Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which of the well known bike lubes are the least unpleasant, smell-wise?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-03-13, 07:24 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Among the popular bike lubes, which ones have less odor and are the least unpleasant? I've read reviews that say ProLink, Dumonde have strong awful smells. What about Pedro's GO! lube? And other good quality lubes? (Comparisons to Finishline Wet Chain lube and Tri-Flow will be helpful to me as I've used them.)
Old 08-03-13, 07:55 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I've been using Rock 'n' Roll Gold and haven't noticed any smell. But with that said, I lube outside, keep the bikes in the garage, and don't have a particularly keen sense of smell.
Old 08-03-13, 07:57 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Hmm, I have always thought Pro-link was fairly pleasant smelling. It isn't particularly strong.
Old 08-03-13, 08:04 PM

Bikes: 2013 Giant Roam XR1

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used Finish Line Dry Teflon and didn't smell anything.
Old 08-03-13, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really thought this was going to be about chamois cream
Old 08-03-13, 09:48 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
We're talking chain lube? If so, Rock n Roll Gold. OTOH, who cares what it smells like?
Old 08-03-13, 09:59 PM
vol

Well I care. I have to keep the bike inside an apartment and I do everything inside (still looking for a good bike stand). On top of that, I have a keen sense of smell. Thanks for the informative replies.
Old 08-03-13, 10:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like the smell of bike lube, go finish line teflon!
Old 08-03-13, 10:58 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
"Smelling pretty" is at the bottom of my list of priorities when it comes to bike/car lubes. I use chainsaw oil (soon to be switching to Chain-L) on the bikes, Rotella 15W40 in the cars.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-03-13, 11:02 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
We use the hot wax (parafin ) method.
NO smell. You will never get a chain tattoo either.
Old 08-03-13, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3355 Post(s)
Liked 5,432 Times in 2,811 Posts
"Smell that? You smell that? Chain lube, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of chain lube in the morning."
Old 08-03-13, 11:15 PM
vol

How about mixing your morning coffee with some chain lube?

Last edited by vol; 08-03-13 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-04-13, 09:08 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Among the popular bike lubes, which ones have less odor and are the least unpleasant? I've read reviews that say ProLink, Dumonde have strong awful smells. What about Pedro's GO! lube? And other good quality lubes? (Comparisons to Finishline Wet Chain lube and Tri-Flow will be helpful to me as I've used them.)
Pedro's Go! and Pedro's Chain-j both smell of castor oil. The Pedro's SYN LUBE has a completely different odor - very light, and the Pedro's ICE WAX has a very similar, but stronger smell.

I personally don't find the Finish Line WET lube offensive, but if you're looking for a wet lube with less odor - Finish Line CERAMIC WET also has a very light odor.

You would probably hate BIONETXC lubes, as well as CHAIN-L, even though some of those addatives that make them smell strongly also make them more effective lubricants.

Purple Extreme is a synthetic and doesn't smell like oil, but the odor level will still be on a par with Finish Line Wet.

Dry lubes in general are almost oderless once set up after 24 hours, but since the carrier has to evaporate in the meantime - the smell can be worse indoors. White Lightning products are all low odor, but most of their products require very frequent applications and wiping down afterwards - which IMO requires more effort than most other lubes. They also make a wet lube WET RIDE, which would offer no advantages over the FinishLine you've already used.

Maybe an alternative might be to try a different strategy: Lube and wipe down the bike outside in a park someplace. That'll result in as little odor in the apartment as possible.
Old 08-04-13, 09:35 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
KY ?

Some guys prefer the smell of Diesel , to overdoing a strong perfume.. just sayin'

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-05-13 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-04-13, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
Must be a slow news day...
sheesh...
What lube smells better? wait a minute...hey honey what lube smells better? Troj...what??? I don't have no Troj...oh never mind hehehe...
Old 08-04-13, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I love the smell of napalm (and Chain-L) in the morning.
Old 08-04-13, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
The only lubes I have used are: Triflow - no detectable smell on ordinary riding or in the garage Chain-L No.5 - strong auto engine oil smell, but pleasant. Can smell it when standing a few feet from bike while in garage. Boeshield - no detectable smell in garage or while riding, or standing near bike.
Old 08-04-13, 02:02 PM
vol

Originally Posted by Burton
Pedro's Go! and Pedro's Chain-j both smell of castor oil. The Pedro's SYN LUBE has a completely different odor - very light, and the Pedro's ICE WAX has a very similar, but stronger smell.

