Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Possibly selling my bike...

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 03:50 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

...and got no idea about valuation .

Product page for the bike, which is all OEM, except the 'mystery horn' has been removed, the grips have been upgraded to Ergon's, and it has been accessorized with a kickstand, rear rack, bottle cage(s), bar ends, and I think the seat wedge, inner tube, and cheap mini-pump will go with it. The handlebar has some scuff marks from when I used some hose clamps to secure a flashlight, but that should be easily 'fixed' by moving the cheap Schwinn computer to cover it.

Depending on the outcome of a looming appointment with the Opthamologist, I may not be replacing it . If I'm not cleared, the the Townie baskets, the 4D Toplight, and the two PBSF clones will go with it. I'm keeping the Park mt-1 tool and the NR Cherrybomb no matter what.
Old 03-08-13, 03:55 PM
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
that was a $400 bike 6-7 years ago according to bikepedia. if its in perfect condition, maybe half that for resale value. and if its beat up but functional, as low as $100. this is heavily dependent on the market for used bikes in your area.
Old 03-08-13, 04:10 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking $200 for the whole ball of wax would be a good asking price, given the price of something comparable costs more than twice that retail now and that's before the accessories.

The LBS where I bought the bike also does consignments. Depending on the fees (or if they would even be interested), I think I'd go that route than have to hassle with CL.
Old 03-08-13, 04:26 PM

Bikes: kona dew hybrid, MEC shadowlands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Smoke is a great city bike. Too bad you have to sell it. More importantly, too bad I don't like in OK so I can buy it off you.
Old 03-08-13, 04:58 PM
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ottawa_adam
The Smoke is a great city bike. Too bad you have to sell it. More importantly, too bad I don't like in OK so I can buy it off you.
Thank you. It is a decent bike to be sure, but if I had a better understanding of a proper 'fit', I probably would have passed on it- it is a tad too big (22" frame) for me to be comfortable on, but not to the point where it can't be ridden.

IIRC, I got it for 30% off list. It was NOS in '08 and bought during an anniversary sale. It basically came down to this or the Smoke 2-9 model, but the shop owner knew my financial picture and suggested the one I ended up with based solely on the standover. The money I saved went to placating my wife for not buying from a Big Box store
Old 03-08-13, 07:39 PM

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
...and got no idea about valuation .

Product page for the bike, which is all OEM, except the 'mystery horn' has been removed, the grips have been upgraded to Ergon's, and it has been accessorized with a kickstand, rear rack, bottle cage(s), bar ends, and I think the seat wedge, inner tube, and cheap mini-pump will go with it. The handlebar has some scuff marks from when I used some hose clamps to secure a flashlight, but that should be easily 'fixed' by moving the cheap Schwinn computer to cover it.

Depending on the outcome of a looming appointment with the Opthamologist, I may not be replacing it . If I'm not cleared, the the Townie baskets, the 4D Toplight, and the two PBSF clones will go with it. I'm keeping the Park mt-1 tool and the NR Cherrybomb no matter what.
Lets be more positive, maybe a new bike could be in order here.