Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

That showed them!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

That showed them!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-13, 08:23 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
That showed them!

I was out for a ride on a local trail today. I'd done about 14 miles with a few to go, when two youngsters shot past and shouted something like "out of the way old man". Well talk about red rag/bull so I thought I'd show them what experience can do.

Pretty soon they were 50 yards ahead so I started ramping up the effort. Within the next 200 yards I'd pulled that back to 25 yards, then they must have noticed I was catching up. Within the next 200 yards the 25 was back to 50 and they started getting further and further ahead.

I gave up.

Growing old sucks.

Old 04-21-13, 08:27 AM
Not racing.

Bikes: Old rigid mtn bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Next time just shake your fist at them and yell "Get off my lawn!" It's very effective.
Old 04-21-13, 09:03 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by stanman13
Next time just shake your fist at them and yell "Get off my lawn!" It's very effective.
Yeah, but you have to remember to yell quick before they get too far ahead to hear.
Old 04-21-13, 09:41 AM

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I was out for a ride on a local trail today. I'd done about 14 miles with a few to go, when two youngsters shot past and shouted something like "out of the way old man". Well talk about red rag/bull so I thought I'd show them what experience can do.

Pretty soon they were 50 yards ahead so I started ramping up the effort. Within the next 200 yards I'd pulled that back to 25 yards, then they must have noticed I was catching up. Within the next 200 yards the 25 was back to 50 and they started getting further and further ahead.

I gave up.

Growing old sucks.

That's when I would have shifted to level 2 on my E assist bike and stayed right behind them (about 50 feet) when they speed up and let them beat on themselves as to why they can't drop me...

Last edited by 350htrr; 04-21-13 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-21-13, 10:03 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Next time, don't move over.......................
Old 04-21-13, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Relax. Enjoy the ride.

Matt

I gave up.

Growing old sucks.

Old 04-21-13, 10:45 AM

Bikes: '10 Specialized Allez, '09 Cervelo S1, '93 Trek T200 (tandem), Rocky Mountain Metro 30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fully expected you to dial it up to 400 watts and give them "the look".
Old 04-21-13, 12:08 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

If I had caught them the only look I could have given would have been of someone in need of an ambulance.

It was a reality check. One more thing I can't do as well as in my twenties or thirties?
Old 04-21-13, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
If I had caught them the only look I could have given would have been of someone in need of an ambulance.

It was a reality check. One more thing I can't do as well as in my twenties or thirties?
But at least the older we get, the faster we were.
Old 04-21-13, 04:38 PM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Smile (you are out riding) wave to them and wish them the best and keep riding. Their time will come and Karma has a way of turning around to bite you, hard. They are just young, immature and poorly raised, don't stoop to their level. If you keep training however, the time for their come-up-ance (sp) may be sooner than they want.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 04-21-13, 04:42 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
LOL, only in our dreams................... I'm still tryin to catch that old guy, and I'm only 67.

One of these days, though, he's gonna get IT!
Old 04-21-13, 04:44 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Those hot-shot kids usually have shorter legs, smaller lungs, and crappy bikes. If they stay on the same course as you for any distance your steady pace will often result in passing them up. At least that was my experience today...I came upon the poor kid about two miles after he blew by me as he was stopped and catching his breath.

Last edited by cranky old dude; 04-21-13 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 04:50 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
If it was on "a trail", or MUP, they get major d-bag points for racing on it.

If it were on a MTB trail or the road, the only correct response is, "Sorry boys, this is my Z2 recovery ride".

Old 04-21-13, 06:30 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
+1 to what Dudelsack said. Bike paths aren't for racing. The speed limits on MUPs are just one of the many reasons why I don't to trails.

As they say, youthful exuberance is no match for old age and treachery. My bents are like a secret weapon, because everyone knows that bents are slow. Some of the area racing clubs will show up for Helluva Ride. I'm equal-opportunity, I pass 'em all. Really frosts their cookies when an old guy on a bent passes them, drops their best sprinters, and then disappears over the next hill.
Old 04-25-13, 09:47 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"being in the way is my job like being an ass@#$ is yours!"
Old 04-25-13, 09:58 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
If it was on "a trail", or MUP, they get major d-bag points for racing on it.

