Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

hill climbing: breathing... hee-hee-hoooo

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

hill climbing: breathing... hee-hee-hoooo

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruirui
how to increase aerobic capacity? do more cardio related? or time to bust out the Terry Crews Euro Training?
Longer base training, then start incorporating interval drills, tempo training, and threshold training, that's how.
Old 06-05-13, 01:12 AM
need to go out and ride..

Bikes: 2011 Scott Addict R1, 2014 Redline Conquest Team, 2015 BMC TMR02

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tracyshapiro
Longer base training, then start incorporating interval drills, tempo training, and threshold training, that's how.
ok that sounds easier than the euro training... hahaha

thanks for the tip~
Old 06-12-13, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruirui
ok that sounds easier than the euro training... hahaha

thanks for the tip~
You're welcome!
Old 06-14-13, 03:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tracyshapiro
You're welcome!
been doing some training climbing the same hill daily. i was off for 3 days for biz trip and went again today and DAMN.. was 3 mins behind my previous record. and drinking muscle milk to build up some muscles for lunch.

btw.. i tried to keep spinning uphill and no way i can hit 100 rpm. i was doing around 44 rpm and even then that's starting to give me heavy breathing. so the breathing technique everyone suggested, i tried and really exhale.. that really worked on my legs!!

Last edited by ruirui; 06-14-13 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-18-13, 10:54 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Oh, 44 rpm? I would ride 10% at that cadence if I were training on a single speed bike or trying to punish myself in some such specific fashion. I figure if I drop below about 68 on a long grade when I'm really exhausted, I need to go buy myself some lower gears. I'm not counting the 18%-20% bits that one occasionally encounters, but the grades one usually rides. Go buy yourself some lower gears.

One might get the idea from some posters that lower gears are somehow unmanly or whatever. Reread the first page of this thread with gearing in mind. Get over that.
Old 06-19-13, 10:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Oh, 44 rpm? I would ride 10% at that cadence if I were training on a single speed bike or trying to punish myself in some such specific fashion. I figure if I drop below about 68 on a long grade when I'm really exhausted, I need to go buy myself some lower gears. I'm not counting the 18%-20% bits that one occasionally encounters, but the grades one usually rides. Go buy yourself some lower gears.

One might get the idea from some posters that lower gears are somehow unmanly or whatever. Reread the first page of this thread with gearing in mind. Get over that.
i wouldn't mind getting lower gears. i'm on the 2012 RED RD and runnin 11/28 right now. not sure what other cassette i can use to add to it.
Old 06-20-13, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can run a 12-30 cassette. I have used that with 2012 Red without even adjusting the B screw. Shimano makes them. I find that Shimano cassettes work better than Sram for Sram systems.

You may also be able to use a 33t front chainring. It does not work on all cranks- on some the chain contacts the crank arms. But that will get your gearing a little lower (about 3%).
Old 06-21-13, 10:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
You can run a 12-30 cassette. I have used that with 2012 Red without even adjusting the B screw. Shimano makes them. I find that Shimano cassettes work better than Sram for Sram systems.

You may also be able to use a 33t front chainring. It does not work on all cranks- on some the chain contacts the crank arms. But that will get your gearing a little lower (about 3%).
hi eric.. thank you for the tip. perhaps a 12/30 is what i need, not sure if dura ace has it though. also, i assume i would have to lengthen the chain as well?
Old 06-21-13, 11:01 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is an Ultegra one. I use Ultegra cassettes for training. The extra cost and shorter lifetime of DA is not worth while for training rides.
Chances are your chain is long enough. The difference between 28 and 30t is only one link. But if it's not, no big deal, just get another one. Chains are a consumeable, like tires. I go through four or five a year.
Old 06-21-13, 12:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi eric.. thanks. i'll look into getting the ultegra cassette. stupid question.. but would it be bad idea to use two masterlink together?
Old 06-21-13, 12:44 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd do it in an emergency but not for normal use. The master is the weakest link. Having two of them doubles the chance of one breaking on you. I have never had one break but I don't make much power. I carry a spare one anyhow.

When you put the larger cassette on, shift to the big ring with the chain on a small cog and start shifting to larger cogs. When you get to the last couple, check it out before each shift. Sometimes if the chain is too short the cage will rub on the next cog. If it's ok in the next to largest cog and the cage is not stretched tight, try the largest cog slowly and carefully. You want the chain to be at least barely long enough to make that combo work without damaging anything. You should not ride cross chained like that but you want the bike to allow it if you shift there by mistake.

Chances are it'll be long enough and you won't have to do anything. But you should have a spare chain and tools to install it anyhow. And check the chain with a chain checker periodically. If you are going to run high end stuff and/or ride a lot it's worth it to learn how to do basic maintenance. In the long run you will save time and money and you will know that your bike is set up right.
Old 06-21-13, 03:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks eric.. i ride daily during my lunch hour.. try to squeeze in 10 miles with a small climb. then on weekends i can ride longer.. usually 25 miles with 800+ft of climbs.

before swapping over to 2013 Red i was running ultegra compact 50/34 w/ 11/34 + deore RD. while that setup was great, i didn't learn from it; meaning.. i find myself keep wanting to shift to bigger gears to spin all the time and became so dependent on it. so my leg muscles never got built up.

now with the RED 50/34 and 11/28, my thighs are bigger and have more strength.. but definitely not enough for mt. hamilton that's for sure. haha

oh.. and since i got addicted to weightweenie site.. that was another reason to swap over to the red too... lol... now my Addict R1 looks better and lighter. next stop.. drop my weight and belly down!