Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

And the test rides begin: CR!, Defy Advanced, Roubaix et al

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

And the test rides begin: CR!, Defy Advanced, Roubaix et al

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-13, 02:13 PM

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by recneps345
This is what I noticed as well. The thing was just really responsive, and it seemed to accelerate really well. I took mine out on a 60 mile ride the other day, and it felt as nice as my Lemond/steel. Good luck. Only thing I didn't love was it was fairly plain looking. Just a touch of blue. I will get some handlebars/tires later on that are the same teal/turquoise to give it a little flare. I do love the ride though. Also, seems to be a great value at 2500 before tax.
The one I tested yesterday was Green Edge tinted...really nice looking.
Old 07-31-13, 04:02 PM

Tested the Domaine 4.5 today. First impression is that it was easily the smoothest riding of the bikes I've done so far. Just clean as can be. The brakes, as on the Giant, nearly catapulted me off the frame compared to my OCR. The Ultegra/105 mix seemed okay. The test bike could use a tune up. Size of the shifters for my hands was fine.

Compared to the Scott, it seemed slightly more sluggish on the take off. It's hard to know for sure as I had my pedals and shoes on the CR1 and only had tennis shoes with me on this one. The Trek tracked nicely on the small hills around the shop. I'd like to hear from other Trek owners on the acceleration question.

They only have the black/white combo for this bike. Not my favorite overall but decent. Trek has these on sale at the moment so the pricing is good.

Seems the Scott is first, but only by the narrowest of margins, followed by the Trek. However the CR1 is definitely not as smooth of a ride and that could tip the scale.
The Giant is off my list as it just didn't do much for me.
Old 07-31-13, 04:36 PM

Bikes: Orbea Orca Rival, Specialized Roubaix SL2 Rival, Specialized CrossTrail Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think I missed it, but you haven't tested the Roubaix yet, right?
Old 07-31-13, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by IANative
I don't think I missed it, but you haven't tested the Roubaix yet, right?
Not yet. One of my LBS has both Trek and Spec. and are really pushing the Trek as the better option. They didn't have my size in the Roubaix at the moment.
Old 07-31-13, 05:05 PM

Bikes: Felt Z5, Trek Domane 2.0 Cannondale 3.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not to harp on about Felt Z series, but have you tried one yet?
Old 07-31-13, 05:17 PM

Bikes: '13 Spech Roubaix SL4 Expert

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nesdog
Not yet. One of my LBS has both Trek and Spec. and are really pushing the Trek as the better option. They didn't have my size in the Roubaix at the moment.
Do not, let me emphasize that, DO NOT decide without having tried the roubaix. I love mine and it is absolutely perfect. Sl4 ultegra of course but even the sl3 is an absolute piece of great machinery
Old 07-31-13, 05:29 PM

My price point is mid 2's so the SL3 is probably off the table.

Haven't tried the Felt yet.
Old 07-31-13, 08:06 PM

Bikes: Orbea Orca Rival, Specialized Roubaix SL2 Rival, Specialized CrossTrail Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My price point is mid 2's so the SL3 is probably off the table.
Don't be so sure... this is the time of year the 13's get knocked down to make room for the 14's. Depending on components, I think an SL3 Roubaix in the mid-2K range is very doable.
Old 07-31-13, 08:38 PM

Bikes: make me happy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Tested the Domaine 4.5 today. First impression is that it was easily the smoothest riding of the bikes I've done so far. Just clean as can be. The brakes, as on the Giant, nearly catapulted me off the frame compared to my OCR. The Ultegra/105 mix seemed okay. The test bike could use a tune up. Size of the shifters for my hands was fine.

Compared to the Scott, it seemed slightly more sluggish on the take off. It's hard to know for sure as I had my pedals and shoes on the CR1 and only had tennis shoes with me on this one. The Trek tracked nicely on the small hills around the shop. I'd like to hear from other Trek owners on the acceleration question.

They only have the black/white combo for this bike. Not my favorite overall but decent. Trek has these on sale at the moment so the pricing is good.

Seems the Scott is first, but only by the narrowest of margins, followed by the Trek. However the CR1 is definitely not as smooth of a ride and that could tip the scale.
The Giant is off my list as it just didn't do much for me.
I have that bike. I didn't have the Scott to compare it to, but I did compare it to the SL4 Roubaix. I came from an entry-level aluminum from REI so anything to me felt quick, but the Domane is very quick. I am surprised to hear it described as sluggish.

