Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

ny to colorado

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

ny to colorado

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ny to colorado

Hey, I'm planning on biking from NY to colorado. Does anyone have any advice on routes I should take? I want to try to avoid bad areas as much as possible. That is the main thing. I appreciate it.
Old 03-15-13, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
What are "bad areas?"

Have you looked into Adventure Cycling Association's route maps? Their TransAmerica route (among others) goes through CO.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/RouteNetwork.pdf

If you can get to somewhere like Erie, PA you could pick up their Underground Railroad route to tha TransAm route. Or take the Northern Tier route to the Great Rivers route to the TransAm.

The maps are handy as they show the locations of things like campgrounds, motels, grocery stores, bike shops, etc. Helps with the planning if that suits you.
Old 03-15-13, 12:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad Areas are areas with a relatively high crime rate. I will definitely have a look at that link. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-15-13, 01:52 PM

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
I suspect by the time you're done you'll have redefined "bad areas" as "Trip segments with more than ten miles between ice-cream stores".
Old 03-15-13, 02:38 PM

Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are starting from New York City, you'll probably ride across the George Washington Bridge... and then?

Here's a website where you might get some clues:

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/l...octype=journal

Mostly you'll be riding through the big white spaces on the map. The biggest challenge riding is probably avoiding narrow roads with too much traffic. Monster hills aren't much fun either!

Sounds like a great trip!
Old 03-15-13, 02:51 PM
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Don't mess with the girls from Muncie, Indiana.
They are tough sisters.
Old 03-15-13, 07:14 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bad areas? I'd think if you can safely extricate yourself from NYC, all else will seem very tame indeed.

Yeah, the ACA maps will relieve you of most preplanning, and likely save you their cost by pointing out low cost overnight spots. OTOH, a diy routing is good too as it would be truly "your" route on a road less traveled, thus unjaded by thousands of previous bike tourist.

A reasonble diy routing can be cobbled together with Google maps, bicycle mode, and state maps.

Last edited by Cyclebum; 03-15-13 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-15-13, 07:59 PM

Bikes: Thorn Nomad Mk2, 1996 Trek 520, Workcycles Transport, Brompton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Saddle River Pathway could help you get through Bergen County:

https://www.nynjtc.org/hike/saddle-river-pathway
Old 03-17-13, 03:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is the terrain like on the Northern Route between New York and North Dakota?
Old 03-18-13, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by git816
What is the terrain like on the Northern Route between New York and North Dakota?

You have the Adirondaks and surrounding areas. Other than that, it's not that difficult. OH, IN and IL are easy terrain-wise. There are some big rollers in IA, but no mountains. MN is relatively tame, too. The real challenge in OH, IN and IL can be the heat and humidity. Corn does not provide shade.

I haven't done the new routing in ND. (AC changed the old route due to the oil boom in the NW part of the state.) However, I did do the old route and a supported tour in ND that went through Bismarck. Generally, you get relatively flat to sweeping rollers with not much that is too steep. Again you have the lack of shade to deal with. And if you get a nasty ND headwind, you can get worn down quickly. During the supported trip we rode for two hours at a 9 mph average over gently rolling terrain. In a tuck going down hill it was hard to get over 13 mph.

Note that the NT goes through Cleveland. Don't be scared. I found it enjoyable. The optional tour of the Emerald Necklace was well worth it. The houses in Cleveland and Shaker Heights were pretty cool.
Old 03-18-13, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to avoid the hills and mountains you could ride south thru NJ to MD's Eastern shore and on to Washington DC. There pick up the C&O/GAP Trail which will land you in Pittsburgh on the other side of the most serious terrain. It's round about but depending on your conditioning it beats walking up hills for days on end.

Be aware that no place is really flat. And places we think of as flat could be anything but. SE Ohio for instance. It's got some killer hills.

Staying away from bad areas is going to take some research. Once you've pinned down your route take a look at the major cities and towns on the route. Something as easy as a google search could get you what you need to know. Or, a call to the local PD. It all goes into the trip planning folder.

Last edited by tom cotter; 03-18-13 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-25-13, 06:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank You!