Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Passing Edicate

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Passing Edicate

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-02, 08:03 PM
In Banff, AB

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Worksman Trike (customized for hauling)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Passing Edicate

I hope I spelled that right.
I was wondering what is the most proper thing to do while passing someone on a shoulder or large sidewalk. If there is a big difference between what should be said or done and what people expect, I'd like to know both.

Also, should my action be the same if I pass a cyclist, pedestrian, rollerblader, jogger, group, etc?

Thanks,
Dave
Whirrled Peas - No War!
Old 05-14-02, 08:25 PM
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dwagenheim
I hope I spelled that right.
Etiquette. (I had to look it up)

Originally posted by Dwagenheim

I was wondering what is the most proper thing to do while passing someone on a shoulder or large sidewalk. If there is a big difference between what should be said or done and what people expect, I'd like to know both.

Also, should my action be the same if I pass a cyclist, pedestrian, rollerblader, jogger, group, etc?
Be friendly. That could mean different actions on different occasions, but as long as you're friendly it's unlikely you'll encounter problems.

In practice, if I can I just pass them with as much room as precticable, slow down if I have to, offer a friendly greeting if I feel like it.

If a group is taking the whole path, I slow down to their pace a metre or two behind them and say 'excuse me'.

People who should know better who step unpredictably into my path without looking get mouthfulls of abuse if I don't actually collide with them. Fortunately this is exceedingly rare, since I avoid situations where this is likely to happen (eg. The Wynnum Esplanade 'shared' path on a Sunday afternoon).

Small children weaving erratically around on little bikes I watch very closely, and do my best to ride clear of them.

I pretty much ride on the road exclusively anyway. On the rare occasions I ride on a path I'm conscious of avoiding the hurry-up-urge and am happy to ride at whatever pace is appropriate, even if it is walking pace. If I want to go fast, I take it to the road where it belongs.
Old 05-14-02, 10:01 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dave,

(This is a joke, so remember to laugh!)

I saw a movie with Bill Cosby playing a paramedic. Whenever he came to a particular pedestrian crosswalk in front of a church, in which nuns frequently crossed the street in groups, he gave a sudden blast of his ambulance siren.

The nuns would scurry across the street.

"Takes the place of sex," he'd say.

Seriously, giving a loud enough warning without startling pedestrians, and slowing down while passing, is appreciated.

Remember, only YOU can prevent heart-attacks. (A bell is great for peds. It's just the right loudness and people recognize it.)

(You lovely Catholics out there--don't send me to H-e-double-toothpicks! I love you guys... )
Old 05-14-02, 10:18 PM
Dances with Rocks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasn't that movie called "Mother, Jugs and Speed"?
I think it had Raquel Welch in it too.

To become a registered member of BikeForums Click Here
Old 05-14-02, 10:23 PM
Velolutionary

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently invested in a friendly bell. It carries better than my voice. If I ring it far in advance, walkers & rollerbladers complete their little seizure before I am beside them.

The friendly bell is powerless over headphones and cyclists still using training wheels (usually parked sideways on the trail).
Old 05-14-02, 11:04 PM
We drive on the left.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
98% of my rides are on main roads, but some times I will hit a bike path or ride through a national park on the road.

I always call out "coming past", it usually works fine. There is always an exception to the rule.

1) people with headphones (walking or riding)
2) families with kids, mum and dad move but leave little johny on his own in the middle of the path/road
3) people with dogs either on long leads or no lead at all.
4) people that have to step sideways to turn their head.
5) people that hear my call then continue to walk in the middle of the path
6) people who are just plain ignorant, no amount of yelling will have them move until you are just about to pass them, then they react all startled?
7) cyclists riding two abreast towards me, not moving over

The list is virtually endless, this is why I stick to the main roads. There is a bike path here that is for bikes only which is fantastic but the latest section to be added is for everyone, so now there are people with babies in prams etc walking all over the place. I know that everyone's taxes pay for these facilities but people can walk anywhere, bikes don't always have that luxury. It would be nice to have at least one bike only facility.

CHEERS.

