Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Escape City

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Giant Escape City

Old 03-31-13, 01:46 AM

Bikes: 2013 Giant Escape CIty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just picked mine up today, pics tomorrow. I'm really happy with it so far, riding to work on Monday to see how well a choice I've made.
Old 03-31-13, 07:24 AM

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by whitenhiemer
Just picked mine up today, pics tomorrow. I'm really happy with it so far, riding to work on Monday to see how well a choice I've made.
Congrats !! I can not wait to hear your review, if the shop has that Sram VIA drive train adjusted correctly, you should love the bike. I did something kind of crazy last night, had been telling 2 of my buddies that I would go on a 1 hour ride with them all day. But was really busy up till around 11:00 pm, so we all decided that taking our Road Bikes was not the best idea. (which for me would be my Allez) the roads around here can be rough. One of them on a Cannondale MTB converted to a Hybrid, (all Deore LX) very light bike, and the other on a Trek (something) both guys with 26" wheels. I took the lead right away, with both drafting off me. Once the Cannondale rider jumped up for about 5 minutes or so, but then dropped back. With a 1/8 mile to go, the Trek rider pass's me like I'm sitting still, (had no idea that they would race to the end), then the Cannondale rider comes up beside me. I finished in a close 3rd (last) did lead for 54 minutes we had a blast. We looked silly sitting around drinking Gatorade, looking at our bikes. Mine full fenders, rack, etc. And I didn't really know they were racing, but I'm still loving mine. Again Congratulation's on your new ride, and can not wait to hear what you think, plus some pic's.
Old 03-31-13, 04:41 PM

Giant Escape City (Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rThwD...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-01-13, 10:31 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by xoxoxoxoLive
Congrats !! I can not wait to hear your review, if the shop has that Sram VIA drive train adjusted correctly, you should love the bike. I did something kind of crazy last night, had been telling 2 of my buddies that I would go on a 1 hour ride with them all day. But was really busy up till around 11:00 pm, so we all decided that taking our Road Bikes was not the best idea. (which for me would be my Allez) the roads around here can be rough. One of them on a Cannondale MTB converted to a Hybrid, (all Deore LX) very light bike, and the other on a Trek (something) both guys with 26" wheels. I took the lead right away, with both drafting off me. Once the Cannondale rider jumped up for about 5 minutes or so, but then dropped back. With a 1/8 mile to go, the Trek rider pass's me like I'm sitting still, (had no idea that they would race to the end), then the Cannondale rider comes up beside me. I finished in a close 3rd (last) did lead for 54 minutes we had a blast. We looked silly sitting around drinking Gatorade, looking at our bikes. Mine full fenders, rack, etc. And I didn't really know they were racing, but I'm still loving mine. Again Congratulation's on your new ride, and can not wait to hear what you think, plus some pic's.

It was very nice having fenders and a Rack for this bike, I ride about 10 miles each way and the rain out here is bother some, Fenders are a must. For being full fendered and racked, this ride is very fast and nimble. It's actually quicker then my Road bike that I'm now posting on craigslist this morning. Mainly because the Giant fits much better, and has had a recent tune up.

Old 04-01-13, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't find that bike locally, if I buy one you should get a commission!
Old 04-02-13, 04:26 AM

It was very nice having fenders and a Rack for this bike, I ride about 10 miles each way and the rain out here is bother some, Fenders are a must. For being full fendered and racked, this ride is very fast and nimble. It's actually quicker then my Road bike that I'm now posting on craigslist this morning. Mainly because the Giant fits much better, and has had a recent tune up.

I'm glad you like it, haven't been riding my other bike either for the same reasons. How do you like that Sram VIA drive train ?
Old 04-02-13, 10:18 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm glad you like it, haven't been riding my other bike either for the same reasons. How do you like that Sram VIA drive train ?
I'm not a very experienced cyclist, only really been riding since January, and I have to say that the SRAM VIA does exactly what it needs to do, it shifts gears, as smooth as I can assume they should. More than smooth they are predictable, I know how hard I should be peddling when I want to shift, and I now know which gears are good for which hills on my commute. Very satisfied so far, the only thing I wish was different was the handle bars. I want to put my bullhorns on this bike, Giant uses a large diameter stem, and my old horns don't fit

