Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

lowracers on hills

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

lowracers on hills

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-05, 10:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lowracers on hills

I hear alot about the advantages of SWB bents on hills in comparison to LWB, but nothing on the climbing abilities of lowriders. How do they do on climbs in comparison? I've just started riding an Action Bent Road Runner and have very little experience on anything else. Anyone out there able to compare your average SWB with a lowrider as far as climbing abilities?
Old 02-27-05, 11:23 PM

Bikes: Radius Marco Polo and Challenge Fujin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pwerff
I hear alot about the advantages of SWB bents on hills in comparison to LWB, but nothing on the climbing abilities of lowriders. How do they do on climbs in comparison? I've just started riding an Action Bent Road Runner and have very little experience on anything else. Anyone out there able to compare your average SWB with a lowrider as far as climbing abilities?
I have a Radius Marco Polo and a Challenge Fujin. The Marco Polo is comparable with your Action Bent and the Fujin is a lowracer. I can tell you that although the Fujin is outfitted with Ultegra and Shimano 105 gears it is a better climber than the Marco Polo that is much slower uphill. On the other hand if I want to make a long trip I prefer the Marco owing to its better loading capacity and lower gears.
Old 02-28-05, 06:32 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Erik mirrors my experience. A lowracer is probably close enough in climbing ability to a 'standard' SWB that conditioning is the deciding factor. I used to say my V-Rex climbed a little better, but now I'm not sure. The Baron did a respectable job (almost) keeping up with the DFs on 20% grades, and I'm positive that I couldn't have done any better on my V-Rex. A lighter bike would have helped, but that's another story...

One thing to add - on short climbs, it goes without saying that the lowracer hits the bottom of the hill at a higher speed, which will carry up the hill further. Slingshotting over the top is definitely fun!
Old 02-28-05, 05:49 PM
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats right, John and I were both climbing very well at the Hilly hundred. To be honest, there wasn't a DF that could keep up with us on the entire 50mile course. At least none that I could see. I even had a razz fazz tailbox on my lowracer and was still climbing at the speeds of the DF's. There were a few real strong climbers on DF's that did pass me on the mile long grades and a couple of the 20%, but not enough that I didn't smoke them on the way back down and just kept going.
Old 03-03-05, 12:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. Alot of variables, but that satisfies my curiosity. I live in hilly country and am still adjusting coming from an old Mtn bike. I'm finding the bent slow on the climb, but not tiring. Looking forward to trying a lowrider as well when the occasion arises.
Old 03-08-05, 11:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, not quite sure which bike you are referring to on the long climbs, and I certainly want to know?
Thanks
Old 03-09-05, 11:15 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Originally Posted by rlong
Sorry, not quite sure which bike you are referring to on the long climbs, and I certainly want to know?
The lowracers? Mine is an Optima Baron. Its seat is 13 inches off the ground and is reclined 25 degrees from horizontal. Compared to an upright it's heavy - 27 pounds - but that's still lighter than average for a recumbent. Gearing is 30/44/58 and 12-27, which allows me a comfortable cadence at 27 mph, with 2 gears left for sprints. Lowracer's VK2 was closer to 20-22 pounds, although he's got 'upgrade fever' and will be replacing it this year.
Old 03-09-05, 12:58 PM
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may be putting it up for sale here if anyone is interested.
Old 03-09-05, 02:17 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by lowracer1
I may be putting it up for sale here if anyone is interested.
How small down does it go? I'm a 40" X-Seam. I barely fit a Baron.

