Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

iPhone with GPS ios6

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-13, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iPhone with GPS ios6

I just inherited an iPhone with a GPS system in it. I have been using a older Garman e-trex but TBH, it really sucked. I would software to record as I am biking my speed and elevation so that later on I can simply touch a spot on the map and it will tell me what time it was, how fast I was going and the elevation. It would also be nice to be able to touch 2 spots on the map and have it tell me how long it took me to get from those to spots and the elevation difference between those 2 spots. If I can't get this, what's the best I can get for free? What apps do people use when using an iPhone as a GPS unit on bikes?

iPhone model #MC676LL /A
IOS V6.1.3

I also have an LG android phone, but I would have to get a new battery for it. Is there something for android 2.x that would fit the bill and run nicely on a rather slow phone?

Chris
Old 07-23-13, 05:06 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,711 Times in 1,033 Posts
Man, you can get way more than that for free! I'd suggest starting with Strava, then seeing what else the App Store shows you as similar items. I think Mapmyride, Runtastic, Ritmo, and Runkeeper also offer free basic service with additional functionality available for a fee.
Old 07-23-13, 09:15 PM
Banned

Bikes: Redline Carbon Conquest Team, Colnago X-Lite (Wrecked, Stripped, Wal-Arted), Ibis Hakkalugi (STOLEN!!!), Bianchi Imola, Bianchi San Jose, Soma DC DC

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strava is free, and although a lot of the data feels very skewed, the times and averages are very accurate (in my opinion, using an iPhone 3GS, and comparing data to a Garmin 510 and to a Magellan CrossOver.)

Another nice thing with Strava is that you get to see relative times of folks in your area that make the same rides that you do.

Like a bike itself, performance-mapping can get ridiculously expensive. I would start with what you have and doing something for free and finding out what you like, don't like, and what things you'd want that you'd be willing to pay a premium for.

I have an old Joule from CycleOps that I got on eBay that I use with an HRM and a cadence meter. Then I use Strava and sometimes Cyclemeter (which is not free, but very cheap, $5-10.) For charting my performance over time, this overall package is fine for me.

I probably wouldn't even replace the 510 if it broke. My rides are less than five hours and my 3GS iPhone can handle that with Strava or Cyclemeter. I don't need exacting altimeter data. But I know some people love the data deluge. For me, I'm just happy with PRs or 3rd bests in Strava segments and moving up to 87th out of 260.
Old 07-24-13, 11:10 AM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus Limited and 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chris, do you have any ANT+ sensors on your bike? If so, you can get a dongle to pick up the sensors and use that data in your fav bike app. There are many good one's out there but my fav are strava and cyclemeter. For interval workouts I use, iMobileInterval. Wahoo Fitness has the dongle and a case that you can use.