Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Truth about clipless pedals.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Truth about clipless pedals.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-13, 09:58 PM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
thinking isn't aero
It will lead to earlier exhaustion.
Old 07-02-13, 10:01 PM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
At the risk of taking this post seriously....

Originally Posted by hillcrawler
As you know, you are applying maybe 4 different types of force with clipless pedals.
No, you aren't. That's a myth.

Data from pedal-based power meters makes it very clear that you apply very little useable force on the upstroke when clipped in. You aren't applying power throughout the entire pedal stroke; what you're doing is pushing down, and then getting your leg out of the way. I.e. a bicycle operates like a two-stroke engine.

Clipless does not:
• Significantly increase power output
• Fix crappy pedaling technique
• Make it physically easier to climb

The benefits of clipless are:
• Improved control
• Staying attached to the pedals when applying lots of power (e.g. sprinting)
• Encourage riders to use stiff-soled bike shoes
• Improved ride feel

Clipless doesn't cause any real harm, and offers useful advantages for many riders. But it's still not the case that you are applying force in "four directions."
Old 07-02-13, 11:19 PM

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
At the risk of taking this post seriously....

No, you aren't. That's a myth.

Data from pedal-based power meters makes it very clear that you apply very little useable force on the upstroke when clipped in. You aren't applying power throughout the entire pedal stroke; what you're doing is pushing down, and then getting your leg out of the way. I.e. a bicycle operates like a two-stroke engine.

Clipless does not:
• Significantly increase power output

• Improved control
• Improved ride feel

Clipless doesn't cause any real harm, and offers useful advantages for many riders. But it's still not the case that you are applying force in "four directions."
What? That took you 2 pages??? Slacker!
Old 07-03-13, 02:12 AM
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been thinking about this while i was riding today. I have a hybrid bike with flat pedals and road bike clipless. As you know, you are applying maybe 4 different types of force with clipless pedals. Pressing, lifting, pushing (forward) and pulling (back). Well but in the same time you are wasting, let's say consuming more energy for your extra efforts. In the end you are getting exhausted quicker. Maybe it sounds bullish but i gave a thought about it. What would you say?
Based on this, I would say you probably coast a lot.
Old 07-03-13, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
There can be additional force applied on the upstroke during hard climbing and hard accellerating.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-03-13, 05:14 AM
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Clipless does not:
Significantly increase power output

• Improved control
• Improved ride feel

Clipless may not "significantly" increase power output, but it allows you to maintain the same power output for a longer time, which is in all reality, an increase in power.

By using other muscles besides the main "push down" group, you spread the burden around which makes all the muscles involved last longer.
Old 07-03-13, 05:16 AM

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fell yesterday because i didn't unclip fast enough...I laughed at myself...DUMBA$$...At least i was OK and was able to laugh at myself...It was only about my 5th time ever on a bike with clipless pedals......Momentary lapse of reason.
Old 07-03-13, 05:30 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
paging alan bike houston
Oh boy! A ghost from the past!
Old 07-03-13, 05:37 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I would love to see the guys from the TTT yesterday do it again with platform pedals. I wonder how that would go.

Anyone done a TT clipless, then in as same conditions as possible, done it again with platforms?
Old 07-03-13, 06:04 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,465 Posts
I test rode a tt/tri bike with platforms. Every time I came to a hill or needed to pick up the pace substantially I couldn't keep my feet stationary on the pedals.
Old 07-03-13, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yet another troll thread.
Old 07-03-13, 06:40 AM
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by thump55
Clipless may not "significantly" increase power output, but it allows you to maintain the same power output for a longer time, which is in all reality, an increase in power.
I've never seen a single scrap of evidence to support this claim.

By using other muscles besides the main "push down" group, you spread the burden around which makes all the muscles involved last longer.
You use the same muscles, whether or not you use any foot retention.

Researchers and experts like Andy Pruitt have used pedal-based power meters for years. No one adds power on the upstroke, not even top pros. All you wind up doing is lifting your leg, without losing contact.

Clipless is not about power, it's about control.
Old 07-03-13, 06:47 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Shouldn't this thread be called "Speculation about clipless pedals?"
It should bear the honorary name of 'Fred's Conjecture'.

To the layman, this might make sense, but in practice, clipless, like Forrest's testimony, has helped my legs become better cycling tools. That sentence sure contained a lot of commas.

Your witness.