If it were on a MTB trail or the road, the only correct response is, "Sorry boys, this is my Z2 recovery ride".
Or ...

"Eh? What'd you say, sonny? Speak up!"

Old 04-25-13, 11:09 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,638 Times in 947 Posts
2-3 yrs ago I finishing up a 15 mi ride I zoomed past a kid (15 or 16) on a BMX. I was on a MTN bike. Wasn't really going that fast (maybe 15mph). But was pushing to make the next light. Within a block of the light the kid passes me on his BMX and blows by me.

For the next couple of miles we paced each other. I realized I could pass him, those BMX bikes aren't really meant for racing, but didn't. We were both stopped at the last light before I got home and grinned at each other. I was impressed the kid could keep up with his bike.
Old 04-25-13, 11:13 AM
Uber Goober

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I was out riding around White Rock Lake the other day, passing everything in site. I actually started feeling young and fit, and yes, fast! But about then, somebody that actually was young, fit, and fast passed me up and made it look easy. So I felt old, fat, and slow again. On the bright side, that's not just age, as I'm probably in about as a good a cycling shape now as I've ever been.
Old 04-25-13, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
next time shout "F-U PUNK!"

it nevers fails, whenever I think I'm doing good, I get passed. that's fine but they don't have to be a-holes about it.
Old 04-25-13, 03:55 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just keep them in sight for the next 25 miles and you will find they will need a rest at the top of the steepest offroad hill. That's your chance to blow past them and keep going till the next downhill where your superior offroad skills will blow them away.

Spike Milligan
Old 04-25-13, 04:04 PM
Wheezy Rider

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why just this last Sunday I cruised by a couple of young guys. They had expensive looking bikes, all the kit, everything. Just blew by them, I did.

Mind you, they were sitting by the trail while one of them fixed a flat but even so...
Old 04-25-13, 04:14 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had a fun encounter on a race when a young gal passed me on an uphill section where I was dying. With a smile she said, "good for you, old man" without a hint of sarcasm. I smiled and kicked her, knocking her over. Oh...no..actually I didn't. I was hurting too much to lift a finger . She was just one of many who passed me that day but the way I figure it, everybody but the winner is slower than somebody else on any given race.
Old 04-25-13, 04:16 PM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Connell
Why just this last Sunday I cruised by a couple of young guys. They had expensive looking bikes, all the kit, everything. Just blew by them, I did.

Mind you, they were sitting by the trail while one of them fixed a flat but even so...
*snort*

Old 04-25-13, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
OP this made me laugh!

So I'm just starting to ride home from work and just gotten on the trail about a half mile from my shop so I'm not even close to being warmed up. This youngster blows past me and I think whatever. As I'm riding along I can see him disappear around different corners ahead of me. About a mile on I decide of I see him when I round this next corner I'm going to try and pull him back or as I like to think of it, catch him. Sure enough as I round the turn I see his back wheel disappear around a corner ahead and off I go. As I approach the turn I last saw him I figured there would be no way see him until I round the next bend. Much to my surprise there he was limping off to the side of the trail. It appears this young buck didn't know that when a trail is damp skinny little road tire and sharp corners don't go together very well I slow and ask if he is ok to which he responds with a rather embarrassed yes. I smiled and motored on.

Two week later same corner this time it's two cute girls standing on the side of the trail. I STOP this time to make sure they were okay. They asked how I knew they had crashed? I just replied I've seen it before.

fasthair
Old 04-25-13, 04:43 PM
Beicwyr Hapus

I guess I've come to terms with the fact that, while I may be reasonably fit for a 65 year old, there's no way I can match a fit youngster.

I may be faster than some youngsters, but only the rubbish ones. But at my age I'll take what I can get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.