Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

catrike i saw today (pics)

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-13, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

this fella stopped for a breather. we shot the bull for a bit and this runner comes staggering up. 'caught ya!', he heaves. they both laughed. they posed.
it is an exposition (?), with upgrades.
nice bike, but with my bad legs, once in, never out.
db are manual, no rear brake. put on a 'handlebar' extension. his 5th trike. his wife confiscated one for herself, others sold. he got this one off craigslist. price unknown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0139.jpg (100.4 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0140.jpg (100.1 KB, 81 views)
Old 06-30-13, 05:31 AM
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ka0use
nice bike, but with my bad legs, once in, never out.
You have options,

We, have a Delta, I love to ride it, and because my wife has bad legs, mild CP, its the only thing she can ride.
easy entry/egress...
We got this one 7 years ago, new for $700, now they are about $1100 but still not $2500 like Tadpoles,,,,
Great future base for an E-Trike, very stable below 15 mph, going faster is hard anyways..
We replaced the original low pressure Kenda quest tires with the same thing deciding we did not have rolling resistance issues
to begin with and It has been ultimately reliable:

We both ride near traffic now and then and felt a Tadpole would be too hard to be seen even with flags....
I rented a Tad and loved it, would like to have one for MUPS but I do feel the view is better on the Delta.

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-30-13, 06:20 AM

Bikes: 2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1, 2003 Sun EZ-Sport Limited, 2011 TerraTrike Path 8, 2018 Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can get higher seated tadpoles, too (and lower cost ones), and I find that my (fairly low, although not Cat 700 or ICE Vortex low) tadpole, with a flag, is far more visible than an upright bicycle - a motorist doesn't have a category to subconsciously file it under, so they notice it.

And, there's also assist handles to help get up out of a tadpole.
Old 06-30-13, 05:15 PM

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Catrike Expedition

Looks like a Catrike Expedition because of the 26" rear wheel. That's the only Catrike model where it is a stock item. MSRP is $2,550. Catrike makes the Villager as a more upright tadpole trike MSRP $2,350. There's a good reason for not having a rear brake on a tadpole trike. If you grab the rear brake hard, it's possible to lose traction on the rear wheel and have it swing around sideways causing you to lose control of the trike. None of my tadpole trikes have a rear brake. Braking instability is what other people have reported on Bentrideronline after riding the one or two brands that have rear brakes.

The Catrikes are intelligently designed, beautifully built, and come with good quality, name-brand components. That's why they are not cheap. It's possible to get some aftermarket products that attach to the steering components to help you get up out of a tadpole seat.

BTW I have ridden more than 30,000 miles on tadpole trikes in an urban/suburban setting without worrying about not being seen. I ride carefully but unafraid. My current trike, a Catrike 700, is even lower than the Expedition. Most people give me far more room on the trike than on a DF bike.
Old 07-01-13, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
please can anyone help me looking for used trike in NYC area at a reasonable price?
Old 07-01-13, 06:16 AM

Bikes: 2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1, 2003 Sun EZ-Sport Limited, 2011 TerraTrike Path 8, 2018 Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And, anything produced nowadays with a rear brake will usually use a friction shifter as the brake "lever", and the brake will only be used as a parking brake. (Myself, I'd rather not have the weight of a rear brake, and just use locking levers, or the rubber brake lever holder thingy I have now.)
Old 07-01-13, 06:38 AM
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by The Savages
please can anyone help me looking for used trike in NYC area at a reasonable price?
Check the classified section on the bentrideronline.com forum. Or, if you're interested in a Catrike, they have their own Yuku forum with a "for sale" section.