Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

bike computer woes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

bike computer woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-02, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
bike computer woes

ok, i havent been riding long, and 2 monmths ago i bought myself a specialized comp bike computer, b/c it seemed like fun. i was all about the computer, and found the info it provided to be very valuable to my growth as a rider.

problem is, the other day, the thing started going on the fritz. it wasnt registering any kinda mph or showing that any distance was being covered, it spent lots of time reading grossly improper speeds (like, staying steady at .7 mph while i rode half a mile at around what i'd assume to be 10-15 mph.) basically, overnight, it had become useless. i brought it into the shop where i bought it, and they swore they'd fix it. when i teturned, they said it was fixed, and it did work (seemingly) correctly for maybe half a city block. then, it went on the fritz again. worse, they seem to have broken one of the buttons...not totally broken, but very loose and um yeah, it's really kinda broken b/c it doesnt always "realize" that i'm pressing it.

what would y'all do? should i try to get it replaced by the dealer? should i just say to **** with it and buy something different? it's no fun when you spend $40 on something and only get 2 months/350 miles out of it. for those of you recomending that i just get something different, what do you recomend for commuting/light trails/do-it-all biking? i'm looking at the cateye astrale, but am totally open to suggestion.

tia,
-rob
Old 05-12-02, 02:04 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Try replacing the battery and cleaning the battery and computer body electrical contacts. Also, carefully inspect the mounting position of the magnet and sensor. If it still acts "fritzy," take it back to the shop and ask them to diagnose and replace it.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-12-02, 09:05 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
thanks, john, i'll try that...=)

-rob
Old 05-13-02, 05:59 AM
Don't Believe the Hype

Bikes: 1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have an astrale, and sometimes the same thing happens to it. especially after a rain/drizzle. mine always seems to be the contacts between then computer and the contacts. although sometimes i've found that the sensor on the rear wheel gets dirt on it....
Old 05-13-02, 04:17 PM
riding a Pinarello Prince

Bikes: Pinarello, Prince and an FP5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well you're not alone on that one although I have a different Bike computer its a Cateye CCHB100, its acting like that after about 15,000 KM so planning to buy a new Computer for my bike, well I have use this one for over two years now
Old 05-13-02, 11:45 PM

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
update:

the computer is very dead, and seemingly shall remain so forever. ah, well. a lesson learned, and some $$$ wasted. has anyone else had similar problems with a specialized computer so quickly? it sucks b/c my gf bought a similar one by the same manufacturer, and now i'm worried about hers, too.

part of me thinks i dont even "need" a computer, but i thought it was pretty useful. i'll give it a week without it, and see how i feel.

-rob