Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road Schmutz

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Road Schmutz

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-13, 07:43 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My schmutz factor went full circle today! Before leaving for work this AM I loaded my track bike in the car for a trip to the velodrome after work. I had to use a box wrench that I keep in the back of the 4Runner to take the front wheel off. When I got to the track I had to get a wrench from my track bag to put the front wheel back on. I assumed that I left the original wrench in my garage. When I got back home this evening I saw my wrench on the hutch by the kitchen table. I picked up the wrench and put it back in the car assuming I left it inside when I got my coffee for the drive to work. Later while my wife and I were eating dinner, she excitedly told me that I am not the only one who finds tools. She walks laps everyday on our 1/2 mile long cul-de-sac and at the entrance she found a nice shiny wrench. She then said "I put it on the hutch".. I guess I left the wrench on the bumper then drove off to work.
Old 05-14-13, 08:02 PM

Bikes: Ancient Conglomeration, new one being built

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got pulled over by a goat once. A good ear scratch and he let me go on my way. Found a few various bike parts. No money yet tho.
Old 05-15-13, 02:56 AM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
My schmutz factor went full circle today! Before leaving for work this AM I loaded my track bike in the car for a trip to the velodrome after work. I had to use a box wrench that I keep in the back of the 4Runner to take the front wheel off. When I got to the track I had to get a wrench from my track bag to put the front wheel back on. I assumed that I left the original wrench in my garage. When I got back home this evening I saw my wrench on the hutch by the kitchen table. I picked up the wrench and put it back in the car assuming I left it inside when I got my coffee for the drive to work. Later while my wife and I were eating dinner, she excitedly told me that I am not the only one who finds tools. She walks laps everyday on our 1/2 mile long cul-de-sac and at the entrance she found a nice shiny wrench. She then said "I put it on the hutch".. I guess I left the wrench on the bumper then drove off to work.
Now that is full circle. It was boomerang schmutz.
Old 05-15-13, 07:20 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
found a sweet iTouch. Advertised, called Apple, got no responses other than one lady who tried to scam me...so now I have a badly cracked but totally functional iTouch.
Old 05-15-13, 07:55 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Last year I found a backpack with a $1000 computer in it. The guy said he was going to send a reward, but he never did.
Old 05-15-13, 08:07 AM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
On my commute to work I really couldn't stop and pick up every coin I'd see alongside the road - but I'd keep a running total of how much it was. One day when I had the time, and since I knew where just about every coin was after a few weeks, I picked up over $5.35 in just my 22-mile round trip.

Probably a half-dozen cellphones, pagers,..

Then there's the clothing... Lots of ball caps (OK, I can see it blowing off your head), but what's up with shoes? How in the world do you lose a shoe and not know it??? Lots of sunglasses, too. Probably off motorcycle riders.

Tools? I picked up a complete 1/4" drive socket set, lots of screwdrivers, several pairs of pliers, a few hammers, lots of rubber bungee s-hooks...

Lots of roadkill, too. Skunks, opossums, raccoons,... all the way up to deer. Those I leave, but I can't stand to see someones pet squished to oblivion. If it is 'fresh' and not too mangled, I drag it to the side of the road. Someone might be looking for it!

Then there's the gross stuff that I don't touch - used diapers, condoms, ...
Old 05-15-13, 08:49 AM

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
The most common items of apparel I see along the road are little kid's shoes. (single, never a pair.) Work gloves are a far distant second. I imagine precocious little brats throwing their shoes out the car window for fun, and the hapless parents wondering where precious' right shoe went at the end of the trip.
Old 05-15-13, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's the underwear on the roadside I don't fathom.
Old 05-15-13, 01:45 PM
Retired dabbler

Location: Acton, MA (20 miles west of Boston) - GORGEOUS cycling territory!

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple - 1st ride = century 9/19/2010 , Ultegra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dalameda
Lots of water bottles.
Ain't this the truth!
Old 05-17-13, 10:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Picked up a dime a few days ago. But I haven't seen as much moolah lately as usual. I need to get on the major highways a bit more for some tool replacements.
Old 06-09-13, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Found my first Road Schmutz today.

