Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Green Light Triggers

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Green Light Triggers

Old 02-13-05, 09:45 PM
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Green Light Triggers

Has anyone used a Green Light Trigger (https://www.greenlightstuff.com/trigger.html)? Last year I found my aluminum-frame bike didn't trigger traffic detector loops as reliably as my old steel frame, and I am wondering if that device would help, of if there are other tricks to use.

Let me add that the "prime spot" on loop detectors is marked by three orange dots here, so its not a question of position.

Thanks
Old 02-13-05, 10:23 PM

Bikes: 1993 Infinity LWB, Bacchetta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a link to a thread on the topic.
Old 02-14-05, 01:46 AM
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeezerGeek
I read that before posting. (Yeah, I'm a rare one who uses the search function). According to a post in that thread, a magnet should not be helpful with detector loops. It isn't clear from Green Light's site if the product is a magnet, a metal block, or a combination of both. Certainly some people think it works.

I would be curious to hear from anyone who has tried one if it made any difference at all.
Old 02-14-05, 02:19 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Look both ways and own it.
Old 02-14-05, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I iwll try a rare earth magnet. I have a few very powerful ones if I can find them in my shop.
Old 02-14-05, 01:26 PM
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If my riding over the sensor doesn't trigger the light, I lay the bike over the sensor and it usually works. If I'm loaded up with stuff from work though, I confess to just going over and pushing the ped crossing button. That said, there is usually either enough traffic that the light is triggered by cars anyway, or its late enough that the lights just flash and I treat it as the stop-sign that it is.
Old 02-14-05, 01:31 PM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patc
Has anyone used a Green Light Trigger (https://www.greenlightstuff.com/trigger.html)? Last year I found my aluminum-frame bike didn't trigger traffic detector loops as reliably as my old steel frame, and I am wondering if that device would help, of if there are other tricks to use.

Let me add that the "prime spot" on loop detectors is marked by three orange dots here, so its not a question of position.

Thanks
I put one on my motorcycle and it worked great.
Old 02-14-05, 01:54 PM
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steveknight
I iwll try a rare earth magnet. I have a few very powerful ones if I can find them in my shop.
Thanks.

I had an idea. Lets say all I need is a chunk of steel to trigger the loop.... why not buy a large, cheap, padlock and tape it under my pedal (or bottom bracket). Under $10, problem solved.

(Hmmm, if anyone in Ottawa sees a guy dropping padlocks over traffic loops this week, please do not dial 911. I'm ok, honest.)
Old 02-14-05, 01:56 PM
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
If my riding over the sensor doesn't trigger the light, I lay the bike over the sensor and it usually works. If I'm loaded up with stuff from work though, I confess to just going over and pushing the ped crossing button. That said, there is usually either enough traffic that the light is triggered by cars anyway, or its late enough that the lights just flash and I treat it as the stop-sign that it is.
That's what I did -used the ped button. Dropping a bike with 20lbs of cat litter and a backpack full of groceries just isn't practical.

I don't think that any of our lights change to flashers at any time. I do have to deal with a few intersections that have heavy cross-traffic but no traffic on my street, so the wait can be a long one.
Old 02-14-05, 01:58 PM
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skydive69
I put one on my motorcycle and it worked great.
Thanks for the feedback, that what was looking for. Anyone else?

(For some reason I am a bit sceptical of the accolades on any manufacturer's site)
Old 02-14-05, 03:03 PM
slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Road Sport, peugeot UO-10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never triggered one.

I look both ways, make sure no cops are around, then go.
Old 02-14-05, 03:18 PM
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Actually, wait, look both ways, go. If the cop stops you, point out that a signal that fails to actuate is considered broken and should be treated as a stop sign.
Old 02-14-05, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I'm amazed at all the things people do to activate the sensor. I happen to believe they also pose another form of danger for the cyclist. In my neck of the woods, we have a sensor on a cross street and it changes REAL FAST once the last car goes through the light. In other words, if you're not right behind the last car, you will cut througth the intersection on a dead red light on a four lane boulevard.

As a result, I don't like passing that light because it won't take me into consideration and will change to red while I'm entering the street!
Old 02-14-05, 04:40 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by bostontrevor
Actually, wait, look both ways, go. If the cop stops you, point out that a signal that fails to actuate is considered broken and should be treated as a stop sign.
I agree, that sounds like the best answer, I have no problem doing it either.

