Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

bumpy ride?? please help

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

bumpy ride?? please help

Old 04-05-13, 06:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bumpy ride?? please help

i just bought two old road bikes (schwinns) mainly for just riding around town. when i got them both desperately needed tires and tubes after i replaced them and took the bikes for a spinn all was fine, other than a constant bump bump bump bump when i ride. at first i thought the rim was bent or had a flat spot but after flipping the bike to its saddle and spinning the tires all seems fine. i've also tried swapping the tires around for both bikes but it seems unlikely that i bought two bikes with 4 bent rims. i've also read that the cause of this could be the tire not seated properly on the rim but i don't know how to fix that? i've watched many videos and i seem to be doing it correctly. any suggestions??? please help me out guys i don't want a bumpy ride.
Old 04-05-13, 07:08 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
I call that a thump thump.

Most likely the tire bead is installed uneven on the rim.

Re install and make sure the tube is not under part of the tire bead.

Old 04-05-13, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 609 Posts
Spin the wheel slowly. Look at it as it goes past the brake pads. Does the rim go up & down, or side to side relative to the brakes pads ??

Same for the tire. Watch it as it spins. Is there a spot where it is a bit higher or lower on the rim ?

Older bikes cannot take high pressure, make sure you don't put in too much. A modern tire might say 120 psi max, but that assumes modern hook bead rim. Your old rims might only be designed for 80-ish psi.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-05-13, 07:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i checked under the tire bead and there is no tube stuck under there and i'm already riding at 80psi i'll try a little lower maybe 70-75. i've also already spun the rim alot while looking at the break pads and it seems to be ok, although i'm no expert. if there is a spot were the tire is higher or lower on the rim what would be the fix.
Old 04-05-13, 07:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok guys after spinning the wheel, slowly this time, i can definitely see a spot on the wheel were there is almost a flat spot on the tire this is probably deff causing the thumps how can i fix it????
Old 04-05-13, 07:44 AM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
This was fairly common on really old Schwinns with steel rims, but can occur at other times a well. First deflate the tires and spray some mild all-purpose cleaner like Fantastic or 409 in the area where the tire dives into the rim (even slightly soapy water works) between tire and rim. Reinflate the tire, being careful to look all the way around the tire to insure that the bead line (raised ridge of rubber on the tire) is not going too far from the rim. Keep inflating until the tire pops out so that it's no longer flat in that area. You may have to go a bit over recommended inflation.

p.s It's quite easy to hit the Edit Post after you create the post to make it easier to read - sentences, capitalization, spelling. It's a courtesy to the rest of us who read a lot of posts in a day. It's BRAKES not BREAKS. I know more and more people are using their smartphones, etc on the Internet but it's not fair to ask us to suffer because you use a tool that is not as good as a computer and keyboard at handling text, particularly when asking us to help you. Thank you.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 04-05-13 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-05-13, 08:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cny-bikeman
This was fairly common on really old Schwinns with steel rims, but can occur at other times a well. First deflate the tires and spray some mild all-purpose cleaner like Fantastic or 409 in the area where the tire dives into the rim (even slightly soapy water works) between tire and rim. Reinflate the tire, being careful to look all the way around the tire to insure that the bead line (raised ridge of rubber on the tire) is not going too far from the rim. Keep inflating until the tire pops out so that it's no longer flat in that area. You may have to go a bit over recommended inflation.

p.s It's quite easy to hit the Edit Post after you create the post to make it easier to read - sentences, capitalization, spelling. It's a courtesy to the rest of us who read a lot of posts in a day. It's BRAKES not BREAKS. I know more and more people are using their smartphones, etc on the Internet but it's not fair to ask us to suffer because you use a tool that is not as good as a computer and keyboard at handling text, particularly when asking us to help you. Thank you.

Thank you so much for the help!!!! That worked perfect, and I'm sorry for the bad grammar and spelling. Like I said I'm no expert at this and

I learn something new everyday thanks to people like you. I really appreciate the help. I'm new to the forum also so I'm sorry if my format

was hard to read or what ever. I'll try using double spacing now. And at least I know the correct spelling of the word "Brakes" now.
Old 04-05-13, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 609 Posts
Originally Posted by austinbeale
I'll try using double spacing now.
Not exactly an improvement ! But glad it's fixed.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-05-13, 01:43 PM
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by austinbeale
Thank you so much for the help!!!! That worked perfect, and I'm sorry for the bad grammar and spelling.... I'll try using double spacing now.
No, please do not try to double-space, as you can't predict where the end of a line will occur. It's actually harder to read. What you did that helped was real sentences, capitalization, etc. Much appreciated, and glad I could be of help.