I cross a bridge over a river with a very narrow bike path on the way back I decided to walk the bike over the bridge. Just as I am starting to go over the bridge I look down and amongst the rocks and weeds is a bike. I had to look and make sure that wasn't a body nearby, there wasn't, and from the looks of things the bike had been there for a long time. I am guessing that it was probably stolen and ditched there. I have not decided if am going to go back and get it.
Old 06-10-13, 08:02 PM

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
First time I find anything of any value and it's nothing I can use. While riding across a bridge over a lake close to Allen (actually its a water reservoir, but we pretend its a lake). There on the shoulder I find two matching fishing rods and reels. I stopped and pondered what to do -- they were too nice to just leave there. So I picked both up and took them to a nearby filling station/restaurant and gave them to the owner. I hope he puts up a sign by the register. As it turns out, riding with two fishing poles is easier than I thought. Although, I wouldn't want to ride too far with them.
Old 06-11-13, 08:31 AM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by bikepro
As it turns out, riding with two fishing poles is easier than I thought. Although, I wouldn't want to ride too far with them.
Heck, back when I was a teenager, my buddies and I would ride five miles with our golf clubs/bag 'quiver style' across our backs.
Old 07-05-13, 07:31 PM

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Found this the other day:

Luckily it was open, so I could figure out the combination, then set it to a four-digit number I can remember. It's not a secure lock, but will be fine for locking my bike when I go in to get coffee. I'll now have six locations with locks cached so I can lock my bike without carrying a lock.
Old 07-08-13, 07:02 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
once found a cell phone, called the last number dialed, turned out to be the girlfriend of the owner, met her for coffee the next day
Old 07-08-13, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I also found this:

which I stashed behind a tree, and came back and picked up with the car, planning to sell it on craigslist. No takers and it's still sitting in my shed.

I've brought home tools, nice towels (to be used as rags), and more. It usually takes me about 40 yards to decide I want something, and walk back and get it.
Delicately, I hope, exploring cultural differences around the country, why stash it behind a tree? Here, we'd be more likely to put it on a close by post, or brace it to be more easily seen, or some such so when the person who lost it came looking it would be more easily found. Or, had it been there for quite awhile?
Old 07-08-13, 09:33 AM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I found an iPhone. I tried to start it to call the owner, but it booted as if it were a new phone, so that was impossible.
I sold it to a local phone shop.
That's the second phone I've found, though the first was pretty cracked.

I also found this weird thing, which I posted in another thread
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post15824604
Don't miss it.
Old 07-08-13, 10:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Delicately, I hope, exploring cultural differences around the country, why stash it behind a tree? Here, we'd be more likely to put it on a close by post, or brace it to be more easily seen, or some such so when the person who lost it came looking it would be more easily found. Or, had it been there for quite awhile?
I figured that if I put it in a visible location, it would soon be taken by someone other than the person who lost it.

So I made a posting in Craigslist:
[h=2]Found: Nautical Thing[/h] I found something that's nautical in nature. If it's yours, describe it correctly, and you can come pick it up.
I let that run for a while, and got no responses.

BTW, I recently gave it away on the free section of Craigslist. Remember that this is a big anchor. When the guy came to pick it up, I asked "So, how big is your boat?" His reply, "Well, actually it's a canoe."

Old 07-08-13, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I figured that if I put it in a visible location, it would soon be taken by someone other than the person who lost it.

So I made a posting in Craigslist:

And so it was.

Definitely a cultural difference.
Old 07-08-13, 01:34 PM
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
I guess it wasn't new enough to have ICE(In Case of Emergency) #s. I have my home phone in my ICE # selection. Unless I'm mistaken, ICE #s are available even if the phone is locked.

Oh, BTW and FYI, 911 is always available, even if there is no contract or minutes on the phone.
For some phones you need an app.
Old 08-13-13, 08:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I found this (in a case):

Old 08-13-13, 08:59 PM

Bikes: Actionbent Roadrunner high racer, Redline d660 29er and a Quintana Roo Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a cigarette case, when I opened it to throw the pack away, inside I found $26 in ones and fives. I've found the usual tools and loose change.
Old 08-13-13, 09:19 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Posted in photo of the day, but worth a repost here....

Getting a head in cycling by ccorlew, on Flickr
Old 08-13-13, 09:32 PM
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Since I moved to the "middle of nowhere", I haven't found much. Recently I found a very nice, new life jacket. Also found an adapter for trailer light hookups (flat to round). As for road kill, I've seen most of the usual ones, but on my regular route there is currently a dead porcupine. He's a really big one and the highway dept. hasn't been motivated to retrieve him, either.

I saw a live mink last week; he was a cute little guy, but I've been told that they are ferocious.

Back in the Houston area, I found tons of stuff. Wrenches, a real Crescent wrench, screw drivers, a nylon kite and a 10 lb. block of lead.

The best find was three unopened fifths of whiskey. IIRC, there was one each rum, vodka and bourbon. There were also some unopened beers. I stuffed all of it in my jersey pockets, it was a monumental find!
Old 08-14-13, 01:05 AM
Avid Cyclist

Bikes: Diamondback Century Disc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Last ride.

He was going to cross 7 lanes of 45 mph traffic.

I helped a turtle cross the road a couple of rides back. My wife got the biggest kick out of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.