But I wonder how a cop or the cyclist decides if you waited long enough to determine it was broken. I wonder how that would go in a court. Have you ever been confronted by a cop for this? I have had a cop watch me do this without any reaction.
Just wondering. I do plan to do more riding up there in the nice weather.
Old 02-14-05, 05:08 PM
Retrogrouch in Training

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No, cops in Boston don't stop cyclists for moving violations. Ever. It's an ongoing experiment to see if anyone can actually get one.

But, MGL and UVC says that a light that fails to change for a vehicle is defetive and should be treated as a stop sign. I guess the courts decide.
Old 02-14-05, 05:17 PM
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might talk to your local transportation agency I have an aluminum framed bike and with only a couple of exceptions I can trigger the lights here. When I can't I treat it like a stop sign. Green light activators are illegal so expect a legal hassle if you get caught.
Old 02-14-05, 05:20 PM

No, cops in Boston don't stop cyclists for moving violations. Ever. It's an ongoing experiment to see if anyone can actually get one.

But, MGL and UVC says that a light that fails to change for a vehicle is defetive and should be treated as a stop sign. I guess the courts decide.
Thanks. I guess I'll just have to enter the experiment this summer. It seems like all the larger cities are like this.

edit post: There's a hill down here where it's easy to go over the speed limit. There is a speed trap there sometimes. I have been trying to get a speeding ticket for years, with no success. I guess I have to do better than 10 over the limit.

Last edited by 2manybikes; 02-14-05 at 05:31 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 02-14-05, 06:32 PM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by steveknight
Try throwing a washer in the air and follow it.
Old 02-14-05, 06:47 PM
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ngateguy
You might talk to your local transportation agency I have an aluminum framed bike and with only a couple of exceptions I can trigger the lights here. When I can't I treat it like a stop sign. Green light activators are illegal so expect a legal hassle if you get caught.
I'm trying to get feedback from local people, but from what I understand most have this problem with non-steel bikes. It does depend on the bike... steel rims, pedals, etc. probably help.

Green light triggers are NOT illegal in Ontario Canada (don't know where you are?!?)... unless you mean the type of trigger used by emmergency vehicles. This is not what we are talking about here. The device I linked to and similar devices merely add more steel and/or a magnet to your bike to increase the odds that a traffic loop will "see" it.
Old 02-14-05, 06:47 PM
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Look both ways and own it.
Ditto. It's free.
Old 02-14-05, 08:14 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been 'warned' after blowing a stop sign, but that was in Cambridge. Things are a little 'different' over here, across the charles.
The bike cop actually gave me a written warning!
But I still blow stop signs and reds.
Old 02-14-05, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by BostonFixed
I've been 'warned' after blowing a stop sign, but that was in Cambridge. Things are a little 'different' over here, across the charles.
The bike cop actually gave me a written warning!
But I still blow stop signs and reds.

wow ! mabye..............35 mph?
Old 02-14-05, 08:39 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nah, it was just like a slow around 10mph roll through, light traffic but I didn't notice the bike cop!
I could have easily dropped him, being a fat, out of shape policeman on a 'police bike', and me on my quick SS, but...
Old 02-14-05, 08:55 PM
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes I can't trigger a light with my Vespa, which has a steel body, not plastic. I have to get off the bike, run over and click the ped button. Fortunately in the morning there's a nice crossing guard that has seen me do that enough times he pushes the button for me now.

Never heard of one of those triggers. Sounds handy for my motorcycle, but I think I'd save the weight and just go through the red light on my bike.
Old 02-14-05, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by BostonFixed
Nah, it was just like a slow around 10mph roll through, light traffic but I didn't notice the bike cop!
I could have easily dropped him, being a fat, out of shape policeman on a 'police bike', and me on my quick SS, but...

I have this mental picture of a fat cop practically blowing out the tires on a 50 lb bike with all the stuff including a defibrillator!

And you on a 15 lb vintage track bike... trying to decide to wait or not?? Hmmmm? I'll just tighten my double strap track pedals a little......nah.

I really am laughing out loud.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.