Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Underrated or under the radar Vintage road bikes.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Underrated or under the radar Vintage road bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-14, 09:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Teon
Agreed on the Lotus and Shogun. Around here, though,(Oregon) Centurions are not under the radar. Everyone and his uncle thinks that just the name Centurion commands at least $250, and if it's a late 80s Ironman(even though there were thousands made and they're easy to find) people here seem to think they're 'rare' and ask ridiculous $350+ for well used Ironmans.

However, around the rest of the country, when I look at craigslist search engines, Centurions seem to be much more reasonably priced.....so maybe it's just here on the west coast.
Yeah, I guess its regional. Higher end Centurions are pricey here. I surely miss mine, but I was running out of room in my apartment.
Old 02-18-14, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Actually in some recent information etc it looks like Tenax might just be Chromor labled differently instead of SL/SP, there's a thread somewhere on this.. but it wasn't definitive to me and I prefer to think it's SL.

Edit: And I'd have to say Tempos and Super Sports are still semi under the radar.. if all us Tenax owners could just keep our mouths shut!
Ixney on the enextey!! Got it!!
Old 02-18-14, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
STEVE WHITLATCH; I just noticed the thread about Cyclone being mid level shifting...there wasn't any difference between the Cyclone and the Superbe, they used exactly the same mechanicals with the Superbe using stiffer knuckles, wider parallelogram plates and stainless steel pivot pins...changes 99% of the users couldn't even feel, those Cyclones shifted far better than any other top of the line component manufacture made including Campy Record. The Cyclone wasn't even close to mid level, more like top of the line in the world with Superbe being a tad better than that! Heck the true "mid level" derailleur was the V series and those performed better than any other top of the line component manufacture product.
So whoever told you that Cyclone was mid level stuff needed their head examined.

Add to that needing heads examined comment the Prelude using the Tenax tubing was Columbus SL tubing which was good stuff, not the best in the racing world of steel but really nice stuff in the consumer market. The tubeset and fork weighed around 5.4 pounds. I have Tenax tubing on my Le Tour Luxe which was the best touring tubeset Schwinn offered on their best Voyager line of touring bikes, my touring bike weighs 25 pounds, but the Prelude with a lighter frame and components than mine weighed 24 pounds which isn't bad at all for the time period. I would say that frame is high mid level frame not mid level. The higher level Tempo used the same exact frame as your Prelude but weighed 2 pounds less...the weight savings came from the fork being cromoly instead of high tensile steel, wheels and components the frame/fork had the same weight.

The Super Sport for years was just a mid level bike for year, but Schwinn liked to do weird things so in 85 they jazzed the crap out of your bike and dropped the weight from 26.5 to 24 the previous year of yours then to 22 pounds for yours, and it's a beautiful bike...but it has the Tenax frame just as your Prelude has! The fork is same as the Tempo but with a different crown. 85 was a weird year for Schwinn, I have a 85 Le Tour Luxe and they did the same thing, jazzed it up, it has the same frame as the next step up Voyager had but had the same components as the higher level Voyager SP, again the weight difference of one pound between the Le Tour Luxe and the Voyagers is the fork except mine came out of the factory with 40 spoke wheels all around instead of the spec'd 40 rear and 36 front like the Voyagers and mine was suppose to have, plus they used double butted spokes all around which they didn't do with the Voyagers. So the Voyagers ended up being only a pound lighter than mine. The touring frames used Tenax Columbus SP which was thicker tubing then the SL for more weight carrying capacity.

Sorry a little rambling about the history, I'm not sure if it's 100% correct but at least is close enough.
Great info. Thanks. I have developed feeling for my bike I can`t seem to explain. She is beautiful, fun and now I know she is of good stock. Do they have a name for bike love? Is it Pedal-phelia?
Old 02-18-14, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my view, most of the decent quality British brands from the '70's early ' 80's.

531 or 531c frames, long wheelbases, long chainstays and box crown forks. You can put a nice tire in there an you have either a fast bike, or a really comfy take it out on roads, dirt, gravel or whatever else.

lovely bikes many of them.
Old 02-19-14, 01:01 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Count me as another who would consider the 1st and 2nd generation Cyclone to be as good a group as you could get... the 3rd generation was not as nice and by then you had Superbe and Superbe Pro which are arguably the finest friction derailleurs ever made.

The Cyclone was also lighter but the Superbe did gain some extra strength by adding a few more grams which made it more competitive with Campagnolo in that department.
Old 02-19-14, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to think my LeTour (or most late 80's Le Tours) are pretty under the radar. Most people seek out the Paramount, Voyageur, Premis, Peloton, etc., but the the full cromo LeTours kind of get ignored. I might be wrong.
Old 02-19-14, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Mondia under the radar? They certainly aren't under mine.
Old 02-19-14, 09:21 AM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Where does the word Schwinn mean bad? Only the low end bikes like Varsity, Continental, Suburban, Traveler, and a couple of others were horrid bikes, but they all some really nice bikes that ARE NOT sleeper bikes, the Paramount is a huge non sleeper, others like the Superior, Peloton, Prologue, Tempo, Super Sport, Madison, and the Prelude are not under the radar at least for most people who know bikes.
All the history I have ever read about Tenax was that they were blemished SL or SP Columbus tubing, the only thing I could find that wasn't forum based was this: https://search.bikelist.org/beta/View....aspx?id=58308

If you scan down a bit you'll read this bit of history:

"According to an old Bicycling! article from the mid-80s, Tenax was
essentially the same as SP (had the same wall thicknesses, etc.) but had
looser quality controls. So it was double butted seamless Cyclex (sp?)
steel. I think Schwinn bought all of it/was the exclusive user of it. Any
frame from made of Tenax should be pretty stout, especially in smaller
sizes."

