Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Time trial bikes...

Old 02-24-05, 05:46 PM
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time trial bikes...

Alright I need to make a decision in the next 6 months regarding a TT bike. In the past I have used my 2100 with clip on areo bars for TTs but there are somethings I find annoying, like not being able to shift in the areo posistion.

I have been contemplating buying a TT bike but the several that I have ridden have not fit very well due to my size. Since Giant is one of our team sponsers it is probable in the future to get a lower cost CF frame from them (discounted over retail) probably later in the season. I have contemplated swaping a few parts from my current road bike (the 2100) over to a giant frame and going full TT with the 2100 since it fits so well.

I would keep the DA drivetrain, frame, wheelset (race x lite areos), seatpost. stem, etc.

I know I would have to swap the fork (to maybe a TT bontrager or easton fork) and the handlebars, shifters, brakes, etc. Is there anything else that I would have to look into to make the swap? Compared to a TT frame what kind of difference would it make? Thanks as always!
Old 02-24-05, 07:02 PM
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aren't you a Cat5? Have you even raced yet? (I thought you were still watching the past few - nothing wrong with that). I would just get used to the clip on aero bars. You don't lose a whole lot of aerodynamics by moving your hand down to shift for a second. I don't think its worth it to shell out for another frame and *ALL THOSE EXTRA PARTS*
Old 02-24-05, 08:00 PM
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
If you fit really well on the 2100 imo you should stick with it. When you are a cat 1/2 and need a few seconds over an hour than go full TT. If you have some disposable income than go for it. again imho...
Old 02-25-05, 12:17 AM
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been doing TT's for quite some time, I am just starting criteriums this year. I have actually done 4 TTs since december and done rather well. Last year I did a few informal TTs also using clip on areo bars. I have been thinking of getting a TT bike for sometime and have been looking at frames and riding them when I have a chance. The problem is that most of them do not seem to fit me well, even the 60 cm ones are just to small even in the right posistion.

My main complaint about areo bars that clip on are that sometimes when going quite fast I want to shift to a higher gear (like going downhill) or to a lower gear (slight hills) I have to get out of the areo posistion to shift. It is the actual movement that messes me up, I get comfortable on the bars then I have to move and go back... it is a vicious cycle...

Now since I am racing with an actual team, not just for crits but for TTs also (have 4 scheduled between now and Summer, maybe more) I want to have the right gear to train and race with. As some say the setup on TT bikes are so much different, as little as changing the saddle angle to the gearing, etc. I would also like to have a bike with CF handle bars and stems and clip on areobars just do not work for these circumstances.

Thanks to all for your opinions...

As to me not having done any criteriums, that is not true. I have done 4 practice crits in the past months and my first actual criterium of the season in coming up fast... oh ya, the videos will still be coming, just not of the race that I enter...

Last edited by my58vw; 02-25-05 at 02:00 AM.
Old 02-25-05, 05:17 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by my58vw
I have been doing TT's for quite some time, I am just starting criteriums this year. I have actually done 4 TTs since december and done rather well. Last year I did a few informal TTs also using clip on areo bars. I have been thinking of getting a TT bike for sometime and have been looking at frames and riding them when I have a chance. The problem is that most of them do not seem to fit me well, even the 60 cm ones are just to small even in the right posistion.

My main complaint about areo bars that clip on are that sometimes when going quite fast I want to shift to a higher gear (like going downhill) or to a lower gear (slight hills) I have to get out of the areo posistion to shift. It is the actual movement that messes me up, I get comfortable on the bars then I have to move and go back... it is a vicious cycle...

Now since I am racing with an actual team, not just for crits but for TTs also (have 4 scheduled between now and Summer, maybe more) I want to have the right gear to train and race with. As some say the setup on TT bikes are so much different, as little as changing the saddle angle to the gearing, etc. I would also like to have a bike with CF handle bars and stems and clip on areobars just do not work for these circumstances.

Thanks to all for your opinions...

As to me not having done any criteriums, that is not true. I have done 4 practice crits in the past months and my first actual criterium of the season in coming up fast... oh ya, the videos will still be coming, just not of the race that I enter...
The fit on a purpose-built TT bike is a lot different due to the difference in the geometry , but you probably already knew that. Basically road bike's designed to ride in the drops, TT bike's designed to ride in the aero tuck, further forward on the bike...different seat post angle for starters and shorter wheelbase than a road bike which makes handling a lot different.

Last edited by roadwarrior; 02-25-05 at 05:23 AM.
Old 02-25-05, 05:53 AM
On Your Right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by my58vw
I have to get out of the areo posistion to shift. It is the actual movement that messes me up, I get comfortable on the bars then I have to move and go back... it is a vicious cycle...
You just hit on a very key point, IMO. You don't need to guy buy a TT bike now, you need work on your technique. Please don't take this as a slam against your riding abilities; however, with practice you should be able to reach down and shift either of your STI shifters and reach down to retrieve and return the water bottle while remaining in an aero tuck. It is obvious from your other postings that you are very dedicated to your racing so consider this as one area in your training where you need a little work .

Although you didn't ask, here's what I would do:

- Practice doing the things I said above on your windtrainer. A great time to do these would be after a training ride. Put the bike on the trainer and do an easy spin while working on your technique. The key is being smooth in your movements. Once you feel comfortable doing them on the wind trainer do them in an empty parking lot.

- Get your position checked by someone that knows what they're doing. Personally I would go to a triathlon shop for an aero fitting, but if you have a LBS that can do a triathlon type of fitting get that done.

- Buy the best set of aero wheels you can afford. Given your current ability to motor along at 20+ mph a set of aero wheels would be a great investment.

- Practice, practice, practice. Once you get good enough you'll get picked up by a team and then they'll just give you TT bike
Old 02-25-05, 09:12 AM
Meow!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your advice, it looks like that is true. I do not claim to be perfect in my techniques, if I was I would not be in cat 5...

I will talk to my LBS about it, there are some good places for fitting in socal so we will see.

Oh ya my next inverstment will probably be some real nice carbon areo wheels... we will see.

Thanks again.