Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

How would you dress for low 50s (road biking)

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

How would you dress for low 50s (road biking)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 01:12 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Notgrownup
I made due with wath i had... I am pretty sure a wind breaker will suffice... i might get me a pair of thermal tights but not sure yet...40 in the AM in eastern NC is probably the coldest i will go out this winter so i will get plenty of rides in...Yes it was cotton and it lets the wind in pretty good...I will stop by wal-mart and get a cheap starter windbreaker or something like that...That balaclava and silk liner is what i use for motorcycling in the winter and it works pretty good.

Brings back the good old New Brunswick ski-doo days of bundling up...

be careful you dont get too sweaty in your windbreaker
the irony is
you may have been better off without a windbreaker
because the wind cutting through the cotton will speed evaporation

while you are at walmart
look for something like this
not too pricy
but should help you stay safe and comfortable while riding

also
if you are dressing for riding in nc
the same as you used to dress for snowmobiling in nb
you are dressing incorreclty for riding
Old 11-04-13, 01:24 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Aged Past the road -lycra look in my riding , commuting, daily use..

50's is winter high .. summer low , here .. my recent apoption is sweat pants /track warmups

a compound jersey knit, nylon on the outside , polar fleece on the inside ..

Russell , 1 pair Bangladesh , 1 pair Egyptian, sewn.
Old 11-04-13, 02:45 PM

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
be careful you dont get too sweaty in your windbreaker
the irony is
you may have been better off without a windbreaker
because the wind cutting through the cotton will speed evaporation

while you are at walmart
look for something like this
not too pricy
but should help you stay safe and comfortable while riding

also
if you are dressing for riding in nc
the same as you used to dress for snowmobiling in nb
you are dressing incorreclty for riding
My tee's are wicking fabric...got them at spoting goods store for $14.00 the ones at Walmart were just like cotton... I think at 40 degrees , a regular tee shirt and a windbreaker will do the trick...i can unzip for venting...No, not bundling up like the skidoo days...LOL... i remember the 1 piece snowmobile suit, deer skin mitts with wqool mitts inside and big ol Gum Shoes with the felt liner... Wool ski mask and all...Would go check my traps after school every day... good memories there...
Old 11-04-13, 03:11 PM

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by shepherdsflock
This is a really good recommendation, if you have kneewarmers, armwarmers and a windvest. I don't have any of those things, so I get by with what I recommended above, but if I had this kind of gear, it is exactly what I would wear.
As luck would have it, nearly every bike shop, website, and catalog sell these things. Well worth the investment.

Versatility is key. I love my arm and knee warmers, and the sleeves come off my jacket, making it a vest. If I ride long enough for the weather to change or to get a lot hotter or colder than I thought I would, I like having the option to go from shorts and a jersey to full skin and wind coverage with just a few pieces.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-11-13, 10:12 AM

Bikes: 2013 Trek 1.5

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Notgrownup
41 degrees here this AM at 7:00 for my 10 mile ride... Sweatshirt, long sleeve tshirt over that, silk glove liners and full finger gloves, base layer tights over my padded shorts and a Balaclava... All ok but the shirts. i need a windbreaker. and maybe some warmer gloves for this temp or colder...Got frostbite as a kid in Canada on my toes and fingers and since then they get cold quicker for some odd reason...Either that or that memory still in stamped in my brain and it tells me to warm up quick...LOL. Hadn't got on the bike for 2 weeks and felt good.,
Really? That sounds pretty heavy for 41, then again, everybody has different comfort levels. At this temp I'm good with shorts and single cotton or fleece layer over a wicking t-shirt or jersey. No gloves, warmers, etc. However, into the 30's I'll want to put on gloves, leg warmers or tights, and some kind of wind-breaking layer on top.
Old 11-11-13, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Icculus21
Really? That sounds pretty heavy for 41, then again, everybody has different comfort levels. At this temp I'm good with shorts and single cotton or fleece layer over a wicking t-shirt or jersey. No gloves, warmers, etc. However, into the 30's I'll want to put on gloves, leg warmers or tights, and some kind of wind-breaking layer on top.
Man, you so tuff and brave...LOL...Live down south for 22 years and your body acclamates to the heat and humidity...Plus circulation problems and arthritis.... When i was in my 20's living in Canada i could've said the same comment as you did above but not now... I don't have to prove my manliness to anybody anymore and i like to stay warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot...Getting too old for the chest beating from the mountain top...LOL... Been there, done that , Got some Enbrel.
Peace out my Cycling Brother, from another Mother.
Old 11-14-13, 08:16 AM

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any recommendations on cheap tights to put over bike shorts? I don't need PI $100 tights.
Old 11-14-13, 10:46 AM
Cycling Apparel

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd pair up a nice vest with a really nice long sleeve wool jersey -- maybe even throw in a base layer if it is really chilly. Enjoy your ride.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1713.jpg (79.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-14-13, 11:25 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Gramercy
Any recommendations on cheap tights to put over bike shorts? I don't need PI $100 tights.
Just go to the running section of your nearest general sporting goods store like Big 5, Dick's, Sports Authority. You could probably find some at places like Target or Kohl's as well.
Old 11-14-13, 11:25 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Never cotton . Long sleeve Craft tee, long sleeve medium weight jersey, shorts, PI running tight ($65) or leg warmers. Wool socks. Booties if wet road, wind vest to start with, might take it off later. Many people would wear a 3/4 tight but I don't have any.
Old 11-21-13, 09:15 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
last Saturday qualifies for these temps, I did 44 miles with this:
- stiff brown Merrill walking shoes, they must be 8 yrs old but they are still awesome
- thin brown socks
- tri shorts
- Novara headwind pants with Walmart suspenders, I felt chaffing in the creases surprisingly early on. was I too wet? should I have worn just my Lululemon thin cycling pants to start? Probably but I forgot my ankle bands and those pants are quite loose at the bottom. I would have needed a bigger trunk rack to carry all the changes of clothing I cud consider. It would have been good to have lubed the creases with something before I set out. gotta remember a little dab of something for rides over 30 miles. I managed ok by getting out of the saddle and adjusting my layers and "things" from time to time.
- Short sleeve thin capilene base layer
- Short sleeve athletic shirt
- Long sleeve Brooks Podium 1/2 zip running shirt (shud have used my cycling wind break w zip off arms. I made it OK without it but just a few degrees cooler and it would have been the right thing to have with me)
- Fingerless gloves 1st half and fingered gloves 2nd 1/2. Fingers were considerable chilly in both directions and any colder I would have wanted a step up in that dept for wind/thermal protection.
- Helmet alone 1st 1/2 and I added a headsweat for the ride back. I was borderline gonna slap on the shower cap wind break that I always promote over the helmet but, like the other areas, if it was a few degrees colder I wud have. That's an easy item to carry.
- Clear sport glasses, I can use a new pair, but they were fine. Toward the end, in the dark they were less than clear and fogged a tiny bit. If my light died I would have gone without them to see better in the dark.
Old 12-07-13, 10:22 PM

Bikes: Scott CR1 Team

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being in NC, you're asking about our basic everyday December temps. I did 33 miles this morning with temps right at 50 with a strong wind. Now I'll admit that I was the only member of my group that didn't have leg or knee warmers on. I rode in Regular Shoes and Socks. Regular Bib Shorts. Long sleeve compression shirt (nothing very heavy), regular jersey over that, full fingered gloves, helmet cover. I was pretty comfortable all day.