Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What do you think about this bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-13, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I am re-posting a thread that I started on the triathlon forum a few days ago, since I did not get any feedback there

I found this titanium bike that is currently on sale for $3500: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._da11_xiii.htm
The only size that is left is the one I need.

What do you think about it? Would you say that it is a particularly good deal, or not really worth it?
Titanium would work very well for me, for several reasons. I am not a cycling expert or champion by any stretch of the imagination, but I am thinking about getting a really good bike so that I can "grow" with it. Before that, I rode a nice entry-level aluminium/carbon road bike for a few years, but I got hit by a car, and need a replacement. I would like a bike that is fast enough to start competing.

I would really appreciate to hear any thought, opinion, or suggestion you may have. Many thanks!
Old 06-14-13, 12:33 AM
Mr. Dopolina

Bikes: KUUPAS, Simpson VR

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 41 Posts
The only Tri bike I saw on that page was a 2012 Kestrel on close-out.

Old 06-14-13, 01:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I see that the link I provided is broken. Here is the bike I am talking about: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._da11_xiii.htm

I am looking for a road bike actually, not a tri bike in particular. Thanks again!
Old 06-14-13, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
There are over a thousand different ways you can go in this price range, and they all appeal to somebody. If this appeals to you (Ti, DA 22, wheels, etc.) then it's a great deal. Realize of course that with mail-order bikes it's best if you are reasonably self sufficient in setting bike fit and routine bike maintenance. And any warranty issues may be more difficult/time-consuming to deal with. That said, I know of no LBS around here who would have a problem working on a decent mail-order bike. They'll just charge for what you might have gotten as part of the package had you bought the bike from them.
Old 06-14-13, 08:11 AM
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Melane
Thanks, I see that the link I provided is broken. Here is the bike I am talking about: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._da11_xiii.htm

I am looking for a road bike actually, not a tri bike in particular. Thanks again!
That bike is now only available with a 48cm frame. Does that fit you? I ride a Motobecane. I like it and I would definately consider getting the Ti Motobecane road bike when I decide to upgrade.
Old 06-14-13, 09:37 AM

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Everything on BD is always "on sale" so don't feel you need to rush.
Old 06-14-13, 09:44 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
BD is probably not a good choice for the OP unless he/she can do much of the work on the bike. Also I'm not convinced that the OP "needs" titanium as opposed to wanting it. Nothing wrong with getting what you want but that's different than getting what you need. If you want a racing bike, get one but it certainly doesn't have to be in titanium to be a bike you can "grow" into.
Old 06-14-13, 09:47 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by bikemig
BD is probably not a good choice for the OP unless he/she can do much of the work on the bike. Also I'm not convinced that the OP "needs" titanium as opposed to wanting it. Nothing wrong with getting what you want but that's different than getting what you need. If you want a racing bike, get one but it certainly doesn't have to be in titanium to be a bike you can "grow" into.
Why can't someone take a BD bike to an LBS for work? Will they turn their nose up and remove them from the store?
Old 06-14-13, 10:09 AM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am re-posting a thread that I started on the triathlon forum a few days ago, since I did not get any feedback there

I found this titanium bike that is currently on sale for $3500: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._da11_xiii.htm
The only size that is left is the one I need.

What do you think about it? Would you say that it is a particularly good deal, or not really worth it?
Titanium would work very well for me, for several reasons. I am not a cycling expert or champion by any stretch of the imagination, but I am thinking about getting a really good bike so that I can "grow" with it. Before that, I rode a nice entry-level aluminium/carbon road bike for a few years, but I got hit by a car, and need a replacement. I would like a bike that is fast enough to start competing.

I would really appreciate to hear any thought, opinion, or suggestion you may have. Many thanks!
If it is the right size, you like it and if you will ride it, buy it! The "fast enough" part is dependent upon the engine.
Old 06-14-13, 11:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the different opinions. That is all very sound, helpful, and encouraging.

Regarding the difference between what one needs and what one wants... There is no way I could say that I "need" such a nice bike. Why don't I just ride another $1000 bike since I loved the previous one? Because I am interested in seeing how much more fun I will have on a bike that is a lot better. I would not spend that much on a car, for instance. Just a matter of preference.

The reason I am so interested in Ti is that the bike will have to travel quite a bit, and perhaps not always in the best conditions. I will also use the bike as my main way of getting around town, to works etc.. I have seen how my aluminium frame suffered from my "normal" everyday usage, which is why I am reluctant to move to carbon. I would love to have a bike that I can keep for years, even if a careless driver cuts me off again.

I wonder how much commuting those particular wheels can handle... Could anyone tell me what to expect, sort off? I guess I can get a set of tougher wheels for commuting. Would that be a good idea? I make it sound like I need a steel fixie! But I take great care of my bikes, I would love to ride a bike that is better than anything I have had before, and I will definitely bring it regularly to my LBS. I am fine doing the regular maintenance myself, but they know better, and that's great.