I personally don't find the Finish Line WET lube offensive, but if you're looking for a wet lube with less odor - Finish Line CERAMIC WET also has a very light odor.

You would probably hate BIONETXC lubes, as well as CHAIN-L, even though some of those addatives that make them smell strongly also make them more effective lubricants.

Purple Extreme is a synthetic and doesn't smell like oil, but the odor level will still be on a par with Finish Line Wet.

Dry lubes in general are almost oderless once set up after 24 hours, but since the carrier has to evaporate in the meantime - the smell can be worse indoors. White Lightning products are all low odor, but most of their products require very frequent applications and wiping down afterwards - which IMO requires more effort than most other lubes. They also make a wet lube WET RIDE, which would offer no advantages over the FinishLine you've already used.

Maybe an alternative might be to try a different strategy: Lube and wipe down the bike outside in a park someplace. That'll result in as little odor in the apartment as possible.
Thank you so much, Burton. That's a great suggestion to clean and lube the bike in a park. I don't know why I have never given it a thought. I always associate with doing the cleaning "outside" with right outside the apartment building. Next time I'll remember bringing the tools with me when out on a ride!

Actually anything no more smelly than Finishline Wet Lube and Tri-Flow are fine for me. (Since I always used these two at the same time, I'm not sure which one gives stronger smell.)

By the way how do you like the function of "Pedro's GO!" lube? Comparing to Finishline Cross Country Wet Chain Lube?
Old 08-04-13, 03:57 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vol

By the way how do you like the function of "Pedro's GO!" lube? Comparing to Finishline Cross Country Wet Chain Lube?
Hi Vol - I'd say they're pretty equivalent. Both biodegradable - which means you can't expect to lube a chain once and forget it. Both intended for hard 150km plus rides in harsh conditions. Both need to have the excess wiped off the chain to avoid attracting road build-up on the chain and jockey wheels.

We're using Finish Line Wet and Dry in the shop largely because they're some of the few high end lubes that are available in shop-sized quantities so I obviously like what you're already using.

Personally I'm currently doing a season on Purple Extreme because it's extremely low viscosity makes it easy to apply in warm or cold weather. And it handles rain pretty well. There are about 20 applications in a bottle which works out to about $1.25 per lube.

Have to point out that I lube about every 150kms though - more often if there's lots of rain involved. That means at least twice a week. Much heavier viscosity oils like SAE 90 hypoid gear oils do last longer in the rain, but not significantly enough to make up for the extra dirt they attract. An issue since I'm running alloy chainrings -and not steel ones.

Both that Finish Line Wet and Trifloware good products. No reason to look around unless its just curiosity.
Old 08-04-13, 04:18 PM
vol

Burton, thanks. I like the Tri-Flow straw . I hope Finishline improves the nozzle, making it longer and more tipped. I'd like to try Pedro's Oranj Peelz Citrus degreaser, which is supposed to smell like orange .
Old 08-04-13, 05:46 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rdtompki
OTOH, who cares what it smells like?
Really, this is too funny! I ride my bike, I don't sit around and sniff the chain.
Old 08-04-13, 06:44 PM

Bikes: 1992 Trek 800 Antelope, 1971 Triumph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you use a lube enough then you can't really smell it. You get used to iit and don't even notice it. I agre with Mr. Beanz; you should be riding your bike, not sniffing the chain or hubs.
Old 08-04-13, 09:46 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Really, this is too funny! I ride my bike, I don't sit around and sniff the chain.
I happen to like cats - other people are allergic to them. We're all a little different - might as well get used to it.
Old 08-04-13, 11:10 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
I happen to like cats - other people are allergic to them. We're all a little different - might as well get used to it.
Well I have no objections if you would like to sniff my chain too. Have at it!

But OK Mr Life's Lessons () Knowing that we are all different means asking a forum consisting of thousands of poster which is most unpleasant makes this topic even that much more silly doesn't it?

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 08-04-13 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-05-13, 12:14 AM
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Well I have no objections if you would like to sniff my chain too. Have at it!

But OK Mr Life's Lessons () Knowing that we are all different means asking a forum consisting of thousands of poster which is most unpleasant makes this topic even that much more silly doesn't it?
What's really silly is you being unable to simply skip this thread if you have nothing constructive to add to it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.