Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Psychology and it's impact on cycling..

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-13, 11:08 AM

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

As someone who wears glasses and thus needs contacts to sport fancy sunglasses I rode today with shades and no contacts. I found that since I could not see far ahead I powered over hills that I would normally see and get psyched out before even reaching them. I rode more consistent and less fearful of the hills. I am not a climber. This was the second time I rode with out my glasses and found that my lack of vision helps me focus on riding and not the pending hills....I was wondering if anyone else psyches themselves out when riding?

1 mile sprint in 2.37 not bawls out but steady push.
Old 06-01-13, 11:33 AM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Psychology plays a big role in cycling. That's the reason why I haven't been able to finish crits, but can easily do crit training rides that are harder than the crits themselves. Doesn't make sense but that's just the way it is :/.
Old 06-01-13, 11:38 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes, I forget to wear my HRM chest strap and notice afterward that I rode faster, since I'm not obsessing over my max HR.
Old 06-01-13, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
If I didn't wear my glasses, I would accidentally ride off the road and crash.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-01-13, 11:44 AM
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Most beginners have the opposite problem: they ride way too hard and never develop any base endurance.
Old 06-01-13, 11:59 AM

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Before my lasik surgery 11years ago I was -12 and -13 in each eye. Without my contacts in I need a dog to get me to the bathroom in AM to get my contacts in to see. Had I rode a bike it would have been a nightmare. I tired to run once without contact or glass and it did not work. Thank the Lord for lasik I am 20/25 nothing needed not even reading glasses at 52.
Old 06-01-13, 12:21 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've noticed that too.

When climbing the worst hills, I will look down, right in front of me, and before I know it, I am up and over the hill. If I keep looking at the crest, I never seem to get there.

With headwinds: When I try to fight them, I get nowhere and become frustrated; If I adopt the attitude of just accepting that I can't go as fast or as easily into the wind, and just plan on going slow and steady and enjoying the ride, I hardly seem to lose any speed!

I believe that after physical fitness, psychology is the most important aspect of riding. Both seem to have much more effect on one's riding than do things like equipment and groupset.
Old 06-01-13, 01:03 PM

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale SuperSix - 1998 CAAD3 R500 - 2012 Demo 8 Carbon

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this may seem "tasteless" now days, but I grew up dreaming of one day being like Armstrong. I rode mountain my whole childhood and always had him in mind. Since I've recently gotten into road after a very long break from riding, I still picture Lance riding next to me. I don't know what it is, but I can sprint endlessly up hills and absolutely dust my buddies who don't seem to have the same inspiration, I'm talking gaining a minute on one hill not a couple seconds.

It may be fitness, or genetics, but it feels psychological because I know I am in pain, but I just don't let it stop me like they do.
Old 06-01-13, 01:08 PM

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SolitaryRider
With headwinds: When I try to fight them, I get nowhere and become frustrated; If I adopt the attitude of just accepting that I can't go as fast or as easily into the wind, and just plan on going slow and steady and enjoying the ride, I hardly seem to lose any speed!
There's a pretty thin line between a sub-threshold effort and a supra-threshold effort. With a headwind, the speed change between the two is diminished as is your perception of the benefits of the harder effort.

I agree with your approach -- but I guess I don't consider it psychological. It's a matter of learning how to pace yourself under different conditions -- going with how the effort feels rather than how fast it looks. Same thing applies to climbing hills.
Old 06-01-13, 02:18 PM

Bikes: i may have bike(s)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EnsitMike
I know this may seem "tasteless" now days, but I grew up dreaming of one day being like Armstrong. I rode mountain my whole childhood and always had him in mind. Since I've recently gotten into road after a very long break from riding, I still picture Lance riding next to me. I don't know what it is, but I can sprint endlessly up hills and absolutely dust my buddies who don't seem to have the same inspiration, I'm talking gaining a minute on one hill not a couple seconds.

It may be fitness, or genetics, but it feels psychological because I know I am in pain, but I just don't let it stop me like they do.
Pin up!
Old 06-01-13, 02:25 PM

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I usually offer my rides, as agonizing as I make them for animal suffering somewhere. I know, sounds crazy but we all row a different boat. Suffer from depression too, so mind stays clear while riding.
Old 06-01-13, 10:50 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe it's the dope?
Old 06-02-13, 03:17 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
When I approach hills I just keep repeating to myself ... "it's not as bad as it looks".
Old 06-02-13, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
All sports have a psychological component. We are not the only ones.
Old 06-02-13, 07:20 AM

Bikes: '12 CAAD10 3, '88 Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I understand, except my heros are Mark Cavendish or Fabian Cancellera. Mark's first season was the first year I started watching cycling. Since then, I've been hooked. As I entered my first triathlon, which had the swim leg cancelled so we started TT style on bikes, I pictured Fabian Cancellera time trialing after dropping Peter Sagan in the Tour of Flanders this year. Cheesy, yes. Psychologically boosting, perhaps.

