Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Annoying, stupid thieves!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-05, 02:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My new job is less than two miles from the train stop on one end, and I live about 10 blocks from the train on my end, so it isn't much of a ride. I have to leave my bike in the parking garage at work, or sometimes I might just leave it at the train station if I want to walk. For these reasons, I usually take my beater, which is an old Free Spirit 3-speed. Rusty chain, pretty rusty rack, first gear doesn't always work, but it's fine for the job and I figure it will keep thieves away. I was wrong.

This is my reconstruction of events from the facts of the crime scene. Thief comes upon my bike and decides my seat is better than his hard plastic seat. (The seat does appear plush, it looks sorta like a barstool, one consistent thickness all the way around, but cut in the shape of a bicycle seat, a good 6 inches across at it's widest--a real beast--but not nearly as comfortable as it looks to the untrained eye.) So he loosens the bolt to the seat, pops it off, and is ready to put it on his bike. While he's at it, my rusty rack/wire basket combo must have caught his eye, and he starts to loosen the first of six screws connecting the rack to the bike. At this point he must have been spooked and split, leaving his old seat in the basket on top of my rack, and one bolt loosened on the rack.

The kicker is that the guy must not have known bikes well enough to know that all seat posts aren't interchangable, because the post on the seat he left me was way too big. So he's now the proud owner of a $9.99 seat and a seatpost that is useless on his bike. Way to go buddy, I'd be mad at you if you weren't such a pathetic jerk-off.

I think the plastic seat he left me will work great on a beater fixie i plan to build.
Old 02-18-05, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthony King
I think the plastic seat he left me will work great on a beater fixie i plan to build.
It was probably a fixie rider looking for cheap parts who was the perpetrator!!!

Bad luck on it all, but good to see you are a glass-half-full type of guy with that positive outlook at the end.
Old 02-18-05, 02:46 AM
Toyota Racing Dev.

Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
haha..that's sad.
Old 02-18-05, 06:24 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Hahaha.. rofl that's too funny.
Old 02-18-05, 09:20 AM
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe the thief didn't know that the seatposts weren't interchangeable and tried to make himself feel a little less guilty, by not leaving you without a seat.
Old 02-18-05, 09:39 AM
contrarian

Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It don't matter what you ride, people will try to scavenge it! It's incredible!

It is a funny story, though!
Old 02-18-05, 10:25 AM
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthony King
leaving his old seat in the basket on top of my rack, and one bolt loosened on the rack.
...I think the plastic seat he left me will work great on a beater fixie i plan to build.
Nice of him to try to leave you something to pedal home with. Bike theives are very "kind" but stupid. Doesn't he know he could get that same used seat probably for free down at the LBS? Why risk it?

The "kind" thief that jack'd my Trek 2200 carefully left the helmet, sunglasses and other stuff next to the parking spot ... and also his junk bike that he rode in on.
Old 02-18-05, 10:26 AM
Enjoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check around in the next few days, he may try to "return it for another". You may find it somewhere near where you were parked that day.
Old 02-18-05, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
A while back there was a thread where folks talked about finding "abandoned" bikes, and then taking them or parts of them to "re-cycle". From your description of your bike, some "do-gooder" may have thought it had be abandoned at the station twenty years ago, and was seeking to "rescue" some usable parts.

A university a couple miles from me has an "abandoned bike" problem every July. The campus only has a couple hundred students around, yet about a thousand rusty bikes are locked to the racks. The campus police know that some of those bikes were abandoned by graduating seniors, and that some belong to students who will return in September. But, "which are which"?
Old 02-18-05, 12:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sooooo, reach inside the thief's seatpost with a dremel and take the circumference down to the danger level. Leave the seatpost where you normally park. Maybe he wants it back. Ever break a seat post? It is quite memorable.
Old 02-18-05, 01:32 PM
Enjoy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fsor
Sooooo, reach inside the thief's seatpost with a dremel and take the circumference down to the danger level. Leave the seatpost where you normally park. Maybe he wants it back. Ever break a seat post? It is quite memorable.
...and don't ferget to rig your web-cam for a some great close-up shots of sticky-fingers. Hey the cops aren't gonna fix it...so it's up to us!
Old 02-18-05, 02:18 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by vrkelley
Nice of him to try to leave you something to pedal home with. Bike theives are very "kind" but stupid. Doesn't he know he could get that same used seat probably for free down at the LBS? Why risk it?

The "kind" thief that jack'd my Trek 2200 carefully left the helmet, sunglasses and other stuff next to the parking spot ... and also his junk bike that he rode in on.
You locked up a trek 2200 somewhere...?
Old 02-18-05, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Maybe this thread would be a good place to collect everyone's personal experiences with getting bikes stolen. Between all of us, as a group, we have probably seen every possible way to lose a bike.

I can't remember the last time I lost a bike, although I think I did lose one or two about forty years ago. But, many of my friends have lost bikes recently.

One recent experience: a guy decides to get a beer late on Saturday night. There is a "No Parking Sign" outside the front door of the bar, so he locks his bike to the sign, and used another lock to secure the front wheel to the frame.

When he comes out of the bar, the "No Parking Sign" is laying on the ground. It had been installed on a grass lawn, and someone just pulled out the sign and walked off with his bike.

His friends looked around the neighborhood for his bike. They found it under a freeway overpass about three blocks from the bar. Judging from the damage to the lock and front wheel, the thief had been using broken blocks of concrete to try to break the lock on the front wheel. When the lock did not break, he gave up and just left the bike.

So: Lesson One: don't lock your bike to poles installed in dirt or grass.

As a group, we could probably get this thread up to about "Lesson Seventy-Five".
Old 02-18-05, 02:50 PM