Buying some panniers this week, it will be nice to not ride with a back pack.
Old 04-02-13, 07:45 PM

I'm not a very experienced cyclist, only really been riding since January, and I have to say that the SRAM VIA does exactly what it needs to do, it shifts gears, as smooth as I can assume they should. More than smooth they are predictable, I know how hard I should be peddling when I want to shift, and I now know which gears are good for which hills on my commute. Very satisfied so far, the only thing I wish was different was the handle bars. I want to put my bullhorns on this bike, Giant uses a large diameter stem, and my old horns don't fit

Buying some panniers this week, it will be nice to not ride with a back pack.
Keep me updated on your pannier search, I'm looking for some also. Would like to get the Topeak MTX trunk bag with panniers. But will not work with Giants factory rack. Glad you are enjoying your new bike. Mine just seems to keep getting better, and its also very comfortable on longer rides.
Old 04-02-13, 07:45 PM

Bikes: Trek 6500, Giant Escape 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, the SRAM VIA is smoother than the Shimano equipped Escape 3?
My local dealer told me they sold out of the Escape line last October and had to wait for Giant to catch up with a fall shipment.
Righ now, my Escape 3 is my main bike and I am looking at upgrading to the RX when funding allows!
Old 04-02-13, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Crankykentucky
So, the SRAM VIA is smoother than the Shimano equipped Escape 3?
My local dealer told me they sold out of the Escape line last October and had to wait for Giant to catch up with a fall shipment.
Righ now, my Escape 3 is my main bike and I am looking at upgrading to the RX when funding allows!
For some reason the Sram VIA "total drive train" is one of the smoothest shifting systems I have ever ridden. I also have Ultegra on my Allez, and have had Deore on many bikes. Was hoping someone else had the same system to compare information.
Old 04-03-13, 11:32 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Keep me updated on your pannier search, I'm looking for some also. Would like to get the Topeak MTX trunk bag with panniers. But will not work with Giants factory rack. Glad you are enjoying your new bike. Mine just seems to keep getting better, and its also very comfortable on longer rides.
Axiom Seymour
https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Seymour-...=axiom+pannier

Axiom Monsoon
https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Monsoon-...=axiom+pannier

These are the two panniers that i'm looking at, I'll probably wait and save up for the Monsoon's, I know that i should. With the rainy weather here in Seattle, I just have to justify the cost to my wife after spending so much on a bicycle. Currently, I use a large TimBuk2 bicycle messenger bag, but it isn't large enough to hold my laptop, change of clothes, lunch and amenities with out being uncomfortable.

I was thinking about getting the Seymour's and just spraying them with water-proofing spray, or keeping my stuff in ziplock bags. I'd love some Ortlieb's as they seem like the standard out here, but ouch they run about $180 for the pannier set.
Old 04-03-13, 03:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Axiom Seymour

Axiom Monsoon

These are the two panniers that i'm looking at, I'll probably wait and save up for the Monsoon's, I know that i should. With the rainy weather here in Seattle, I just have to justify the cost to my wife after spending so much on a bicycle. Currently, I use a large TimBuk2 bicycle messenger bag, but it isn't large enough to hold my laptop, change of clothes, lunch and amenities with out being uncomfortable.

I was thinking about getting the Seymour's and just spraying them with water-proofing spray, or keeping my stuff in ziplock bags. I'd love some Ortlieb's as they seem like the standard out here, but ouch they run about $180 for the pannier set.
They both look great, but I like the design of the Axiom Seymours the best! Can you use something like mink oil to waterproof them?
This is a very interesting thread!
Fred
Old 04-03-13, 03:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For some reason the Sram VIA "total drive train" is one of the smoothest shifting systems I have ever ridden. I also have Ultegra on my Allez, and have had Deore on many bikes. Was hoping someone else had the same system to compare information.
This is good information. I really appreciate the Giant line of bikes even though I want to "like" the Specialized and Trek models I have looked at. One guy I talked to has an Escape City and a Defy for his weekend road work. He says those are the only two bikes he needs.