I do tend to psych myself out, especially in running. I get caught up with hitting certain paces no matter what and tend to ignore how I feel until it all comes crashing back onto me. I've since taken out the option of seeing my current pace on runs, or rides, which allows me to focus on maintaining what I can do long term. As per hills? I just try to take each a section at a time. I did so on the 2nd biggest hill of my triathlon. I divided it up and ended up passing 10+ people here. I got anxious on the next hill (probably the 1st biggest hill) and attacked from the start and barely grinded over the top. In that 5 minute window, I learned how to climb well and how to not climb.
Old 06-02-13, 07:34 AM

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
90% of cycling is 50% mental.

Old 06-02-13, 07:42 AM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Speaking of . . . .
I've been wanting to read a book called "Sport Psychology for Cyclists" by Saul Miller.
It allegedly teaches athletes how to cultivate the thoughts, feelings, and insights necessary for optimal cycling performance.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-02-13, 07:51 AM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
I found that since I could not see far ahead I powered over hills that I would normally see and get psyched out before even reaching them. I rode more consistent and less fearful of the hills. I am not a climber. This was the second time I rode with out my glasses and found that my lack of vision helps me focus on riding and not the pending hills....
This sounds dangerous. Your sight tells you of a wide variety of threats you really need to know about as soon as possible so you can respond appropriately.

Getting psyched out is a separate problem. My guess is that problem will go away on its own as you ride more.
Old 06-02-13, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I was riding a treat up to January 2009, then raging bushfires swept through my area, destroying my home and killing 34 people in a nearby township. I stopped riding for months as I picked up the pieces. I still am nowhere back to where I was when I rode my fastest-ever century in January 2009.

External factors can play on a rider's mind as much as the immediate environment.
Old 06-02-13, 08:18 AM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
As someone who wears glasses and thus needs contacts to sport fancy sunglasses I rode today with shades and no contacts. I found that since I could not see far ahead I powered over hills that I would normally see and get psyched out before even reaching them. I rode more consistent and less fearful of the hills. I am not a climber. This was the second time I rode with out my glasses and found that my lack of vision helps me focus on riding and not the pending hills....I was wondering if anyone else psyches themselves out when riding?

1 mile sprint in 2.37 not bawls out but steady push.
It is contrary to the point of your post, but perhaps you are not aware that many lines of stylish cycling shades are available to be fitted with prescription lenses mounted behind or instead of the standard lens. This has become quite common. You can buy the base sunglasses from a sporting goods supplier and take them to the optometrist/optician to be fitted with the prescription lenses or in some cases buy the whole thing from the optician. Just sayin' you don't have to wear a combination of shades and contacts. I am sure many will respond that wearing contacts while riding is quite routine, but after I had the wind blow a lens out of my eye (with shades) and had to ride home half blind, I said never again.
Old 06-02-13, 08:33 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just tell your body to stop complaining (paraphrased from Jens Voigt).
Old 05-29-17, 06:18 AM

Bikes: S-WORKS

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is a story I often think about before a race. It is about Rik Van Steenbergen and Fausto Coppi during the 1952 Paris-Roubaix.

'...Van Steenbergen had won Paris-Roubaix in 1948, and Coppi two years later. Both knew each other well by this time, both had beaten the other, and this time each intended to win.

On entering the cobbled section, Coppi attacked with Ferdi Kubler. Van Steenbergen, farther back in the group, didn't even see the move. Once he found out he had little time to rectify matters. The Italian's reputation for never being caught was well known to the Belgian. Rik seized a chance and exploded off the front, hurtling over the cobbles while weaving from one side of the road to the other in search of the best line. He could see Coppi and Kubler from the dust they picked up. How could Rik hope to bring back two of the best time trialists in the world?

Rik recounted, "It took everything I had, and then some, to get up to them. When I finally caught them Coppi gave me the blackest look and attacked. I hadn't recuperated from the chase and I honestly don't know how I held onto him. I thought my heart was going to burst. Coppi accelerated again and again and Kubler was dropped. One more attack and I couldn't have held him either, but then I realized that even the championissimo was beginning to tire. At the moment when I was about to let him go, he eased up. Once on the track in Roubaix he didn't really contest the sprint." '
- Owen Mulholland (2006). Cycling's Golden Age: heroes of the postwar era, 1946-1967. Velo Press Books (pp.40-42)

Rik van Steenbergen won the race.
Old 05-29-17, 07:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
look after your safety tho, you may dislike seeing hills but if you can have a nasty crash because you didn't have your glasses on or weren't looking properly at the road

i personally like seeing a huge climb so i can feel like Lance in the TdF
Old 05-29-17, 08:23 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Now that uyou know what you were doing, wear your corrective lenses and control your own actions. Don't look all the way up the hill .... but compromising safety for speed? The reward better be huge.
Old 05-29-17, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
The thread is old lads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.