Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tune Up or Overhaul?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tune Up or Overhaul?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-02, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tune Up or Overhaul?

What is the difference between a tune up and an overhaul?

Seems like a very basic question, but there are so many "shop standards" and prices that it's difficult to get a clear answer.

One shop around here charges about $20. claims they'll replace the cables, true the wheels and adjust the bearings. (No mention of greasing or oiling.)

Another shop charges about $18. to clean the chain, lube the bearings and adjust everything.

A third shop charges a flat rate of $25. "Plus any parts that are needed." They completely disassemble the bike --BB,HS, Hubs, remove Derailleurs-- clean everything, reassemble and adjust it all. (Wheel truing is extra)

All three shops call this a "Tune Up"

So the question: What is a tune up and what is an overhaul? And what's a fair price?
Old 05-19-02, 08:13 AM
riding a Pinarello Prince

Bikes: Pinarello, Prince and an FP5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tune up is when they adjust your derialleur and brake and head set I think Over haul is when they take out the bottom bracket, the front and rear hiubs and the head set and grease it, break the chain and clean it and lube it, True the wheels, I think the price of $20.00, plus a $5.00 tip is reasonable if they do all of the above, but if they just adjust your brake cable and your derailluer, $5.00 is good enough, plus a $2.00 tip but how will you know if they overhaul your rig, These people will ask you to leave you bike, and come back Tomorrow, and if you can wait you cannot see what they are doing becasue they are at the back room and customers are not allowed in the back room . Yo Know back in the Old country the bike mechanics do the repair outside or customer can see what they are doing, This is the way I was able to learn how to fix my bike
Old 05-19-02, 11:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's interesting that you mention a "tip" for the mechanic. I seriously doubt anyone in the US tips a Wrench --but I may be wrong.
Old 05-19-02, 12:03 PM
riding a Pinarello Prince

Bikes: Pinarello, Prince and an FP5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by ljbike
It's interesting that you mention a "tip" for the mechanic. I seriously doubt anyone in the US tips a Wrench --but I may be wrong.
this way when the Wrench see your bike, he drops everything he is doing and will attend to your bike right away, this is the way to go infront of the line, well I should mention it also when your giving a tip do it discretely, some bike shop owner doesn't like it and everobody is happy