Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Redux - Osteoporosis and Bicycling - Important for 50+rs

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Redux - Osteoporosis and Bicycling - Important for 50+rs

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-05, 07:32 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I've noticed a few newer 50+ folks who seemd to not be aware that intensive bicycling increases the chances of developing osteoporosis, and that weight-bearing resistive exercises can help prevent osteo. So, I am reposting a previous post of 01-24-04.

From Bicycling Magazine which came to my home on 01-23-04

Some quotes:

While discussing an orthopedic surgeon/cross country biker age 51 who seemed in excellent health, " . . . the appearance and vitality of a man far younger than his 51 years. He also has the low bone denisty of a man in his 70's and is on the road to osteoporosis."

"27 male racers ages 40-60 . . . trained average of 12.2 hours a week for 20 years . . . bone densities were 10% lower than a control group . . . Clinically, 10 percent thinning is significant - not good - almost frightening."

"2/3rd's of the cyclists studied already showed signs of at least osteopenia (moderate bone loss). Four had full blown osteoporosis."

"Rich Templin, a legendary mega-miler, has the hip and lower-spine bone densities of someone almost twice his age."

"You are at increased risk if you are Caucasian or asian, have a parent with osteoporosis, trained to excess as a youth, or took steroids."

In addition to elite cyclists being particularly at risk, it seems that even recreational cyclists are somewhat at risk.

The mechanism: Calcium is lost through sweat (something we cyclists know about). To be replaced, osteoclasts prep bones to receive a new layer of calcium. As we age, less is replaced, but this can be stopped with a good diet combined with physical activity that includes physical impact, G-Forces and vibration (road biking does not give enough vibration).

Suggestions -

1. Calcium and Vit D supplements (1,200 "Ca" spread over the day along with 400-800 IU of "d").

2. Yogurt and milk

3. No smoking, less alcohol, and really less soda, (phosphates really depletes the Ca)

4. Lift weights at least 2x's/wk, YEAR ROUND. It suggests heavy lifting to failure.

5. Back exercises such as extensions 2x's week

6. Run, hike, skip rope or jump around.

7. Stand up on your bike more often.

8. Mountain bike more

9. Get a bone scan.

The article is much longer. I have just presented the highlights.

"For recreational riders, cycling is not as good, bone-wise, as other fitness activities."

Note: My youngest son had severe osteo and no one knew it. He fell out of bed and fractured his L-5 vertebrae, and is still recovering from the paralysis. The drug Fosamax (and similar) are pretty effective in helping to build back up the bone density. Osteo is no fun.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 02-14-05 at 07:48 AM.
Old 02-14-05, 09:14 AM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gee Fox, you can't win. Running is a great weight bearing exercise, but it beats the crap out of your knees and hips, etc. Well, at least I do weights two times a week, take a gram of calcium daily, and use OJ with calcium & vitamin D. Of course I also take a handful of various suppliments.
Old 02-14-05, 03:28 PM
5am
RideLong

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite III (2004)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happened to me. Rode 2-3k annually in my 30's till injuries put me off my bike for about a decade. Now I've got osteo very bad in my hips and lower spine. My doc says it's "normal" for a man my age (55), but I'll be darned if the pain seems "normal" to me. Alas, my doc just looks at me with ho-hum eyes, and that's that. I've found that since returning to my bike in my 50's I have little or no hip or spine pain while riding and if I don't ride for a few days my arthritis actually feels worse.

Now I wonder if taking any of those recommended supplements will do any good as I'm already experiencing osteo problems.
Old 02-14-05, 04:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Now I wonder if taking any of those recommended supplements will do any good as I'm already experiencing osteo problems
Fosamax or siimilar drug will do wonders for osteo. Actually reverse
Old 02-14-05, 05:02 PM
In Memory of One Cool Cat

Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So if you take calcium and Vitamin D, do you also need phosphorus--or any additional supplement--to help absorb the calcium properly?
Old 02-14-05, 06:23 PM
Sore saddle cyclist

Bikes: Road, touring and mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Fosamax or siimilar drug will do wonders for osteo. Actually reverse
Fosamax is a miracle drug, it works very fast in restoring bone density. It is a prescribed drug, so your Dr. will advise if you should, or should not take it. The down side, (always has to be one of those) it is very, very expensive. It will, if you are not careful and follow instructions to the letter, eat holes in your esophagus. To prevent problems you need to remain standing while it is being absorbed into your stomach(30 minutes or so), which prevents it from going back up into the esophagus.

Viactive, on the other hand, is effective and cheap,( I buy it at Costco in the giant economy size) and is like eating candy. We can all benefit from this one. Thanks for the post