Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

MTB pedal and shoes for a town/errands bike Reccommendations??

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-13, 05:02 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Paris/Ui2, BMC TeamMachine SLR01/Campy Record EPS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can anyone offer a reccomendation for a walk-able pedal/shoe comination to be used on a road bike for around town errands, grocery shopping etc.

Thanx
Old 05-24-13, 07:06 AM
Gone.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bsektzer
Can anyone offer a reccomendation for a walk-able pedal/shoe comination to be used on a road bike for around town errands, grocery shopping etc.
Assuming you want to go clipless, try the Pearl Izumi X-Alp:

https://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/co..._footwear.html

I have used these many times on tours where they are my only shoes, on or off the bike. I use Shimano SPD cleats and pedals. Also look at cop shoes:

https://www.police-bikes.com/catalog/...54/1239909.htm

Last edited by corvuscorvax; 05-24-13 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-26-13, 03:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Standard Shimano SPD's and https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 or https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Believe it or not, the road style shoes are the better ones for walking around. i stand at my desk at work and have spent half a day in them.
Old 05-26-13, 03:53 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
my preference for this is a flat pedal, MKS touring or road with Chrome Krusk shoes
Old 05-26-13, 04:19 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Any recessed-cleat pedal will do the job. Buy the one you like.

I'm car-free and live in a third-floor walk-up. Every ride begins and ends with carrying the bike on two flights of stairs. Then there is walking around at grocery stores, on arrival at work, and so on. Yet, I love clipless and wouldn't ride without them. Thus, all four of my bikes, (two commuter/errand bikes, and two roadies) use the same pedals and shoes.

I like the ubiquitous Shimano SPD. I use the SPD road/touring A-520 pedal. They have a roadish look to them, plus, like a road pedal (after break-in) they flop to the perfect clip-in position at every stoplight. Despite being pretty cheap, (about $35 online) I get 10,000 to 12,000 miles out of them.

As for shoes, my feet like Specialized. My three-seasons shoes are a pair of Specialized Sonoma I've had for years now. In the winter, I use Lake MXZ302 winter cycling boots.
Old 05-26-13, 04:38 PM

Bikes: Surly CC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get the Specialized road shoe down here for $100; the mountain bike version comes in at around $120. They've worked for me for years without fail.

I also had a pair, early on in my cycling addiction, of 616 shoes that were like $40 on sale and lasted me damn near 5-7 years. They were cheap as hell, but put up with the miles.
Old 05-26-13, 05:57 PM
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
Any recessed-cleat pedal will do the job. Buy the one you like.

I'm car-free and live in a third-floor walk-up. Every ride begins and ends with carrying the bike on two flights of stairs. Then there is walking around at grocery stores, on arrival at work, and so on. Yet, I love clipless and wouldn't ride without them. Thus, all four of my bikes, (two commuter/errand bikes, and two roadies) use the same pedals and shoes.

I like the ubiquitous Shimano SPD. I use the SPD road/touring A-520 pedal. They have a roadish look to them, plus, like a road pedal (after break-in) they flop to the perfect clip-in position at every stoplight. Despite being pretty cheap, (about $35 online) I get 10,000 to 12,000 miles out of them.

As for shoes, my feet like Specialized. My three-seasons shoes are a pair of Specialized Sonoma I've had for years now. In the winter, I use Lake MXZ302 winter cycling boots.

+1
Old 05-27-13, 12:24 AM
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bsektzer

Thanx
If you want to be clipped in and still be comfortable while walking, use SPDs and mountain biking shoes. It's still not as comfortable as walking in "real" shoes, but far better than most road shoes.

You could just use platform pedals to run errands in. That way, you can wear any shoe you want.

I wouldn't get the pedals with SPD on one side and a platform on the other. I hated them more than almost anything I've ever used on a bike. You'll always be flipping the pedal around to get to the side you need; you might as well be using old-style pedal clips with straps, which are the most annoying thing I've ever used on a bike.
Old 05-27-13, 08:47 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have not used the SPD stuff I have for years , In Town and all that implies I dont need the Extra Bother ..
Old 05-27-13, 10:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used SPDs in the past, and the bike that I now have came with Crank Brothers candy. I picked up the cheapest shoe that passes for walking around and wear it to bike to work, etc.

Don't use single sided pedals. I find them rather annoying. If I go for road pedals, I'll still not go for any of the single sided stuff.
Old 05-27-13, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I got Shimano MT33 on Jenson for about $50. I will wear them all day at work most days, shopping and I'm wearing them right now in Starbucks. For pedals I went with Crank Brothers egg beaters for $40 and I've been very happy for a commuter set up
Old 05-27-13, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I found the Specialized Sport MTB shoes worked the best for me, but that's because they just happen to fit my feet the best. Any regular mountain bike shoe would do, really.

I went through nearly every mountain bike pedal system trying them, and I thought the Time Atac's were the best, both from reading and from internet research:

Cleat Hitting the Floor - Specialized seemed to be the worst for this, Time Atac and Crank Brothers the best.
Cleat's resistance to dirt/mud/snow/ice - for summer riding they all seemed fine (all the mountain bike versions, I like my Speedplays but they get clogged up if you walk through dirt pretty easily). For winter riding, the Specialized ones sounded like they were far more likely to get iced up then the Time Atac's or Crank Brothers
Cleat's/pedals durability - Time Atac and Specialized were good, Crank Brothers had a horrible reputation for breaking, and I had a pair and they left the greased internals exposed to the elements as well. You could rebuild your pedals - but with the other two you didn't have to, they just kept working. Crank Brothers has redesigned their pedals since then, so maybe they've improved.
Can feel it when you clip in/out - Specialized and Time Atac's were good, Crank Brothers was again not great. You could clip in and out easily enough, but you couldn't tell by feel if you had successfully clipped in or out or not. Again, they've redesigned them, so not sure about new models.

These are the exact pedals I have -
https://www.amazon.com/Time-Atac-Xc-4...ords=time+atac

Though any of the Time Atac's would work.

Other things I didn't like:
- 1 sided pedals. Had them a long time ago, remember it being annoying when not sure which side of the pedal was up. 2 sided pedals you can clip into without looking down at all (with practice). Some people, like above, don't find this to be an issue for them, but I didn't for me.
- "recreational", or "commuter" shoes - the kind where the sole is softer so it's easier to walk around in. I found that - for myself at least - they'd leave my knees being more sore at the end of the ride than my regular mountain bike shoes with a normal totally stiff sole. I own both pairs, but I never actually use the softer ones after the first couple of rides.