Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

need to get racked

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

need to get racked

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
need to get racked

Wife has a new 'bent, and has left it for me to figure out how she will carry her laptop, lunch and shoes to work with her. She has a Sun EZ sport CX. On her upright bike she used cat litter buckets hooked onto the back rack. She likes the bucket idea, I am not sure they will fit. But we will need to start with a basic rack, however she decides to carry her stuff.

Is there a good online dealer I can talk with? It looks like a regular rear rack will fit her bike, but for the part where you mount it to (the seat stay, on a regular bike).

Hints? Suggestions? A good photo perhaps? Sun has a manual for a basket, that might be a good option too, but I can not see where they actually sell such a basket.

thanks!

-Dan
Old 07-10-13, 02:14 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Call 715 341 2453. That's the Hostel Shoppe in Stephens Point, Wi. They're nice folks and know a lot about recumbents. They've got some rear racks with some different hardware for fitting bikes with real low seat stays. When I've called with a question the person on the phone didn't have the answer to, she connected me with somebody who did.
Old 07-10-13, 11:11 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by danpaddles
Wife has a new 'bent, and has left it for me to figure out how she will carry her laptop, lunch and shoes to work with her. She has a Sun EZ sport CX. On her upright bike she used cat litter buckets hooked onto the back rack. She likes the bucket idea, I am not sure they will fit. But we will need to start with a basic rack, however she decides to carry her stuff.

Is there a good online dealer I can talk with? It looks like a regular rear rack will fit her bike, but for the part where you mount it to (the seat stay, on a regular bike).

Hints? Suggestions? A good photo perhaps? Sun has a manual for a basket, that might be a good option too, but I can not see where they actually sell such a basket.

thanks!

-Dan

Many "regular" racks are adjustable to match different frame geometries. The only thing that's slightly difficult is attaching the front mounts to the seat supports on the EZ Sport. A good bike shop should have a selection of "P-clips" made for this. If that's not an option, these are also available at hardware stores- they're used to clamp electrical wires in place.

I've put racks on my bikes forever. It can take a little creativity, but it's never been that tough.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 07-12-13, 07:15 PM

Bikes: '14 Bacchetta Corsa, '93 Ryan Vanguard, Action Bent SWB USS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need a rack at all... I have been commuting on a Sun for years. Take a standard laptop back pack. Cut the straps and sew in some clips. Thread the straps through the seat back and away you go!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
backpack.jpg (41.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-13-13, 06:57 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks!

Thanks for the ideas, I think the back pack method might just be the winner for her.
Old 07-20-13, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
For my Cycle Genius, I took a messenger bag, put grommets in the strap near the bag, and use carabiner clips through the grommets and over the crossbar behind the seat.
Old 07-21-13, 06:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
She didn't think the back pack thing would work, I thought it might hit the tire. We ordered a basket! From Amazon, of all places. thanks for the ideas, guys.