Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do you say to someone who's had his/her bike stolen?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-13, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The other day I met someone who recently had her bike stolen. Not long into the conversation she said, "and of course it's MY fault." Evidently she had been given advice on what she could have done better to prevent such a theft.

Many people are inclined to offer advice on strong U-locks and other ways of making wheels and components theft-deterrent upon meeting someone who's had his/her bike stolen. While these remarks are well-intentioned, victims of a recent theft tend to see themselves as, well, "victims." And rightfully so. They may be seeking comfort and sympathy more than they are seeking advice. If you spoke to someone who was mugged on the street, you wouldn't bombard them with questions about which route they took and what time of day it was. If such questions are asked, they should be asked very delicately, and only after consoling the victim first. The same is true of bike theft.

What do you feel is the best way to respond to a stranger or mild acquaintance who recently had a bike stolen?
Old 05-19-13, 11:52 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Did you see the prior post about someone's Bike being taken off the front of the Bus ,
while it was at a stoplight?

I think that was in Metro DC too..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would ask them why they are parading their expensive bike out in public to tempt would-be thieves? j/k I would tell them I hope they find the idiots and the bike in one piece.

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'd say, "that sucks, I hate bike theives".
Old 05-19-13, 11:54 AM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GeraldF
Not long into the conversation she said, "and of course it's MY fault." Evidently she had been given advice on what she could have done better to prevent such a theft.
These are the same people who after you tell them you bought a new car/truck/bike/house, they tell you you could have gotten a better deal because they have a friend who gets shi# cheap.
Old 05-19-13, 12:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always feel bad for people when I hear a bike is stolen, but after appropriate condolences I always ask about how it was stolen and how it was locked. It's helpful to know what measures thieves are taking in any particular area. I would ask the same questions if someone's car was stolen or home was broken into.

Originally Posted by GeraldF
If you spoke to someone who was mugged on the street, you wouldn't bombard them with questions about which route they took and what time of day it was. If such questions are asked, they should be asked very delicately, and only after consoling the victim first. The same is true of bike theft.
With that said, being a victim of a physical attack is not remotely the same as being a victim of property theft.
Old 05-19-13, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Come on. No one got sick or died. No need to get emotional over it.
Old 05-19-13, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Did you see the prior post about someone's Bike being taken off the front of the Bus ,
while it was at a stoplight?

I think that was in Metro DC too..

a guy on a bus told me his had been stolen off the front of one. i started locking mine to
the racks and no problem until a deadheading supervisor had a screaming fit, saying i
couldn't do that.

in a way i could see it. people do go off and forget they had a bike on. now there are bike bombs in the news.

i just find a seat with a view of the handlebar (yellow grips helps), and close to a door.
some of my regular route drivers know me and my bike, so they keep an eye on it.

about all i can do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0002.jpg (97.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by ka0use; 05-19-13 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-19-13, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bobn
I agree.
5 minutes after i got hit by a car and made the driver understand his mistakes, i was in his car joking with him

Originally Posted by ka0use
a guy on a bus told me his had been stolen off the front of one. i started locking mine to
the racks and no problem until a deadheading supervisor had a screaming fit, saying i
couldn't do that.

in a way i could see it. people do go off and forget they had a bike on. now there are bike bombs in the news.

i just find a seat with a view of the handlebar (yellow grips helps), and close to a door.
some of my regular route drivers know me and my bike, so they keep an eye on it.

about all i can do.
You can lock your wheel, a thief won't be able to escape very fast since a bike wheel is locked. Doesn't work if you don't see the thief leaving with your bike though.

Last edited by erig007; 05-19-13 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-19-13, 02:24 PM

Bikes: Apollo Revival Mountain Bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wish we had that facility on buses/trams to get our bikes around sometimes. Then I wouldnt have to get so wet cycling home 5 miles from the train station!

But to get back on topic I would seriously sympathise with someone who got their bike stolen, give a hug maybe?

How it got stolen is important as well but its a horrible feeling seeing an empty space where a bike should be and saying bike thieves are the lowest of the low and we should flog them when we catch them may help the victim maybe feel a bit better.

Then maybe a practical look at how to get the bike back would be good too.

Last edited by apollored; 05-21-13 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-19-13, 03:49 PM
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobn
You joker you!

A lot of people rely on their bicycles to get to and from work, do errands, etc. A bicycle, no matter what the original cost was, becomes over time an extension of the body, part of the soul of the cyclist. There is a strong emotional attachment for these cyclists; it hurts when that is stolen by some punk tweaker who is pawning it for pennies on the dollar for his next hot shot of heroin.

I sympathize with those who have came back to the rack to find their faithful steed missing.

Last edited by agent pombero; 05-19-13 at 03:53 PM.