Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Winter in April

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Winter in April

Old 04-20-13, 05:25 PM

Bikes: Rans F5 Pro 700c, Lightfoot Bigfoot fat-tire, Greenspeed GTO trike, Rans Screamer tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is the first time I have ridden through the winter in 40 years thanks to my fat-tire bike. I've hardened up enough during the winter that I am actually enjoying the colder than normal spring weather. It's fun when you get the layers right, what with all the high-tech clothing. Cool but not cold with warm toes and fingers. The only two days I've missed riding this month are what the weather service called blizzard conditions. I don't do blizzards, there are too many ways to get hurt.

When the humidity is low enough, it is not unusual to have 40 or even 50 degree temperature swings during the day. The warmer spring days often start off below freezing and it cools down fast after dark. The average last hard frost at 6000' is May 15, make that June 1 on the west and north parts of the city above 7000'. I have a lot of storage on my bikes so I can add and shed layers as needed during my rides.

All this riding has really improved my conditioning. I have more mileage so far this year than all of last year. I'm afraid, though, now that I've become acclimated to the cold, I will really suffer the first few times the temperature hits 90.

April last year... this year the flowers haven't come out yet.
Old 04-20-13, 06:56 PM

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, tell me 'bout it. We had some snow flurries yesterday and again today in SE Michigan.
Old 04-20-13, 08:50 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Seventeen inches of snow yesterday back home. More than a couple of feet on the ground. Forty one inches for the month.

I've parked myself further south but not far enough.
Old 04-20-13, 08:53 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
I had a great ride down to the coast of the Pacific Ocean today, starting in 70+ weather at 4:30 p.m., and then I great views out over the city of Los Angeles on my return, after a side trip up to the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook. We've barely had winter in L.A.

...................Shaddapp!
Old 04-20-13, 08:55 PM

I drove across Minnesota on Friday, and while I kept hearing about record snowfalls, I didn't see much of it. I guess up around Duluth they really got hit.
Old 04-21-13, 07:20 AM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
We have a winter weather advisory for tonight through noon tomorrow. Predict 3 to 5 inches
with a high of 30 degrees.
I rode outside yesterday for the first time in a couple weeks, it's either snowing or so windy I
don't want to go out.
We have had over 20 inches of snow this month.
Old 04-21-13, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Where you from? Here in Chicagoland it was 67F yesterday and we had extensive flooding, high winds and power outages. My lower level of my house flooded. 1 day later, today, we had a high of 41F and a mix of sleet/snow flurries. 26F swing. Sigh. Now Sunday we will have 61F.

I have only been able to do 83 miles this month so far, and a lot of it in nasty weather.
Crazy isnt it. I'm still running a fan in the basement to dry things out.

Yesterday went for a ride with the BikeForum C&V guys out in Crystal Lake. Snow and ice on my windshield greeted me in the morning. On the drive out a sprinkling of snow on the ground. About 35 degrees at the 9:00 start, and heading into stiff headwind. I lined my riding jumper with newspaper for insulation. Felt balmy on the way back with temps in the upper 30's and a tailwind. At least the Sun was out. And it was a nice ride to boot.
Old 04-21-13, 08:14 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have skied 7 days in the last 2 weeks. My wife and son are skiing again today. Not me, I'm riding today as the weather where I live will be 50 and sunny. It's about time!!
Old 04-21-13, 11:52 AM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I live in the mid-west where flood waters are plentiful so I say.........spring showers....bah humbug!!!

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 04-22-13, 07:36 AM
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
We got 6 to 8 inches over night, still coming down. High today 27, low tonight 7, previous record low this date 21.
I rode outside yesterday streets and path snows gone, back today with a vengeance.
Old 04-22-13, 08:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, maybe we're starting to get lucky. The weather forecasts seem to be a bit confused - we might have 60+ degrees and dry today. Or tomorrow. Or both. Or neither. The forecast for today shows a high of 68 and partly cloudy, but the hourly forecast never goes above 55.

Anyway, I'm hoping that I get some saddle time in SOMETIME in the next couple of days.
Old 04-23-13, 01:09 PM
Wheezy Rider

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
This time last year I had 400 miles in. As of now this year I have 30. The winter weather just won't stop! We are having sideways driven snow today. When will it end?
Originally Posted by NOS88
Soon, and all you are dealing with now will be a distant memory......
Yeah, but how soon? Give me a date.

Here in Colorado foothills it isn't all that unusual to get snow this late. However most years it's interspersed with days or even weeks of warm weather. This year it just hasn't stopped and even when it isn't snowing, it's bitterly cold with winds that'll scrape your face off. I think we've had one weekend this year when it hasn't snowed. And even then it snowed on the Friday and the Monday.

3 inches on the ground and still more coming down as I type. I'm fed up of winter and Dear Wife is fed up of hearing me moan about it.

Somebody should do something.
Old 04-23-13, 01:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Connell
Somebody should do something.
I bypassed all the emission controls on my car last night - I'm getting desperate!