Last edited by RT; 07-03-13 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-03-13, 06:52 AM
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by whitemax
Yet another troll thread.
It really does feel like winter recently.
Old 07-03-13, 07:16 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
whatever, can we change the freakin names tho. you clip in and out of clipless pedals. rattraps with straps have no clips. please people, can we change the names.
Old 07-03-13, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Shouldn't this thread be called "Speculation about clipless pedals?"
It should be called trolling for the sake of trolling
Old 07-03-13, 07:23 AM
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Researchers and experts like Andy Pruitt have used pedal-based power meters for years. No one adds power on the upstroke, not even top pros. All you wind up doing is lifting your leg, without losing contact.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 07-03-13, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts

Have you ever sprinted, or attacked (or chased an attack) on a climb ? I can feel my foot trying to pull out of my shoe from the upward force.

On longer sustained climbs, I can decide to utilize my hamstrings and pull through the bottom of the stroke. With some shoes with older delta cleats, if there was any play, you can feel the shoe slide back ..... I'm curious about these "studies" and how they were run.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-03-13, 07:41 AM
Climbing: Ropes or Wheels

Bikes: 2012 Scott Foil 30, Homebrew Windsor Fens Build, 2015 Fuji Touring, 1980 Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been thinking about this while i was riding today. I have a hybrid bike with flat pedals and road bike clipless. As you know, you are applying maybe 4 different types of force with clipless pedals. Pressing, lifting, pushing (forward) and pulling (back). Well but in the same time you are wasting, let's say consuming more energy for your extra efforts. In the end you are getting exhausted quicker. Maybe it sounds bullish but i gave a thought about it. What would you say?
Let's break this down, engineering style.

Unless you've got one of those funny (and pretty damn cool, imo) elliptical crank sets, your crank and drive train in general are radially symmetrical. So really, they don't care which 'direction' you're pulling/pushing, just that energy is going from you to it. (In reality, since it's a polar [radial] system, you are only really pushing in one direction the whole time, you're just using different muscle groups to accomplish it. So, if consider using the exact same amount of energy on platform vs clipless, you just get to spread that energy payment over different muscle groups, which helps to keep you from exhausting yourself too quickly.

Also, it should help you maintain a more consistent power output. Like I said, the crank doesn't really care which "direction" you push, but you're not using the same radial system as it. So when using platform, you can only push down, which only lets you use one quarter(ish) of the crank rotation per arm, or about half the rotation in total. Pulling/pushing in other directions uses - again, assuming the same amount of energy - the same energy spread more consistently over the crank.

As for clipping/unclipping, I still have the occassional trouble unclipping really quickly, but it's a necessary evil IMO.
Old 07-03-13, 07:42 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
I would love to see the guys from the TTT yesterday do it again with platform pedals. I wonder how that would go.

Anyone done a TT clipless, then in as same conditions as possible, done it again with platforms?
How about a flying 200 meters on a track bike?
Old 07-03-13, 07:46 AM

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Competition (Restored to Original), 1986 Cannonade SR400 (Updated to Dura Ace 7800)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, but don't forget about the aerodynamic efficiency of some platform pedals. The airfoil shape helps generate lift that can negate the weight of the bicycle. You don't get that on a clipless pedal.

Science rules.

Old 07-03-13, 07:47 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
whatever, can we change the freakin names tho. you clip in and out of clipless pedals. rattraps with straps have no clips. please people, can we change the names.
In baseball, it's called a strike when the ball isn't struck with the bat into the field of play.. Why not call it "not struck" instead?

And what about home plate? It's five sided. No plates in my home are five sided. They have two sides, the top and the bottom.

And the foul line is fair. Why not call it the "fair line"?
Old 07-03-13, 07:54 AM
I got 99 problems....

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Have you ever sprinted, or attacked (or chased an attack) on a climb ? I can feel my foot trying to pull out of my shoe from the upward force.

On longer sustained climbs, I can decide to utilize my hamstrings and pull through the bottom of the stroke. With some shoes with older delta cleats, if there was any play, you can feel the shoe slide back ..... I'm curious about these "studies" and how they were run.

I will however, agree to agree with you.
Old 07-03-13, 08:04 AM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Not sure how long you have been riding, but back until the mid to late 80s we used quill pedal which had toe clip and straps on them. The shoes still had cleats, but the cleats were slotted to fit over the back edge of the quill pedal and then the toe strap was tightened to get a good interface between shoe and pedal. That is what I and many others rode on back in the day. Still have a set of quills with toe clips and my old Specialized shoes in my gear bag. The style of pedals used now are indeed clipless, as they no longer require toe clips or straps, but instead use cleats and spring tension in most cases. And they are far easier to get in and out of than the old quill pedals with toe clips and straps.
Old 07-03-13, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by GT4
I wanted to emphasize that he flipped on his bike still attached to his bike.
Let's think this through. Would it have been a nice day if he flipped, but came loose from his bike?

No, flipping your bike means you're going to have a very bad day whether you're attached to it or not.

The thing we should learn from your story isn't that clipless pedals are bad or dangerous, it's that you shouldn't run your bike into things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.