Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I want a new steel roadie frame....

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I want a new steel roadie frame....

Old 07-06-13, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenji666
Buy a used one on ebay or Craigslist
This is the correct answer. Recently picked this up on craigslist.

Old 07-06-13, 10:50 PM

Bikes: cannondale crit 3.0, specialized allez, old giant mtb/hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lucky bastard
Old 07-07-13, 12:05 AM
Creamy pack filling

Bikes: Trek 8000, Co-Motion tandem, Co-motion Espresso, Yeti Cross, 9Zero7 Fat Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Co-Motion steel tandem that rides great and looks great. So based on my tandem experience I ordered their single Espresso model and it should be in this Tuesday. But I won't have it fully built up until next spring due the funding that it will take to get it the way I want it. Frame and fork will set you back $1800ish.
Old 07-07-13, 01:11 AM

Bikes: All have flats.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by uncrx2003
This is the correct answer. Recently picked this up on craigslist.

Oh Hell Yeah.
!
Old 07-07-13, 09:52 AM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RJM
What size are you?
60cm
Old 07-07-13, 10:23 AM
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
You can get a new 'decent' steel frame in that price range, or you can get really nice used steel frame in that price range... or you can blow your budget and get in line for one of these and wonder why you ever rode carbon in the first place:

Old 07-07-13, 11:14 AM

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clausen
Go all the way Colnago Master.
I would by another one in a heart beat.
https://www.colnago.com/master/

+1 on this -- or maybe try to find a more vintage colnago, used. They always look so attractive on the road.
Old 07-07-13, 11:23 AM

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
You can get a new 'decent' steel frame in that price range, or you can get really nice used steel frame in that price range... or you can blow your budget and get in line for one of these and wonder why you ever rode carbon in the first place:

Man I want a Kirk...
Old 07-07-13, 11:27 AM

Bikes: Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer, Santa Cruz 5010

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was fortunate enough to find a great deal on a used Seven Axiom steel that is a great fit. Have barely ridden my alum sectuer with zertz fittings since and it's a fine bike as well. If going new and I had the bucks Seven would be at the top of the list, what a great ride.
Old 07-07-13, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the great virtues of steel in general is that with certain limits, it can flex without fatiguing. To me, that screams "buy used!" if/when I decide to try a steel frame.

What *I* want, is to find a cheap '83 Trek 620 to match my wife's ride.
Old 07-07-13, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Would a steel road frame suffice, or must it be a roadie frame?
Old 07-07-13, 12:22 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
should ritchey be considered?

https://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=600491
Old 07-07-13, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
Tom knows what he is doing. I think he only works on the break-away frames himself these days.

Gunnar is a little less money and I have been impressed with the one I have and would consider another if I was looking for a steel road frame.

As to buying used, I have been less than thrilled with the experience. Probably won't do that again unless some super deal falls into my lap.

Oh, a friend has a Soma Smoothie and he says it rides as nice as his Moots. Sometimes Soma has special deals on their website.
Old 07-07-13, 02:20 PM
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
I'd get a Ritchey Road Logic in a heartbeat.
Old 07-07-13, 04:42 PM
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Be wary of custom frames if buying used.
Old 07-07-13, 05:09 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Cuda...please tell me you're riding the crap out of that Kirk! Not that there's crap in it...but you know what I mean.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-07-13, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pegoretti.
Old 07-07-13, 06:52 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
I had a Gunnar Crosshairs built year before last for an adventure bike. Really like it and when I replace my carbon frame, I'd be very inclined to build a Gunnar Roadie with carbon fork and probably Ultegra DI2. That would be a nice bike and probably come in around 17lbs or so in a 56cm.

J.
Old 07-07-13, 08:50 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
gunnar is looking good at this point.

is a carbon fork the way to go??

will the gunnar accommodate 28mm tires?
Old 07-07-13, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
The Gunnar Roadie lists 25 as the max, but the Sport will take up to 32mm. You may want to call and ask though, sometimes listed specs are on the conservative side.
Old 07-08-13, 01:58 PM

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
gunnar is looking good at this point.

is a carbon fork the way to go??

will the gunnar accommodate 28mm tires?
The Gunnar sport, as previously mentioned, is a relaxed road frame whereas the Roadie is serious race geometry. The Gunnar will support some pretty wide tires and would be a great bike for wide usage. If I didn't have the Crosshairs already, then I would get the Sport as my road frame.

I would get it with the carbon fork (pick one). They will also, if asked I believe, paint the carbon fork to match the rest of the bike. The steel forks are nice, but they are heavy AND the carbon fork from what I hear, also adds to the ride.

When I ride my Crosshairs, the feeling is one of solidly bolted to the road. It's very smooth, great road feel - lively but not tiring or harsh. It's a "ride all day" sort of feel. Really like it.

