Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Schwinn world tour or raleigh technium

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-13, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which bike would be a better deal?

Raleigh technium - https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...727348800.html

Or

Schwinn World Tour - https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ra...770095806.html
Old 04-30-13, 02:47 PM

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
They look almost identical. Every market is different, but neither jumps out at me as a great deal. Maybe I am just living in a time warp, but I bought a Schwinn Le Tour Luxe on Milwaukee CL for $50 a few years ago (if memory serves me, the Le Tour Luxe series was a step up from theWorld Sport series), though once I got it, I had to put some money into it. If you have your heart set on one of those, pick the one that looks and feels better to you.
Old 05-01-13, 03:31 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Wow, old bikes ain't cheap in your neck of the woods! Around here those two rides would be going for about 100-150 bucks. Can you find a better value if you keep looking?
The Schwinn is very large, 25 inch frame. Hope you are well over 6 foot tall for that one. I am exactly 6 foot with a 32 inseam and ride 57 to 60 cm frames.
Comparing the parts on the two the Raleigh wins by a slight margin with a better crank, but other than that they are essentially the same parts package. I would rather have the steel frame, but it is really big!
Old 05-01-13, 04:56 AM
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Welcome to BF, As TiHabanero said you can do better price and quality wise for a bike. Don't rush in to a bike, find one that fits you and is mechanically sound, within your budget. Check in at the bike shops (LBS) around your area and let them know what you are looking to buy. Maybe there is a Bike Co-op in your town, they can be a good source for bikes they have rehabilitated and will sell. Best of luck in your search, don't get discouraged or stop your efforts.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13