Search this Thread

Old 07-29-13, 10:47 AM

Bikes: Baum Corretto - Felt F1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Levi's Grand Fondo

Anyone else doing this ride this year? I'm curious as to how it compares to BA, Mulholland etc. There were some sections on Mulholland challenge, especially when it was thick with fog, that I was wondering if my choice to stay with the Zipp 303s on the descents was good one or not! The Levi ride looks like it has some steep downhill sgments.
Old 07-30-13, 10:01 PM

Bikes: Cervelo R5, Bacchetta Corsa

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is your concern regarding a deep profile rim getting blown around by the wind or is it regarding an all carbon wheel being compromised by excessive braking? I've done this ride a couple times and for the most part I think you would be fine with a 303 rim. On one occasion there were very strong winds blowing off the ocean which would have been sketchy with deep rims. I think the bigger issue would be the very steep descent on King Ridge Road after the lunch stop. There was some much publicized debate concerning the use of all carbon wheels after some incidents with wheel failure on that part of the course. Personally I would not ride an all carbon wheel on this ride but if you're on Zipps I think you would be OK.
Old 08-12-13, 11:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In previous years (I rode 2010-12), they have explicitly banned deep carbon rims, but since all the pros were riding on them, I think they have backed off on this. The King Ridge descent is very steep (18%+) and has a number of very difficult corners, and there can be weather up there that leads to wet conditions (lots of crashes in 2011).
Old 08-13-13, 07:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks - I'll think about swapping out the 303s for the originals. Although I have had no real issues with the Zipps so far and I doubt I will be doing a high speed descent with heavy braking.
Old 08-14-13, 04:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimxyz
Thanks - I'll think about swapping out the 303s for the originals. Although I have had no real issues with the Zipps so far and I doubt I will be doing a high speed descent with heavy braking.
BTW, I just checked and it looks like the ban was specifically on Carbon Clinchers, which is probably why the pros still use carbon on the ride--they all ride tubies.
Old 09-30-13, 04:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know what rides in SoCal would be comparable to the climbng on the 100 mile option at the LGF? It looks like it has some steep sections, similar to Malibu/SM areas, but not Decker type steep - at least on the ascent in Santa Rosa. My training rides kind of slacked off last few weeks and I was thinking of droping to the 65 mile option so I dont find myself walking up King Ridge Road...
Old 09-30-13, 04:23 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
FWIW Zipp has never had a firecrest rim melt down. The plastic rim tape melts(which would cause the tube to pop) well before the sidewalls of the rim get soft. Dunno how cloth tape or veloplugs alters that. I'd think those wheels will be fine.
Old 09-30-13, 08:39 PM

Bikes: Cervelo R5, Bacchetta Corsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimxyz
Does anyone know what rides in SoCal would be comparable to the climbng on the 100 mile option at the LGF? It looks like it has some steep sections, similar to Malibu/SM areas, but not Decker type steep - at least on the ascent in Santa Rosa. My training rides kind of slacked off last few weeks and I was thinking of droping to the 65 mile option so I dont find myself walking up King Ridge Road...
The steepest climb on the ride is Coleman Valley Rd which you would still face if you downgraded to the 65 mile ride. This climb is at least as steep as Deer Creek or Decker ascent from PCH. There are always lots of people walking their bike are this one. If you are already signed up for the 100 route I say do the whole course. Its an epic ride - the rewards of climbing King Ridge are worth it. You'll not regret it. Just take it easy on the steep descents. The vistas coming off of King Ridge overlooking the Pacific are grand.

Ed
Old 09-30-13, 08:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Ed - appreciate the info. Now I'm dreading that climb up from pch! haha
Old 10-06-13, 05:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great ride yesterday - the best organized and supported ride I have ever seen (roads blocked by CHP, constant flow of SAG cars and SRAM support vehicles everywhere and ride marshals - which I have never seen before). Climbs that reminded me of the Santa Monica mountains - with two descents that were insanely steep. I saw three carbon clinchers blow out - the ZIPP loaner wheels were in high demand. My 303s did not melt, but I was pretty sure they were going to. Next year I am either going with disc or non-carbon wheels. Highly recommended!