-Dennis

Old 03-09-05, 05:10 PM
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
good question, I'm not sure how small it will go. I'd have to check it out and get back with you on that. I'm guessing though that it would be close.
Old 03-09-05, 10:52 PM
horizontally adapted

Bikes: Specialized Stumpie, Bianchi Pista, Optima Baron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might sell the VK2? What's up with that? I thought the VK2 was your A-list ride and the Baron was demoted to being the trainer. Don's x-low got you drooling? Moving up to a NoCom?
Old 03-10-05, 07:26 AM
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nope, getting another vk-2 with a slightly different setup, some disc brake options and some other new gadgets.
Old 03-10-05, 11:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VK2? Come on guys. You're killing me with the code! Is that a Velotechnik, or what? I'm holding pictures of HP V Speedmachine, Optima Baron, and Fujin sl. The Challange SL bikes are pretty pricy by comparison. Like $1000.00 more for std setup. I havn't had much luck finding anything used in this catagory, but I'm probably not looking in the right places. Any suggestions?
Old 03-11-05, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by rlong
VK2? Come on guys. You're killing me with the code! Is that a Velotechnik, or what? I'm holding pictures of HP V Speedmachine, Optima Baron, and Fujin sl. The Challange SL bikes are pretty pricy by comparison. Like $1000.00 more for std setup. I havn't had much luck finding anything used in this catagory, but I'm probably not looking in the right places. Any suggestions?
VK stands for VeloKraft. Velokrafts come in three flavors, the original VK1 (out of production,) the VK2, and the NoCom. I don't think you'll find any used Challenge SL bikes; they're too new. Where to look? I'd put a WTB (want to buy) post in the BentRiderOnline classified board, and maybe subscribe to the IHPVA for-sale list for starters. You can also join the BaronOwners group at Yahoo Groups. Lowracers are a small part of the bent market, but you can sometimes get lucky and find an owner who couldn't adapt to the reclined riding position.
Old 03-11-05, 11:25 AM
lowracer ninja master

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm selling my vk2 pictured here. I haven't figured out a price yet however. New from bentup cycles is around $3600, but I will sell well under that .

I'm getting another vk2 made up with some different options, so that is one reason I'm selling it.https://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForum...o&PhotoID=6996

I will probably sell the bike as a frameset and let whoever wants it to build it up how they would prefer. It would end up being a lot less expensive that way. It would include the campagnolo headset, offset fork and adjustable boom and tiller.
Old 03-12-05, 11:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
VK stands for VeloKraft. Velokrafts come in three flavors, the original VK1 (out of production,) the VK2, and the NoCom. I don't think you'll find any used Challenge SL bikes; they're too new. Where to look? I'd put a WTB (want to buy) post in the BentRiderOnline classified board, and maybe subscribe to the IHPVA for-sale list for starters. You can also join the BaronOwners group at Yahoo Groups. Lowracers are a small part of the bent market, but you can sometimes get lucky and find an owner who couldn't adapt to the reclined riding position.
Thanks, I'll do that.
Old 03-15-05, 08:59 PM
No virtual racing here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can't climb a hill get off and walk. Heck walking is exercise.

When I have a long climb too steep for my bent I walk it up and eat a PBJ on the way. Who cares if someone has to struggle up a road. Who needs it.

I just sit back and laugh when I get to the top after a good recumbent hill walk.

Spuds
Old 03-15-05, 11:46 PM
horizontally adapted

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spud, Spud, Spud!

Sure walking is exercise - leave your bent at home when you do it though, will ya? Walking your bent up only reinforces the "stigma" (from another post you also replied to) many other cyclists - not just the spandex roadies - have of us bent riders. Struggle is also known as exertion - you have to exert effort to climb by bike or bent- there's no way around it. If you plan on bailing out, though - do it riding a regular bike, please.
Old 03-16-05, 12:12 AM
No virtual racing here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one cares about how fast someone rides a recumbent up a hill. I ride or walk my recumbent. Works fine and I get exercise. I will not burden taxpayers with health problems of an obese lifestyle because I exercise, ride a recumbent and walk up hills.

Struggle all you want up a hill on a recumbent. No prize money at the top, no newspaper reporters waiting to tell your hill climb story and no TV crew waiting to interview you. All the spandex riders you want to pass do not care about recumbents. They ride regular bikes.

No stigma to break when I ride. I ride for the enjoyment.

Spuds
Old 03-17-05, 12:58 AM
horizontally adapted

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spuds McDoogle
No one cares about how fast someone rides a recumbent up a hill... I ride for the enjoyment.

