Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Lightning while riding

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Lightning while riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-13, 10:47 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by PlanoFuji
Look up the May day run in Fort Worth a few years back (Just one of several incidents where I am personally aware of such suits). There were a number of suits--though they were settled out of court since the organizer didn't have a leg to stand on. It is called negligence, not an act of god when a outdoor event (for which people pay a fee that they would forfeit) when the weather forecast calls for severe weather--ie the weather service has issued warnings...

Of course, I suspect you are just looking for another argument where you fail to understand the reality...
So they were settled for small amounts by the insurance just to be done with it (business cost). No leg for the plaintiffs to stand on, but they got a little money out of it once their lawyers took most of it.

Any links?
Old 07-28-13, 10:56 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I don't know if any have made it through the courts, but that's a terrible indicator. The vast bulk of these types of cases are settled before trial. Success is hard to define. If an insurer and plaintiff settle for $50k or $100k, is that success?
Any evidence that any organized rides/no mandatory helmet "caused" injury cases have been settled before, during, or after trial in the plaintiff's favor for any amount of money?
Old 07-29-13, 08:24 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
So they were settled for small amounts by the insurance just to be done with it (business cost). No leg for the plaintiffs to stand on, but they got a little money out of it once their lawyers took most of it.

Any links?
Getting settled means they lost. If the plaintiffs had no leg to stand on they would not have been awarded over $1 million for their total injuries (over 45 people were injured in one of these events) It cost the organizers (and their insurers) for what was their negligence. Not that you are likely to be able to comprehend that since you frequently claim legal expertise (though you clearly don't understand the difference between civil and criminal law). Of note that after that little mistake, the organizer was unable to get insurance for the following year, though they were able to the second year (after changing their written policy associated with weather issues)...

And what links do you expect for out of court settlements? I am only aware of these settlements because a relative works for the insurance company involved.
Old 07-29-13, 08:34 AM
Seńior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If it's a light thunderstorm, I just keep riding, the odds are very low. If it was a crazy thunderstorm like they get in Florida where there are close hits every few seconds, I guess I'd probably shelter somewhere.
Old 07-29-13, 08:53 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Any evidence that any organized rides/no mandatory helmet "caused" injury cases have been settled before, during, or after trial in the plaintiff's favor for any amount of money?
Such evidence is held closely by the insurance companies (and direct participants who are frequently subject to confidentiality agreements) that require those events to have the mandatory helmet clauses in the language in order to get insured. So unless you have access to their records (or know someone who does), you aren't likely to be able to do a google search and find it.

P.S., I am not personally aware of the helmet related cases mentioned, but I am personally aware that insurers require the clause mentioned in order to insure the events. They also seem to require the clause when providing insurance for cycling clubs host group rides as well.

It does make sense though (without regard to whether helmets actually provide any protection) since civil cases (as would arise from such accidents) are resolved by jurors who would very likely believe that those helmets might have prevented the damage associated with the accident without regard to the accuracy of that belief.
Old 07-29-13, 09:02 AM
Been Around Awhile

It does make sense though (without regard to whether helmets actually provide any protection) since civil cases (as would arise from such accidents) are resolved by jurors who would very likely believe that those helmets might have prevented the damage associated with the accident without regard to the accuracy of that belief.
Do you know of civil cases in the U.S. where the jurors resolved that the injured should receive reduced or no compensation for injuries because of a "failure" to wear a helmet in a locale where there was no legal requirement for its wear?
Old 07-29-13, 09:15 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know of civil cases in the U.S. where the jurors resolved that the injured should receive reduced or no compensation for injuries because of a "failure" to wear a helmet in a locale where there was no legal requirement for its wear?
As I mentioned in my post, I have no personal knowledge of helmet related awards (or lack thereof). I just have personal knowledge that many (if not all) insurers require language stating that helmet wearing is compulsory for participation in the events in order to get insured. The rest was speculation as to why, given the personal knowledge I do have relating to other cases where insurers have made contractual requirements (the weather issue I have already described) such clauses might have come to be required.
Old 07-29-13, 09:30 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
So far no. But then again, "contributory negligence" defenses aren't allowed in many states, so the driver's insurance company cannot raise the issue in court.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-29-13, 09:33 AM
Been Around Awhile

As I mentioned in my post, I have no personal knowledge of helmet related awards (or lack thereof). I just have personal knowledge that many (if not all) insurers require language stating that helmet wearing is compulsory for participation in the events in order to get insured. The rest was speculation as to why, given the personal knowledge I do have relating to other cases where insurers have made contractual requirements (the weather issue I have already described) such clauses might have come to be required.
That is what I thought. Stories about juries or insurance companies taking injured cyclists to task for not wearing helmets are Urban Legends/Internet fables/speculation with little or no basis in fact.
Old 07-29-13, 09:37 AM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let's get back on track to the OP's question about being protected in a thunderstorm, please.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 07-19-14, 06:23 PM

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lightning Strikes Pickup Truck Alberta Canada WATCH VIDEO | Mediaite

I revive this only to post this remarkable video. I don't suppose getting hit while riding is too likely but it would certainly make an impact.
Old 07-19-14, 07:46 PM

Bikes: Schwinn World Sport Jamis Ventura

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think where you're riding has more to do with your chance of getting hit and killed then what you're. Here in NYC for example there are plenty of tall buildings to take the strikes then there are in say rural Ohio. I'm more concerned about the amount of rain following and limited visibility then lighting here. So I might ride through it if the rain isn't too heavy. That being said if there weren't a lot of tall buildings around me and I was one of the highest things around I probably wouldn't ride.

In all likelihood the event will be canceled if lighting is forecast due to safety and liability reasons.

Originally Posted by lostarchitect
I rode over the Manhattan Bridge in a bad thunderstorm one time. It was terrifying.
I could imagine! I wonder if being on the metal bridge has any effect on your safety or not?

Last edited by walrus1; 07-19-14 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-19-14, 07:57 PM
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Regardless of what's around you or what your frame is made of, I strongly suggest taking cover if lightening is close. One billion volts of electricity isn't going to care if you're on a carbon frame or a steel one. Can't watch it at work, but a YouTube video, supposedly of a man getting hit while riding:

Man riding bike gets struck by lightning - YouTube
Old 07-19-14, 07:57 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by walrus1

I could imagine! I wonder if being on the metal bridge has any effect on your safety or not?
It would be nearly impossible to be struck by lightning while on a bridge with a steel superstructure or cable suspension system. The steel would form a Faraday Cage with you inside, and direct all electricity energy around you. That's why passengers in aircraft and autos that are struck by lightning remain unaffected.

So I guess that in an electrical storm the term (Faraday) cagers becomes more appropriate.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-19-14 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-21-14, 02:35 AM
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
It is a myth that lightening always strikes the tallest things around. Lightening hits where it hits, and whatever is between it, and where it is going will get zapped. I personally know a local Forest Ranger that has been zapped twice, both times in his truck, in the woods, with trees all around. He did not get off unscathed. He sustained several burns and injuries, both times.

If you are on a cycle and see lightening, seek cover ASAP, and not under a tree......

Originally Posted by DX-MAN
"Common wisdom" says that when you're NOT the tallest "thing" in your immediate vicinity, you're safer. Personally, I'd get under the underpass, or yeah -- in a ditch, which is a low point.