I've read a lot of stuff on forums in regards to this, and there was some years ago a guy who use to be one of the heads of Schwinn commented on a forum said the same basic thing as I quoted above.

And VeloBase has this: https://www.velobase.com/ViewFramePar...c-896abd64ba6f

And then there's this: https://mauisvintage.blogspot.com/201...-revealed.html

My understanding from an old Schwinn store owner was that Tenax used Columbus SL and SP depending on the bike, the touring bikes got the SP, and the racing road bikes got the SL with the exception being larger sized racing bikes got the SP too.

Schwinn did the same thing Trek did in the 80's, Schwinn sourced out to Columbus to have a tubeset built for them exclusively for a slight discount than the branded Columbus SL or SL; Trek did the same thing with the Reynolds 531cs, cs was only sold by Trek for slight discount, although after Trek stopped using it there was some inventory left and some custom builders used it...the same thing happened to Tenax.

So I tend to think and believe that it was indeed Columbus SL or SP.
Here's the thread I was thinking of, like I said I still prefer to believe mine's SL. After all this is only one actual source with no verification.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...s-Tenax-Tubing
Old 02-19-14, 11:28 AM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
Do they have a name for bike love? Is it Pedal-phelia?
LOL, I just don't think I would use that word around those that don't understand cycling!! LOL
Old 02-19-14, 11:36 AM

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by RaleighSport
Here's the thread I was thinking of, like I said I still prefer to believe mine's SL. After all this is only one actual source with no verification.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...s-Tenax-Tubing
Not sure what to make of that, I've seen that before but it's the only place on the internet that mentions that, all the other sites including the ones I provided earlier, and from people I either knew or from a former Schwinn family member that use to post on some forum all the time about Schwinns when the question came up, all say it's either SL or SP and Thron never came up in the equation. I kind of tend to agree it's SL and SP, if a proven Schwinn bike designer that worked on those designs of those bikes came along and refuted it saying it was Thron then I might be on the fence, but for right now I'm not.
Old 02-19-14, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Whitlatch
Great info. Thanks. I have developed feeling for my bike I can`t seem to explain. She is beautiful, fun and now I know she is of good stock. Do they have a name for bike love? Is it Pedal-phelia?
Velo-phelia.
Old 02-19-14, 03:26 PM

Bikes: See my signature.....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spacemanz
Anything West of the Rockies has a premium, which grows as you proceed further West and/or North. !?!
Agreed. Eugene, Portland, Seattle are all very lousy areas to try and find a reasonably priced vintage bike. San Fran, from looking at the search engines, also looks just as high as Portland. I see some of the prices from the midwest and the south, and I just feel like crying......lucky velo-heads, to have such cheap prices on average!

Last edited by Teon; 02-19-14 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-19-14, 03:46 PM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Where does the word Schwinn mean bad? Only the low end bikes like Varsity, Continental, Suburban, Traveler, and a couple of others were horrid bikes, but they all some really nice bikes that ARE NOT sleeper bikes, the Paramount is a huge non sleeper, others like the Superior, Peloton, Prologue, Tempo, Super Sport, Madison, and the Prelude are not under the radar at least for most people who know bikes.
Not sure what to make of that, I've seen that before but it's the only place on the internet that mentions that, all the other sites including the ones I provided earlier, and from people I either knew or from a former Schwinn family member that use to post on some forum all the time about Schwinns when the question came up, all say it's either SL or SP and Thron never came up in the equation. I kind of tend to agree it's SL and SP, if a proven Schwinn bike designer that worked on those designs of those bikes came along and refuted it saying it was Thron then I might be on the fence, but for right now I'm not.
And I'd have to say we have the same overall opinion, just always interesting what "info" is out there.
Old 02-19-14, 04:57 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Agreed. Eugene, Portland, Seattle are all very lousy areas to try and find a reasonably priced vintage bike. San Fran, from looking at the search engines, also looks just as high as Portland. I see some of the prices from the midwest and the south, and I just feel like crying......lucky velo-heads, to have such cheap prices on average!
Buy a cheap used car in Portland, drive it to Phoenix and sell it at a profit. Buy an old bike cheap in Phoenix, and ride it back to Portland. Sell it at a profit. Rinse and repeat.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-19-14, 05:01 PM

Bikes: See my signature.....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Buy a cheap used car in Portland, drive it to Phoenix and sell it at a profit. Buy an old bike cheap in Phoenix, and ride it back to Portland. Sell it at a profit. Rinse and repeat.
LMAO!!! That's probably very true. We were down in Phoenix a few years back vacationing with relatives who live there, and I found a really nice mid 80s raleigh super course frameset with extras for dirt cheap.