Actually, it was pretty nice last night, but raining today so the 70 degree weather is getting wasted, and we go back into the refrigerator again tomorrow for a few days.

I was thinking the other day that if we go through this again next year, I might look at hooking up with a few others stuck up here in the North to make some weekend road trips to warmer climes to get in some saddle time early in the season. I note that the folks down in Kentucky have had some spells of pretty nice weather, and there may be other places that are within a one-day drive that we could travel to to get a good days riding in without having to wear the full arctic kit. It'd certainly take some coordination, as I'd hate to show up in someplace like Louisville or St. Louis in the middle of a spring snowstorm or floods!
Old 04-23-13, 03:13 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
...We've barely had winter in L.A.
Weekend forecast ... Friday, high of 86, low of 58 - Saturday, high of 89, low of 60 - Sunday, high of 90, low of 57.

We went straight from winter to summer! This Friday I was planing to ride GMR and make an assault on the ski lifts, but might be a better idea to ride a century near the ocean.
Old 04-23-13, 11:55 PM
akrider

Bikes: hand built lemond, lava done, 520 and a Louis Garneau I picked up in Thailand

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The snow is still here, even though the sun has warmth there is still a chill from all the snow and the wind was strong and cold. The roads are dry so dressing for it is all there is to it. The weather report says snow tomorrow.
Old 04-24-13, 09:30 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
We had a little snow event last night. Only a blanketing, no drifts. Today is a HTFU ride day. Longjohns, jeans and mittens.

I'm going to be a monster on the fogline if this ever warms up.
Old 04-24-13, 11:08 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
hope in captive cyclists, mixing
memory and desire, stirring
expectant memories of rides yet denied.
Old 04-24-13, 11:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
We had a little snow event last night. Only a blanketing, no drifts. Today is a HTFU ride day. Longjohns, jeans and mittens.
I hope you guys up there get things sorted out in a few weeks. We're heading up for the Zoo-de-Mackinaw on 5/18. We're praying for a significant turn-around in the weather patterns!
Old 04-24-13, 12:10 PM

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
This time last year I had 400 miles in. As of now this year I have 30. The winter weather just won't stop! We are having sideways driven snow today. When will it end?
I'm not going to rub it in about weather where I live but most people would never ride in 100+ temps like we do in the summer. But at least I believe that is something you can get used to.

Dealing with cold, wet, snow/sleet; now that sucks when you want to ride a bike. We had a cold front come barreling in this morning. It's 53 here right now (which is completely rideable) but just crazy cold for us at this time of the year. It was in the 90s yesterday. So it must be nasty wherever you live if it is that cold here. Hope it gets better for you but winter has really lingered this year for many parts of the coutry.
Old 04-24-13, 01:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rwc5830
I'm not going to rub it in about weather where I live but most people would never ride in 100+ temps like we do in the summer. But at least I believe that is something you can get used to.
Very easily for me.

I've found that the older I get, and the thinner I get, that I'm increasingly intolerant of cold (literally, 70* and breezy feels cold), and have a very high tolerance for heat. I went out and did about 14 miles without thinking much about it one day when it hit 102 here last summer. It was warm, but not in the least uncomfortable. 80's and 90's to me is PERFECT riding weather!!

Mid-50's is tolerably rideable IMO, depending on other conditions. 55 windy and overcast is miserable. 55 calm and sunny ain't too bad. I went riding once earlier this spring when it was 45, and don't really want to do that again.
Old 04-24-13, 02:57 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's snowing right now...very, very tired of this winter. I was road riding on my road bike at this time last year. I had planned a trip into Denali Park this coming weekend but I'm fairly sure that option is gone. I've been back there getting snowed on while biking and THAT is an interesting thing. Nothing to do but wait.
Old 04-24-13, 03:13 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by Steve Sawyer
I hope you guys up there get things sorted out in a few weeks. We're heading up for the Zoo-de-Mackinaw on 5/18. We're praying for a significant turn-around in the weather patterns!
Ahhhh, you are doing the Zoo. Yeah, it will be warmer. But who knows how much warmer? Probably windy and rainy.
Old 04-24-13, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by digibud
It's snowing right now...very, very tired of this winter. I was road riding on my road bike at this time last year. I had planned a trip into Denali Park this coming weekend but I'm fairly sure that option is gone. I've been back there getting snowed on while biking and THAT is an interesting thing. Nothing to do but wait.
It's Alaska.....
Old 04-24-13, 06:07 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I drove across Minnesota on Friday, and while I kept hearing about record snowfalls, I didn't see much of it. I guess up around Duluth they really got hit.
I'm from Duluth. Fifty inches of snow so far for April and a couple of feet on the ground. I am not there, I am further south waiting for it to melt.
Old 04-24-13, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by goldfinch
I'm from Duluth. Fifty inches of snow so far for April and a couple of feet on the ground. I am not there, I am further south waiting for it to melt.
I pass through Duluth sometimes. Been through about 3 or 4 times this past winter and didn't see much snow at all. Guess old man winter has been saving up for a grand finale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.