Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greetings from SE Ohio

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Greetings from SE Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-02, 06:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from SW Ohio

Hi all,

I live in Middletown Ohio, which is between Cinci and Dayton. I'm getting back into cycling to get fit and for enjoyment. I bike mostly the Little Miami Bike Trail, Milford to Yellow Springs.

I ride a 2002 Jamis Coda hybrid and a 70's era (not quite sure of the age) Raliegh Gran Prix road bike.

My dream bike is either a Rivendell or Bruce Gordon touring. Then I can take my dream tour, TransAmerica OR to VA.

I'm a ways from that level, but I believe in setting lofty goals.

Ted Ingraham

Last edited by Teding; 05-21-02 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-15-02, 07:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Teding, I see you're a veteran to biking...I'm new here and the members/admins here are great...I'm here just to soak everything in right now.

Although I've never been to Ohio, my cousins live near Charleston, WV....that's pretty close right? I've been there last summer....nice little town.
Old 05-15-02, 07:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I mis-typed the thread heading. Should have been SW Ohio. I do spend a lot of time in the Marietta area, which is SE Ohio.

Ted
Old 05-15-02, 08:45 PM
Lovin' my Fixie

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, C-Dale MT1000, 80's Trek 770, 2005 Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from another Ohio rider. I live in the Cleveland area and ride mostly on the east side and out in the farm country east and south of the city. I think you have some pretty decent cycling in your area.

I don't know if it still exists, but there used to be a huge bike tour in Dayton called the Wright Ride every year. (as in Wright Brothers - airplanes you know) You might want to check it out for that kind of experience is usually lots of fun.

Welcome to the forum. You'll learn a lot here.
Old 05-16-02, 08:48 AM
Suburban Cyclist

Bikes: Univega Modo Volare road bike; Gary Fisher Tarpon MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Teding! I'm another Ohioan -- on the southwest side of Cleveland and I usually ride the bike paths around here.

If I make it down south, I'll know who to ask about good biking areas. Looking forward to your posts.

...what's your goal?
Old 05-16-02, 03:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by bikeman
Greetings from another Ohio rider. I live in the Cleveland area and ride mostly on the east side and out in the farm country east and south of the city. I think you have some pretty decent cycling in your area.

I don't know if it still exists, but there used to be a huge bike tour in Dayton called the Wright Ride every year. (as in Wright Brothers - airplanes you know) You might want to check it out for that kind of experience is usually lots of fun.
I know your area. Graduated from Kent State, lived in Ravenna, Hudson, and Stow. Adjusted claims on the east sde for SAFECO out of an office on Rockside Road. My wife taught in Solon. While in college (1973), I worked at a farm supply store at Quick Rd. and St. Rt. 8 in the Peninsula area. Nice area, NE Ohio, but gotta love snow if too much north of Hudson/Aurora. My wife and I did some x-country skiing in the Peninsula area before it was a National Rec Area Park.

I understand there's a nice bike trail along the Cuyahoga River. (I even know how to pronounce Ka-hog-a correctly.)

Dayton Cycle Club still has the Wright Wride. Missed it last year, but planning to do it this year.

Take care.

Ted
Old 05-16-02, 06:48 PM
Lovin' my Fixie

Bikes: Litespeed Classic, C-Dale MT1000, 80's Trek 770, 2005 Raleigh Rush Hour Pro, Fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Teding

I know your area. Graduated from Kent State, lived in Ravenna, Hudson, and Stow. Adjusted claims on the east sde for SAFECO out of an office on Rockside Road. My wife taught in Solon. While in college (1973), I worked at a farm supply store at Quick Rd. and St. Rt. 8 in the Peninsula area. Nice area, NE Ohio, but gotta love snow if too much north of Hudson/Aurora. My wife and I did some x-country skiing in the Peninsula area before it was a National Rec Area Park.

I understand there's a nice bike trail along the Cuyahoga River. (I even know how to pronounce Ka-hog-a correctly.)

Dayton Cycle Club still has the Wright Wride. Missed it last year, but planning to do it this year.

Take care.

Ted
You used to ride and live in some of the best places for riding in the area! I ride through Hudson and the Cuyahoga Valley often. Lots of people don't realize that this part of Ohio is really nice to look at and the roads are decent for road cycling. Got that right about the snow though. My toughest time of the year. Just wish it would warm up a bit. Still feels like autumn this week.

Glad to hear that the Wright Ride is still on. I'd like to do that one someday. I have passed your fair city of Dayton a couple of times in the past few years for my annual trek to the Hilly 100 in Bloomington, Indiana. That's another great ride in the Fall. If you haven't done that one it is a blast.

tail winds to ya'
Old 05-23-02, 02:56 PM
Lagomorph Demonicus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I just rode the Huffman spring classic last weekend as my first organized ride. Wow, what a difference a hot meal makes on a long ride! Maybe I'll see you at the Wright ride?
Old 05-23-02, 03:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by stumpjumper
Welcome to the forums! I just rode the Huffman spring classic last weekend as my first organized ride. Wow, what a difference a hot meal makes on a long ride! Maybe I'll see you at the Wright ride?
I really wanted to do the Huffman, but had family activities. Might do the Brookville covered bridge ride June 1, or the Troy Strawberry June 2.

Haven't done an organized ride since the BananaRama in Morrow about 12 years ago.

Thanks again for the LBS info.

Ted