Although, I don't know about the "ride it back to Portland".....that might take awhile.....lol
Old 02-19-14, 06:38 PM

LMAO!!! That's probably very true. We were down in Phoenix a few years back vacationing with relatives who live there, and I found a really nice mid 80s raleigh super course frameset with extras for dirt cheap.

Although, I don't know about the "ride it back to Portland".....that might take awhile.....lol
But with the profit made selling the car in Phoenix you bought yourself a once in a lifetime touring trip on a bike back to Portland and you get to keep the bike...I like it!
Old 02-19-14, 07:07 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
This was not my idea. It was expressed by a writer from the New York Times who traveled to Portland just to report on the used bike market there. Phoenix does have high used car prices and low used bike prices, and as you know, it's the opposite in Portland.

She wrote that it was hard to find a bike in her $500 budget and went to many shops. One shop worker rolled his eyes and said he might have something low priced, for about $450.

She visited Target where new bikes have $200 prices but the manager said they don't sell. Portlanders would rather buy used bikes. You and I know why that is, but I'm sure it sounds odd to most people.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-19-14, 09:12 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
I knew some guys who would buy a trucklod of oranges in Florida (excuse me, Flarda) for a dollar an orange, then sell them in New Jersey for a dollar an orange. When they realized they weren't making any money they decided they needed a bigger truck.
Old 02-19-14, 09:15 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
She wrote that it was hard to find a bike in her $500 budget and went to many shops.
Key sentence in this discussion, emphasis added. Sure, Portland prices are high. But she was going to SHOPS. How are the deals at "shops" in NYC? I wouldn't think her $500 would go that far there either, perhaps a little better.

The main vintage bike shop here wants $350 to $400 even for crap. Meanwhile, on C/L, much nicer bikes linger at the $200+/- mark. Some buyers "think" they are getting a bike in better mechanical condition, which is pretty funny when you see the crap they are selling. And the 5-6 rider who the "pros" at that shop convinced would fit on a 25 inch frame. Priceless.

Last edited by wrk101; 02-19-14 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-20-14, 04:01 PM
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 193 Posts
I'm going to say Lugged Miele's and Trek's made with Reynold's 501 steel.

70's Raliegh Mixte's and early 90's Mongoose everything.
Old 02-20-14, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Ease up on the apostrophes!
Old 12-19-19, 06:03 AM

Bikes: 73 Cinelli SC, 77 Trek TX900, 85 Masi Prestige, 85 Gios Professional, 86 Fuji Opus III, 86 Pro Miyata, 87 Koga Miyata FullPro, 89 Trek 660, 91 De Rosa Pro, 91 Cinelli SC, 91 Gary Fisher Procaliber, 91 Stumperjumper comp, 92 Serotta Colorado TG

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 18 Posts
The Fuji Opus III is, in my personal opinion, the most underrated vintage bike I have come across. Having owned and ridden some notable C&V machines(Cinelli SC, De Rosa Pro, Masi Prestige , Gios Pro , Colnago Master, Trek tx900, Team Miyata, Waterford paramount, etc), the Fuji Opus III is a standout and truly remarkable. They have a cult following but not the kind of widespread demand that drives prices up to excessive levels like some of the other coveted vintage bikes have. They tend to sell for less than $500 from what I've seen, which is a giveaway price in my opinion. The supply of them is so small, finding one in your size can take many years. I looked for one for over 5 years and while searching for one, saw many other "rare" bikes come and go. I would certainly buy a 2nd or even 3rd Opus III if I am able to find another.

Last edited by Retrogrouch731; 12-19-19 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-19-19, 06:20 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
I knew some guys who would buy a trucklod of oranges in Florida (excuse me, Flarda) for a dollar an orange, then sell them in New Jersey for a dollar an orange. When they realized they weren't making any money they decided they needed a bigger truck.
Which kind of explains college tuition and medical costs.

+1 on the Fuji Opus III (Magnum Opus) and I'll toss in the Fuji S10S tourer, and the Feather track bike, if we're talking Fuji.

And the 1985 Raleigh Racing USA Series.

And the UO8 mixte. Could be the nicest $25 bike ever.
Old 12-19-19, 11:43 AM
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
Its the same with non bicycle brands too. If a "critical mass" production number hasn't been reached then buyers don't actively seek out the stuff. Steals to be had.

Motorbikes, cars, bicycles, whatever.

I'll 2nd that Alan can be overlooked if you like those, and all the misc Japan smaller brand names really, That Sekai type stuff.
Old 12-19-19, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I would keep an eye out for 70's -80's American builders- they do show up.

recently bought a Celmins built in Santa Barbara California. Little known even back then.

There re are plenty out there - often with no branding - often unlabeled - search Campagnolo, Sugino, Shimano

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.