And the paint jobs are gorgeous.

J.
Old 07-08-13, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
am I crazy?

what should I buy?
Not crazy. Go custom!
Old 07-08-13, 02:50 PM
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW, I have several bikes that are built using high end lugged steel frames from the '80s or early '90s with modern (well, at least 10 speeds in the rear) components & wheels. With a "vintage" frame you may have to (or want to, at least) re-space the rear dropouts to 130mm, but that's not a big deal (just be sure to check alignment afterwards....Google will explain). You could check out the retro-roadies/STI (or something like that) thread in the Classic & Vintage forum to get some ideas. With the most modern (and, yes, pricey) new steel construction you will get a bit of a lighter ultimate build and hand craftsmanship (and perhaps even custom sizing/fitting), but I have been more than adequately pleased with my carefully selected survivors in Columbus SL, SLX, etc. built up with modern pieces (in fact, I strongly prefer them to anything I could imagine ever actually purchasing...ie, not the ultra high end boutique stuff). I generally prefer the original steel forks, but you can also source a good 1" steerer (threaded or not) if you want that...they're around. Weight-wise, I don't have a steel bike for which I've tried to really be weight-conscious. I have a 1986 Bertoni Professionale built with Campagnolo Record 10 with practical Open Pro rims and a Brooks saddle that comes in a hair under 21lbs. I'm sure with other wheels/tubulars & a lighter saddle & pedals it could easily approach the weight of the bike I race with.

Of course, I don't think uber-lightweightness is one of the reasons one choses a steel bike these days. The ride is wonderful in every instance other than a sprint and I'm quite a believer that riding heavier bikes is a good thing...makes you stronger!
Old 07-08-13, 03:22 PM

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
IMO, stiffness and weight are overrated if you're just talking club riding. Vibration damping and ride quality should be a higher priority. A more comfortable, damped frame allows you to keep pounding out the miles while an ultra-stiff racer may become tiring. Frame materials are only part of the story here, carbon frames can be smooth and comfortable (Roubaix), steel frames can be stiff and lightweight (English).

My personal experience is that I vastly prefer the ride quality of my cheap-o steel framed bike to my super lightweight carbon racer, especially on the longer rides. The carbon frame is extremely light and as stiff as a bridge truss but it really beats me up on the rough roads around here. The steel frame glides along, smooth and silent. Also, it's probably not as stiff as the racing frame, but the steelie is hardly a noodle when I'm out of the saddle. Modern steel alloys are pretty good. Again, frame material is only part of the story here...

I can't fault the carbon bike, it's meant to be a no-compromise race bike. But, there's a reason why most people don't drive track cars on the road...

One note: I just bought a titanium racing geometry frame. Never ridden one before, we'll see how I like it.

Last edited by Hiro11; 07-08-13 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-08-13, 05:25 PM

Bikes: CAAD 10, Cervelo P2 SL, Focus RG-700, Quintana Roo #101

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
IMO, stiffness and weight are overrated if you're just talking club riding. Vibration damping and ride quality should be a higher priority. A more comfortable, damped frame allows you to keep pounding out the miles while an ultra-stiff racer may become tiring. Frame materials are only part of the story here, carbon frames can be smooth and comfortable (Roubaix), steel frames can be stiff and lightweight (English).

My personal experience is that I vastly prefer the ride quality of my cheap-o steel framed bike to my super lightweight carbon racer, especially on the longer rides. The carbon frame is extremely light and as stiff as a bridge truss but it really beats me up on the rough roads around here. The steel frame glides along, smooth and silent. Also, it's probably not as stiff as the racing frame, but the steelie is hardly a noodle when I'm out of the saddle. Modern steel alloys are pretty good. Again, frame material is only part of the story here...

I can't fault the carbon bike, it's meant to be a no-compromise race bike. But, there's a reason why most people don't drive track cars on the road...

One note: I just bought a titanium racing geometry frame. Never ridden one before, we'll see how I like it.
Hmmm, there also happen to be some carbon race bikes that meet all the criteria, stiff, light, smooth, and comfy.

This is coming from someone with a stable of only steel bikes. Top on my all time lists would be a Parlee Z-Zero and maybe a Cervelo RCA, but a stainless steel Firefly is hovering on a dream somewhere.

I can say that my Schwinn Tempo and my Tange road bike feel stiff and fun to ride but aren't necessarily all that comfortable. They are quite a bit porky though. I've ridden my friend's Basso, Ron Cooper, Ritchey, and they're all great fun and slightly a bit better over the rough roads. The material can vary quite drastically in how it feels, but the minimum weight mostly can't vary all that much. It just so happens that I live on hills upon hills and I'm a fat b*stard now so I need all the help I can get.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.