I felt the Roubaix felt more solid and the Domane more lively, even though the road isolation with both of them is impressive. In fact, several times I was riding the Domane on a favorite loop and wondered 'what's that sound?' only to realize that it was a familiar rough road that I couldn't feel the vibrations from, and I didn't hear it on my old bike because I couldn't go as fast without being shaken to pieces!
Old 08-01-13, 04:16 AM

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I also have the Domane (5 series), and love it. On your lively question, there's no doubt that on my last frame when I jumped on the pedals it felt like like it was springing into action. The whole bike had frankly more of an exhilarating feeling. The Domane felt smooth and solid, absolutely no difference in performance or feel of flex just more stable at speeds and acceleration but without the cool feeling of always being on the edge. I imagine its due to the longer chain stays. I'll never look back though, if the frame is comfortable and fits you properly whichever the model I'd jump on it.

Last edited by robbyville; 08-01-13 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-01-13, 05:22 AM
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
Do not, let me emphasize that, DO NOT decide without having tried the roubaix. I love mine and it is absolutely perfect. Sl4 ultegra of course but even the sl3 is an absolute piece of great machinery
I agree with this as a Roubaix SL3 Pro owner. To me the Roubaix SL3 and SL4 are among the best bikes on the planet.
That said, I don't believe any of the top end bikes...Scott or Trek will be worse...just different. So it will depend on your preference OP at the end of the day. For example the geometry is different on each bike. The Domane has a bit quicker steering than the Roubaix. You may or may not like the hinge when hammering out of the saddle.
I will tell you that I have ridden with two guys that ride new Domanes and one is a racer and these guys are VERY fast and love the bike. The bike isn't slowing them down in other words. But the bikes are different so it will depend what you want essentially.
Old 08-01-13, 05:27 AM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
I also have the Domane (5 series), and love it. On your lively question, there's no doubt that on my last frame when I jumped on the pedals it felt like like it was jumping into action. The whole bike had frankly more of an exhilarating feeling. The Domane felt smooth and solid, absolutely no difference in performance or feel of flex just more stable at speeds and acceleration but without the cool feeling of always feeling on the edge. I imagine its due to the longer chain stays. I'll never look back though, if the frame is comfortable and fits you properly whichever the model I'd jump on it.
Believe its the same way for the Roubaix. The bike doesn't have the same feel as the twitchier and shorter rear chainstay Tarmac which feels more alive. So it really depends what you want. A bike that feels a bit more nervous or jumpy and ready to pounce or a bike that doesn't have quite that edge and is a bit steadier. I prefer the latter for overall riding including a lot of riding in groups. But others will clearly want the bike that feels more alive.
Old 08-01-13, 10:50 AM

Position on the OCR is pretty upright. Not sure if the CR1 is as much and that is some concern as I've got a 30 year old mind but a 60 year old body! The Scott LBS is offering the 105 mix at roughly the same price as the Trek 4.5, which is Ultegra/105. Scott slightly lighter. Still searching out a Roubaix and Felt for a test.
Old 08-01-13, 08:12 PM

Got an e-mail from my Scott dealer emphasizing that the Trek 4.5 is their entry level carbon compared to the Scott, which uses the same higher end materials on their frames throughout the CR line. I checked on Trek's website and do note that the 4 Series is different than the 5 and 6 Series Domaines.
Old 08-02-13, 06:45 AM

Got an e-mail from my Scott dealer emphasizing that the Trek 4.5 is their entry level carbon compared to the Scott, which uses the same higher end materials on their frames throughout the CR line. I checked on Trek's website and do note that the 4 Series is different than the 5 and 6 Series Domaines.
True. I think the only difference between them though is a bit of weight and external cable routing vs. internal. I can tell you that when I was looking at buying my frame the difference in price between the 5 vs. The 6 series was definitely not worth it. With the warranties on pretty much any bike that you're looking at I don't think this should play too much into your decision. Keep trying bikes until you find your perfect balance of fit and feel. You'll ride more if you do. Good luck!
Old 08-02-13, 09:02 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The main difference in carbon will be the bike weight and stiffness. The Trek may not be as stiff and will be slightly heavier. So its a minor difference but not something to really sweat over if you like the Trek better. You could always test a 5.X and see if the carbon really does matter.
Old 08-04-13, 09:25 AM

