Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

God bless the Great Lake State!

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 02-16-05, 12:22 PM
Fan of the Crave Case!

Bikes: K2 Zed 3.0 (MTB), Maruishi Roadace commuter beast

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello

My name is Al, and I live in probably the least bike-friendly metro area in existence. That's right, you guessed it: the Motor City! It's a haven for cars, unplowed roads (let alone sidewalks and bike paths), and fat people (fattest city in the US, I believe). On the upside, Michigan does have some excellent trails, and truthfully, I can't imagine anywhere else I'd want to live (tropical climates included). The seasons here all have their merits, and a drive to the northern part of the state in the fall is reason enough to want to live here.

My goals in life: ride faster, commute more with my bike, avoid getting killed on said commute, and avoid contributing to the statistic I mentioned earlier. I am mostly a MTB fan, but if money comes my way, I would like to get a road bike, as well.

So again, hello, and thanks for everything.
Old 02-19-05, 11:46 PM
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey, hi from another Michigander! I like the state a lot less than you do I think, but yeah, its about as least bike friendly as humanly possible. I'm in Grand Rapids. Anyways welcome and happy riding.
Old 02-20-05, 12:11 AM
Dilettante

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I disagree; I've enjoyed many happy rides in Michigan. I spent, uh, too many years in Ann Arbor in the 1970's, and it was a great place to bike, at least then. I will agree to a certain extent with the Motor City poster -- I almost never headed east!

I've bikes from Chicago to Petoskey and/or back three times (see https://walloon.crazyguyonabike.com ). The southwest part of the state is also a good place to ride (Berrien, Van Buren, and Allegan counties). The parts of Michigan I'm familiar with offer some good road riding.

Michigan doesn't seem to have any good bike maps put out by the state, the way Wisconsin does. The county level ones seem to be the same bike maps I bought in 1976. The Universal maps are good, though.
Old 02-20-05, 12:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all i have to say is muskegon

glove life
Old 02-21-05, 05:33 AM
pj7
On Sabbatical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another local here, from Clinton Township.
I guess I'm part of the said statistic, though I have plans of removing my name from that list.
Since I live in the suburbs there are plenty of places to ride, the trail to Metro beach is less than a mile from my house, my neighborhood is fairly expansive, and the parks are a short drive away. It's a shame though that my commute will be 99% on Romeo Plank and Cass
Old 02-21-05, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Except for the Detroit metro area, Michigan is awesome, especially north of the bridge.