range of gears.
Old 03-05-13, 12:12 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LDB
It's been suggested an IGH is the most maintenance free and arguably best choice for casual riding at leisurely speeds. Thoughts/comments/input?
Yes, IGH are very trouble free while offering a decent gear ratios for the street of road. One must pay close attention to the front chain ring to get a lower ratios to make the higher ratios of the hub more useful. A 36 tooth front chain ring seems to be the best choice for 3,7,and 8 speed hubs when riding on the street.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 03-05-13, 02:00 PM
Slob

Bikes: 1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Sturmey Archer AW on my old 3-speed. Works best for short-mid distance jaunts on mostly flat terrain and trails. I can handle hills on it as long as they're not steep for very long. Anything steep that climbs for more than I guess about 1/4 mile turns kinda hellish on this thing.

I was going to attempt my 12-mile (each way) commute on the old 3-speed, but it wasn't quite up to it. There were a few climbs I just found too grueling.

But it's a great neighborhood bike and leisurely cruiser.

The gear hub is good for someone who's not too into bikes because you can shift it anytime, whether pedaling or not.
Old 03-05-13, 02:13 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a fan for commuting/touring and just riding around. I have the most expensive version - a 14-speed Rohloff - on my tourer and it is a delight. But I grew up with the sturmey-archer 3-speed and still have a lot of respect for them. Tough, durable, easy to adjust and, if you can be bothered, to strip down and fix. They allow you to run a singlespeed chain which as well as lasting longer than the multi-speed versions keeps a perfect chainline and allows commuters to put on a chainguard (unless they're too cool for such a thing!) and ride in ordinary clothes without worrying about oil etc.Good technology.
Old 03-05-13, 09:26 PM
LDB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A chain guard is one reason I was thinking about one of the bikes with a Nexus. That and maybe being a little less appealing to thieves if there's not the usual gearset and derailleur visible at the back.
Old 03-06-13, 02:09 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Shimano has a strong presence in components on most brands, huge company,
so most bikes seem to have shimano on them, IGH, (and derailleur drivetrains)
Nexus is their trade name.

Sram bought Sachs, they are not doing much in the IGH sector, currently.

Sturmey Archer now owned bySun Race, is making a larger variety of IGH Hubs,
than the old British company did.

I have a Sturmey Archer IGH , 3 speed in my Brompton.
a special narrow rear hub was made in UK ,
and now the new owners of SA continue doing that .

Rohloff, 14 speed, on the one I"ve been using most.. hilly here so range of ratios is good.
disc brakes .. Its Wet Here.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-06-13 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-06-13, 11:25 AM
Slob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should say that there is one main disadvantage of hub gears, and that is efficiency. It's said that there's up to 8% efficiency lost compared to a derailleur system. Some riders say they can feel it. I doubt you will even notice it unless you're racing or timing yourself, or it's a 10+ mile haul, or both.
Old 03-06-13, 01:37 PM
Slob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the other hand, I just threw the chain on my Zum at 40 mph, something that just does not happen on my 3-speed.
Old 03-06-13, 01:46 PM
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GrouchoWretch
I should say that there is one main disadvantage of hub gears, and that is efficiency. It's said that there's up to 8% efficiency lost compared to a derailleur system. Some riders say they can feel it. I doubt you will even notice it unless you're racing or timing yourself, or it's a 10+ mile haul, or both.
I don't doubt that there is some loss of efficiency. That is one reason I wouldn't suggest an IGH for racing. But even when in the lowest gears on my rohloff, I can barely notice it and the question is, do I care that when touring or commuting I might lose a half-mile per hour for a given level of effort? No, I don't. Nothing is perfect, but this is a trade-off I am happy with.
Old 03-06-13, 01:47 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Going up hills is inefficient..
Old 03-06-13, 08:17 PM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have 30 plus bikes at my disposal over 20 of them are IGH for a reason...

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-06-13, 08:47 PM

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition-1974 Raleigh Folder-1983 Austro Daimler-198? Fuji Monterey-Surly LHT-Surly Karate Monkey-Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there appears to be a resurgence in the use of IGHs. I think for the reasons you originally mentioned. They are low maintenance and durable. Also, the gearing is protected from the elements. I have 2 bikes with IGHs. One has a 1974 SA AW3 and the other is a more modern SRAM i-Motion 3 speed. They both work great.