Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

DFW Tour de Cure

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-13, 07:38 PM

Bikes: Fuji Robaix, Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DFW Tour de Cure

Rode the DFW Tour de Cure today. This was may second year to ride it. Last year was not enjoyable. The charity rides always say it's not a race. This year, I slowed way down and instead of riding the 60 mile route, trying to go at it hard, I chose the 32. I had a blast! This was my 5th charity ride this year and maybe my favorite. The route was good. Very little wind. It is always hot in N. Texas this time of the year...no big deal, just had to plan for it. It was nice to enjoy the scenery instead of pushing for a faster pace.

My daily ride is always alone so these rides are fun for me and I use them a motivational goals. I meet the most interesting people and usually see some of the same ones at each ride. This one has no major hills, just gentle rollers. The first couple of miles were a lap inside the Texas Motor Speedway. Dang that place is big inside! The finish line was lined with kids armed with super soakers. They even asked before they blasted you.

It was a great day for a bike ride (aren't they all?) and a great bike ride. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by CandSAdventures; 08-03-13 at 07:39 PM. Reason: won't let me edit the title....now we spell cure w/ two "r's"...
Old 08-03-13, 10:07 PM
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I rode the Tour de Cure two years ago, I think. Not a race, but I just went ahead and rode through it as fast as I could anyway (and had very few people ahead of me). But all in all, I think I prefer the ones where you just pay your money and do the ride.
Old 08-03-13, 11:16 PM
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
kewl... I'm thinking about running the houston TDC next month... I did the 100k in Pensacola, FL a few years ago... was a great ride... did it on my MTB with skinny tires and alt bars, rode with a few guys from my old MTB club back in FL (PORC pensacola off road riders club)... I was the slow one of the group (other guys ride road frequently and are much faster riders)... thankfully they held back and stuck with me for all but the last few miles of the ride when I had my 3rd spoke snap on my rear wheel so I had ot go real slow... having never ridden with a group I was amazed at how much ridding in a line.

anyway I can't see riding this ride as a race... but I did know a few guys who rode the the 25 miles down to the start, finished quickly on the 100k and rode home...
Old 08-03-13, 11:59 PM
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
PhotoJoe, EjaBottechia, BeachGrad05 and I rode the TdC century in Long Beach this year and I think we all had a good time. Rides in the company of friends are always more fun, and even if you ride solo at an organized ride you can usually find somebody to ride "with"
Old 08-04-13, 07:15 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 700C, Rans Seavo tandem, Giant OCR-2 & a Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C&S,

Thank you for being out there for the Tour D' Cure! It was also my second year out there for the 62 mile ride with Team Red, (am a Type II diabetic).

I had a blast out there, well organized, well supported and a really fun course, (especially the 2nd half).

Last year I'd taken my time and enjoyed the scenery and company. This year I wanted to push to see what I could do. I was pretty happy with an 18.5 avg for the ride. And yep, those kids at the end with the supersoakers were greatly appreciated.

Semper Fi