Spuds
So do I. But I don't see the point in bragging about how slow and cheap you are. You know, cutting back on the number of flowers you smell might help your problem.
Old 03-18-05, 12:14 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero and a Giro dual 26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gee John,

A recumbent keeping up with a DF on 20% grades? Sounds outlandish to me slezzypedals.
But hey you say so.
Great forum and gobs of great info.

MG
Old 03-18-05, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Magilla Gorilla
Gee John,

A recumbent keeping up with a DF on 20% grades? Sounds outlandish to me slezzypedals.
But hey you say so.
Great forum and gobs of great info.

MG
This is obviously another of Spuds' alter-egos I mentioned before. This identity is an obvious reference to Monkey Island, which is famous for Bad Internet Behavior. Deliberately corrupting my handle and mis-quoting me is only the start. I wrote, "(almost) keeping up with the DFs," which isn't quite the same as actually keeping up with them.

I'm adding him to my ignore list, too. It's only a matter of time before his behavior forces the Forum Gods to block his IP address, just like BROL and Cycling Forums have already done.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 03-18-05 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-18-05, 10:20 AM
No virtual racing here

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
This is obviously another of Spuds' alter-egos I mentioned before. This identity is an obvious reference to Monkey Island, which is famous for Bad Internet Behavior. Deliberately corrupting my handle and mis-quoting me is only the start. I wrote (almost) keeping up with DFs, which isn't quite the same as actually keeping up with them.

I'm adding him to my ignore list, too. It's only a matter of time before his behavior forces the Forum Gods to block his IP address, just like BROL and Cycling Forums have already done.
I am appalled that some uppity youngster insists that I Spuds McDoogle have ever used profanity, no no words or name calling of any kind at bikeforums.net. Please show me a direct quote of something like that and I will apologize.

When I reply at the road cycling forum no one gets mad or calls me names like here in the recumbent forum.

I have learned a lot since joining bikeforums.net. There are only 4 or so HPV racing fellows. Johnny Schlitter, Jim Kern, Sam Whittingham and Fred Markam. Those fine fellows show up to race fellow recumbent riders at Human Power Vehicle races. They never brag about "smoking" people like some of the snotty folks that ride recumbents and tell make believe stories. Some of those youngster are all big talk and hot air who never show up to any of those recumbent races.

I am just a harmless old man who builds my own recumbents from throw away bikes. I like coroplast and duct tape and use it on my homebuilts. I can admit that I walk up hills with a smile and I smell the roses along the way.

Smile and wave hi when you see me walking my recumbent up a hill

Spuds
Old 03-18-05, 03:44 PM
horizontally adapted

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spuds McDoogle
...brag about "smoking" people like some of the snotty folks that ride recumbents and tell make believe stories...

I am just a harmless old man...I walk up hills with a smile and I smell the roses along the way.

Spuds
So how is it you know what is "make believe" or not? Some here seem to think you are "make believe". Why is it you brag so much about being cheap and slow? Are these attributes?

My apologies to pwerff and others here for drifting away from the subject of inquiry but it appears perff acknowledged satisfaction with responses a long time ago. Spuds carrying on completely off subject only tags him as a troll. He adds nothing to this discussion.
Old 03-19-05, 02:23 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta Aero and a Giro dual 26

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Relax John,

No one is out to get you! I would sugest that you buy a slower bike to match your abilities like I am doing and start touring or some other activity on a bicycle.
I think spuds has it about right. To beat up on a poor DF rider with your faster lowracer is well, not very fair IMO. So why don't you show up at the recumbent race nearest you and toast some fellow 'bent riders with your Baron. Hey, were trying to build a race culture but none of you show for the races. I am sure Sean could use your entry fees to build an even better event for next season and the season after. It takes money you know. So why don't you show up?
Well spuds I have my slow bike ordered and will go off touring on it. Not as good as your homebuilt since I can't turn a wrench like you can or use a welding torch.

MG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.