Okay, this whole thing is on hold now. Crashed in a parking lot yesterday hitting an unseen bump or crack. Went down on the hip and now living on ice bags. So will be at least a few weeks before I revisit the bike testing.
Old 08-04-13, 09:30 AM

Ouch sorry to hear that! Heal well
Old 08-04-13, 11:12 AM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I also have the Domane (5 series), and love it. On your lively question, there's no doubt that on my last frame when I jumped on the pedals it felt like like it was springing into action. The whole bike had frankly more of an exhilarating feeling. The Domane felt smooth and solid, absolutely no difference in performance or feel of flex just more stable at speeds and acceleration but without the cool feeling of always being on the edge. I imagine its due to the longer chain stays. I'll never look back though, if the frame is comfortable and fits you properly whichever the model I'd jump on it.
Hi Robby,
A question please about your new Domane. I have read a lot about the bike and ridden with some guys that own new ones and they love the bike. In particular I am interested in the handlebar on your new Domane. The bar is quite unique in the industry and developed as a joint effort between Trek and Bontrager with a lot of pro input. Based upon my limited exposure, they seem to have nailed the shape as well as the comfort of the handlebar.

Have you unraveled your bar tape to have a look? Do you know on the 5 series Domane if Trek provides the carbon fiber version of the Isozone Bonty handlebar...or the alloy version which also has the imbedded closed cell pads but in the case of the less pricey alloy bar only along the top of the bar and not on the drops. You should also be able to determine handlebar material by looking near the stem without unraveling the tape. How do you like the handlebar?
I am seriously considering buying the carbon version of the Bonty Isozone bar and replacing the FSA Kwing compact I have on my Roubaix which is a very good handlebar but don't think it is quite in the same league as the new Bonty bar. Not only do I like the shape of the new Bonty bar but also subscribe to the concept of an integrated high density foam adding comfort and vibration reduction to the handlebar.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Domane Bonty Handlebar.jpg (65.5 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by Campag4life; 08-04-13 at 11:16 AM.
Old 08-04-13, 01:16 PM

Hi Campag,

i wish I could tell you more, but I purchased my frame as a unit to replace my Ridley and transferred my components over.

the 6 series comes with the carbon the 5 the alloy. I have tried the carbon one for about 25 miles and really liked the shape but found it almost a little too dulling. I currently ride the Ritchey WCS carbon curve with lizard skins 3.2 which was the perfect blend. If you like your current bar shape have you tried the LS 3.2? Very comfy and not spongy at all.
Old 08-04-13, 04:40 PM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Hi Campag,

i wish I could tell you more, but I purchased my frame as a unit to replace my Ridley and transferred my components over.

the 6 series comes with the carbon the 5 the alloy. I have tried the carbon one for about 25 miles and really liked the shape but found it almost a little too dulling. I currently ride the Ritchey WCS carbon curve with lizard skins 3.2 which was the perfect blend. If you like your current bar shape have you tried the LS 3.2? Very comfy and not spongy at all.
Is there such a thing as too dulling when you are ripping the real rough stuff?
So...you didn't care much for the padding of the Bonty Isozone bar Robby?...and prefer a pure carbon bar with Lizard Skin?

I haven't tried the Lizard Skin but will give it a shot. Reading some reviews, I am half tempted to try the Bonty alloy Isozone handlebar with LS 3.2. I could also clamp a clip on areo bar without concern of marring or carbon bar compatibility. Do you prefer the extra cushion of the 3.2 to the 2.5?

Many thanks.
Old 08-04-13, 06:04 PM

Maybe do a demo ride on alike with one. It just felt a little too detached from the rest of the bike. I've used both 2.5 and 3.2 I prefer the 3.2 although I would have thought it would be too bulky or soft it really isn't.
Old 08-04-13, 07:10 PM
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Maybe do a demo ride on alike with one. It just felt a little too detached from the rest of the bike. I've used both 2.5 and 3.2 I prefer the 3.2 although I would have thought it would be too bulky or soft it really isn't.
Appreciate the good advice Robby.
Cheers.
Old 08-04-13, 07:55 PM

Good luck. Would live to hear your thoughts if you try either out
Old 08-04-13, 08:22 PM

As I was getting jostled off the bike yesterday, just milliseconds before I whacked into the ground, I thought to myself "Okay, I want the smoothest riding bike in the world 'cause then I might not flying towards a very hard landing!" I gotta take a longer look at the Domaine! Maybe it would have saved me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.