Thanks again.
Old 06-14-13, 11:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
That bike is now only available with a 48cm frame. Does that fit you? I ride a Motobecane. I like it and I would definately consider getting the Ti Motobecane road bike when I decide to upgrade.
Good to know!
Yes, the 48 is exactly what I need actually, in term of effective tube length. Otherwise it sounds a little small, but I understand that it comes from the semi-compact geometry of the frame.
Old 06-14-13, 12:01 PM
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if i was going to pay that much for a bike, i think i would prefer a better frame. Just my 2 cents
Old 06-14-13, 12:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elduderino2412
if i was going to pay that much for a bike, i think i would prefer a better frame. Just my 2 cents
Fair point. What are you thinking about in particular? I don't really know how to assess frames...

Do you think one could find such nice components with a better frame for a similar price? Or do you mean that the money would be better spent in gears etc. that are less fancy, but a better frame?
Old 06-14-13, 12:26 PM
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you think one could find such nice components with a better frame for a similar price? Or do you mean that the money would be better spent in gears etc. that are less fancy, but a better frame?
You will have to downgrade the components some, but not much difference between ultegra and dura-ace except for some weight. You can def feel difference in various frames though.
Old 06-14-13, 12:39 PM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
For Your Application...

... the bike will have to travel quite a bit, and perhaps not always in the best conditions. I will also use the bike as my main way of getting around town, to works etc.. I have seen how my aluminium frame suffered from my "normal" everyday usage, which is why I am reluctant to move to carbon. I would love to have a bike that I can keep for years, even if a careless driver cuts me off again.

I wonder how much commuting those particular wheels can handle... Could anyone tell me what to expect, sort off? I guess I can get a set of tougher wheels for commuting. Would that be a good idea? I make it sound like I need a steel ...
Commuter bike that is durable, versatile, comfortable, and sporty. I realize that it's not available in your extra small size, but why not something like this:

https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...egoryId=400282

Seems like more what you need. A titanium racing bike? That doesn't fit your description very well...

My two cents.
Old 06-14-13, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by RPK79
Why can't someone take a BD bike to an LBS for work? Will they turn their nose up and remove them from the store?
You will have to pay for all the work so the bike is not so cheap by the time you pay for the work. A bike shop will stand behind its bike longer than BD does (at least from the various posts I've read online). The OP isn't all that clear on what kind of bike she needs and an LBS can help her. There are times when a LBS is better; in my opinion newbies are generally better off going thru a shop. The OP may feel differently; you might disagree, which is fine, but your post is off the mark.

Last edited by bikemig; 06-14-13 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-14-13, 12:51 PM

Thank you all for the different opinions. That is all very sound, helpful, and encouraging.

Regarding the difference between what one needs and what one wants... There is no way I could say that I "need" such a nice bike. Why don't I just ride another $1000 bike since I loved the previous one? Because I am interested in seeing how much more fun I will have on a bike that is a lot better. I would not spend that much on a car, for instance. Just a matter of preference.

The reason I am so interested in Ti is that the bike will have to travel quite a bit, and perhaps not always in the best conditions. I will also use the bike as my main way of getting around town, to works etc.. I have seen how my aluminium frame suffered from my "normal" everyday usage, which is why I am reluctant to move to carbon. I would love to have a bike that I can keep for years, even if a careless driver cuts me off again.

I wonder how much commuting those particular wheels can handle... Could anyone tell me what to expect, sort off? I guess I can get a set of tougher wheels for commuting. Would that be a good idea? I make it sound like I need a steel fixie! But I take great care of my bikes, I would love to ride a bike that is better than anything I have had before, and I will definitely bring it regularly to my LBS. I am fine doing the regular maintenance myself, but they know better, and that's great.

Thanks again.
If you want a bike made to travel and to commute, you may want to check out bike friday: https://www.bikefriday.com/
Old 06-14-13, 12:58 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by bikemig
You will have to pay for all the work so the bike is not so cheap by the time you pay for the work. A bike shop will stand behind its bike longer than BD does (at least from the various posts I've read online). The OP isn't all that clear on what kind of bike she needs and an LBS can help her. There are times when a LBS is better; in my opinion newbies are generally better off going thru a shop. The OP may feel differently; you might disagree, which is fine, but your post is off the mark.
I've read both positive and negative about BD and their warranty, but I always take these things with a grain of salt since most people dont' jump online to talk about good customer service they just come here to complain. I believe they will stand behind their bikes. You may have the inconvience of having to ship the bike though...

It would take a LOT of free/discounted service visits to make up for the difference in cost between a BD bike and the comprable LBS bike.

My post is not off the mark since it was in reply to your post that said "BD is probably not a good choice for the OP unless he/she can do much of the work on the bike.". This is obsurd since they can take the bike to the LBS for work. The LBS will not turn them away just because they bought the bike elsewhere. Service and accessories is where the shop makes the best margins anyway.
Old 06-14-13, 01:54 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
New triathlete here and I understand your concerns regarding Ti vs carbon issue. I would go Ti for durability with regards to the traveling harassment the frame could be subject to. Just my 3 cents because of inflation.