Mark
Old 05-15-02, 01:02 AM
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dutchy
There is a bike path here that is for bikes only which is fantastic but the latest section to be added is for everyone, so now there are people with babies in prams etc walking all over the place. I know that everyone's taxes pay for these facilities but people can walk anywhere, bikes don't always have that luxury. It would be nice to have at least one bike only facility.
There are in fact fairly specific rules for walking on shared paths, which virtually no pedestrian seems to be aware of, let alone obey. There is one exception. Knowledge of the 'cyclists must give way to pedestrians' rule is almost universal - probably since this is the only one ever posted on signs. No one seems to know the 'A pedestrian must not cause a traffic hazard by moving into the path of a driver.(a bike rider is the legal equivalent of a driver)' rule, or the 'A pedestrian must not be on a bicycle path, or a part of a separated footpath designated for the use of bicycles, unless the pedestrian—(a) is crossing the bicycle path or separated footpath by the shortest safe route; and (b) does not stay on the bicycle path or separated footpath for longer than necessary to cross the bicycle path or separated footpath safely.' rule, or the 'A pedestrian must not unreasonably obstruct the path of any driver or another pedestrian.' rule.
Old 05-15-02, 10:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to see Raquel's " JUGS"
Old 05-15-02, 11:32 AM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I forgot to mention, when using any path in my city, the rule is to say, "on your left" when approaching. Then you pass slowly on the left.

I sometimes say, "bike on the left," if I think they might not understand.

Yes, there is one limited-access path I use because it's a short-cut, about 3/4 mile long. There aren't any driveways or street intersections, only a few places where "feeders" (small ramp-like
paths that allow road access) merge onto the main path. But it's used by everyone, including dog-walkers; however, most non-cyclist users are aware of the "etiquette."
Old 05-15-02, 11:38 AM

Bikes: Lots

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually just scream, "GET THE HELLO OUT OF MY WAY!" just kidding!

I usually call out, "Rider Coming on Your Left", usually scares peds, but I try to call out early to give them time to freak out, look and then move over!

I HATE runners or speed walkers that insist on doing so in the designated "BIKE LANE", yet refuse to move over when I'm approaching. I'm usually on my road bike, but I'm thinking of taking my mt. bike and hitting one of these idiots. What ever happened to common courtesey? I'm mean, if you're walking, it's easier for you to move over a little and take a couple steps in the grass verses ME having to move into the traffic lane and potential contact with a car!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger
Old 05-15-02, 12:26 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600, Huffy 10-speed, and a Mongoose

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by a2psyklnut
I HATE runners or speed walkers that insist on doing so in the designated "BIKE LANE", yet refuse to move over when I'm approaching. I'm usually on my road bike, but I'm thinking of taking my mt. bike and hitting one of these idiots. What ever happened to common courtesey?
Are we not required to follow the same rules as cars? If that is the case, then does that not mean that those runners and walkers actually have the right-of-way and you as a biker/vehicle should yield to them?

Legally, I think if you hit one of those "idiots," you would face legal fines or in the most extreme cases, jail time. I know that if a biker hit me and was not cooperative, I would call the cops and report the biker.

When I run, I like to stay off the concrete. It is a little known fact among non-runners that asphalt is much softer than concrete and therefore will cause less injuries. Just like bikers, runners also have to worry about cars nosing over the crosswalk (I've actually ran into a few cars while running). In some cases, it is safer for us to run in the bike lane. The only difference, we (runners) should be running against traffic and therefore see you (bikers) and have a chance to move before you get close. Yes, I agree that the runners should move out of courtesy. Hopefully, you also move a little out of courtesy as well.
Old 05-15-02, 02:15 PM
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually talk my way around someone on the trail..."Hi. I'm coming around on your left here. Nice day, isn't it?" It works pretty well with less experienced cyclists, hikers, etc. I don't yell, just start talking well in advance of the pass. I'm thinking of investing in an incredibell. They make a pleasant little "ding."

Today I was crossing a bridge in town. Normally a 4-lane bridge, it is closed down to 2 lanes for construction. When all of the lanes are open, I use the traffic lanes. For the duration of the work project, I'm using the sidewalk. Today as i crossed the sidewalk, I encountered a woman pushing a baby carriage. I COULD have ridden by her. I KNEW that I had enough room. She didn't know that however. I got off the bike and walked past her. We both smiled and said "Good morning."

I dismount for horseback riders too. Step off the trail, smile and say "hi." I don't like having my rhythm broken, but, this is just the right thing to do.

Whenever you encounter other trail users, remember that you represent all of us. My 3 rules: Be safe. Be friendly. Be polite.
Old 05-15-02, 07:12 PM
Bash US - We'll Bash You

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I call out "Coming up on your left", unless they are wearing headphones.

For headphone wearers I've been meaning to buy one of these:

https://www.heckledepot.com/heckling101.shtml
Old 05-15-02, 07:23 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by RegularGuy
Whenever you encounter other trail users, remember that you represent all of us. My 3 rules: Be safe. Be friendly. Be polite.
Be 'uman, Guvna!