Thanks for starting this thread--it's one of the best I've followed. Great information.
Fred
Old 04-03-13, 09:06 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Both giant dealers in my area say they don't have the bike in stock and I would have to buy it before they order it? Sucks!
Old 04-04-13, 12:21 AM

Axiom Seymour

Axiom Monsoon

I live in Florida and it rains a lot, (and you never can really plan when). I want the panniers to be large, match the bike, but totally water proof. & easy to take on and off. My intent is to commute from now till late November, I figure with the money that I'm saving, can buy what I want. I personally still need better lights, rain gear, and of course panniers. Oh I never mentioned that I weigh close to 230 pounds, the Giant seems very well built.
Old 04-04-13, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Crankykentucky
This is good information. I really appreciate the Giant line of bikes even though I want to "like" the Specialized and Trek models I have looked at. One guy I talked to has an Escape City and a Defy for his weekend road work. He says those are the only two bikes he needs.

Thanks for starting this thread--it's one of the best I've followed. Great information.
Fred
Thanks for the nice words, I also have a Specialized & my son has a Trek, almost bought an FX 2 instead of the Escape City. But I am really happy with my choice
Old 04-04-13, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by road1bike
Both giant dealers in my area say they don't have the bike in stock and I would have to buy it before they order it? Sucks!
That's not good, I have wanted bikes from internet searching and reviews, etc.. But when I test rode them, was not for me.
Old 04-04-13, 10:33 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Woah, sounds like you need a different bike shop, sorry you are having issues.
Old 04-05-13, 08:51 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I put the deposit down and ordered the Escape city, test rode another escape model and liked the fit and ride. fre tune ups for two years, (whatever that means). I wanted to stay with a shop nar my house. The order won't go in until monday. prbably will take delivery next thursday/friday.
Old 04-05-13, 09:08 PM

Well, I put the deposit down and ordered the Escape city, test rode another escape model and liked the fit and ride. fre tune ups for two years, (whatever that means). I wanted to stay with a shop nar my house. The order won't go in until monday. prbably will take delivery next thursday/friday.
That might be standard about the 20% down, the Giant dealer by my house said the same thing. But he also said that Sram VIA, is really just Sram X7 ( that's good stuff).. He really praised the Escape City & said he was ordering some..
Old 04-05-13, 09:29 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How are the pedals? should I upgrade now? I have some metel pedals with studs on the on my other bike. Solid! I also would like a simple odometer for something with a big face, and bar ends. Can I mount a rear view mirror with bar ends? a good lock?

Last edited by road1bike; 04-05-13 at 09:34 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-06-13, 05:18 AM

How are the pedals? should I upgrade now? I have some metel pedals with studs on the on my other bike. Solid! I also would like a simple odometer for something with a big face, and bar ends. Can I mount a rear view mirror with bar ends? a good lock?
I haven't given much thought about the pedals, (but have plenty to choose from at my house) & gave up on the odometer when I realized how slow I ride. Far as the bar ends go, I will call my friend who has an awesome set on his Giant. Super comfort, has nice bar ends, and mirrors, I think I'm going to pick up a Cygolite : https://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup....FQ6ynQodsngAyg they have in stock here, and a rear blinky that mounts to the rack. And I have this lock : https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/...PNumber=999942 only ranks a 3 (weighs like 2 pounds) hate to think what a 10 is. I sold my Allez, so I have a good bit to spend on accessories. I really want some nice panniers, going to look at some today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0392.jpg (104.5 KB, 80 views)
Old 04-06-13, 09:24 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, I'm no speed demon but I like to know how far I have ridden. Thanks. woke up with Trek 7.2 on the brain.
Old 04-06-13, 11:10 AM

Bikes: Trek 7.2FX Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congrats on the purchase! ..still waiting on my Trek!
Old 04-06-13, 06:09 PM

I did find an upgrade it could use, TEKTRO brake arms, & COOL-STOP pads. That really made a huge difference, it all started with a squeaky front brake and just decided to upgrade it all. Also put a SERFAS CP-300 combo pack light kit on it. Was like 45.00 dollars with tax at the LBS, we will see how it works tonight But if you really wanted to notice an upgrade (BRAKES) just because its so fast.. Link for lights : https://www.serfas.com/products/view...%7Ccombo-packs
Attached Images
DSCN0617.jpg (84.5 KB, 87 views)
DSCN0620.jpg (86.0 KB, 88 views)
DSCN0626.jpg (88.5 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by xoxoxoxoLive; 04-06-13 at 06:41 PM. Reason: add link

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.