Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Baggy shorts question for Athenas

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 08-04-13, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm asking this question for my wife. She's trying to get back to her old college weight and wants to wear baggy shorts while cycling. She wants something that comes down past the knees. She likes my Endura Humvee 3/4 shorts but they don't make anything larger than a size Large in women's and she says she'd take at least a 2XL. Any suggestions on brands for 2XL women's 3/4 length baggy shorts to wear over lycra cycling shorts?
Old 08-04-13, 11:25 PM
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
You might go on Facebook and locate The Unlikely Cyclist which is a women's cycling shop. It is owned by Lisa (Vntgdrms here on Bike Forums) and she is super knowledgeable. Her shop carries Athena sizes too. Contact her thru Facebook.
Old 08-04-13, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not an answer to your question.

I guess that she is self conscious about her weight and how she looks but she would be much more comfortable in just some good lycra bibs.

If you can, give her the confidence to not go the baggy route. Baggy clothes can get caught on the seat and cause problems.

I dress like a clown (in my casual street wear not bike clothes) and I see people laughing and pointing but that just makes my day that I have given someone something to chuckle about. When I first started wearing lycra, I was wondering what kind of reactions that I might get. Well after 7 years of lycra all I have gotten are positive and encouraging comments.

Have her look at the embarrassed rider sticky and keep gently nudging her to just wear the lycra. She will be sitting a great example for many others.
Old 08-05-13, 12:53 AM

Bikes: Electra Townie 7D

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have some of these shorts and they are long: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-No...horts/22227099

These come in a 2x and have the liner built in: https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400081__400081 They're not going to be past the knees though.

The only time I've ever fallen off my bike (so far) is when my baggy shorts got tangled up with the seat. My daughter likes to ride with the padded shorts, and she has a pair that has a skirt made over it. It's really cute but she has trouble with the skirt getting caught up in the wheel.
Old 08-05-13, 07:56 AM

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wear some of the aerotech top shelf bike shorts under a pair of 3x Under Armour gym shorts. The gym shorts are a lyrca material and super light, plenty baggy for me not to feel weird walking around in underwear. Works well, ime.

Last edited by Jarrett2; 08-05-13 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 08:18 AM

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
A skirt over skin-tight knickers is another option -- doesn't have to be a single garment made as a set, can be two separate garments. And a skirt, as long as it's not too long, won't get caught or bunch anywhere, because it just hangs around the butt-saddle interface rather than getting in there.

But if what she wants are non-form-fitting knickers, one place to start is teamestrogen.com -- a minute or two of clicking brought me to
https://www.teamestrogen.com/prodSB_3102P.html
which goes up to a cycling size 3X (if she's a 2X in department stores, that may not be high enough, but if she's already converted regular sizes to athletic-gear ones it should be). That's
Old 08-05-13, 09:16 AM
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Terry, Shebeest, Mt. Borah all make plus size mountain bike shorts for women...however... I never like the chamois in those shorts (or any MTB shorts) so what I have started to do is look for "runner's" shorts with a small amount of lycra or other stretchy material, which is likeweight and wicking and I pull those over a good pair of cycling shorts (I prefer Terry or Shebeest). I generally have good luck with REI finding a short to pull over my shorts but have also found good runner/exercise shorts at Target and JC Penny. Just need to look around. If she need protection pass her knees, she can wear a knicker under the shorts.

Another option - Terry makes a plus size "liberty short". It's made for commuting but its a long, lycra short with attached chamois that actually looks like a bermuda short. I wouldn't wear them for a really long ride (over 30 miles) but they are great for shorter rides.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 08-05-13 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-05-13, 09:49 AM
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will echo... if you can get her into some bibs and just ware something over them... I did it for years untill one day I went out in the near 100* FL heat (prob was 100+ heat index) and I just decided I didn't give a crap and tossed my overshorts back into the house...
Old 08-05-13, 09:55 AM
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kiltedcelt
I'm asking this question for my wife. She's trying to get back to her old college weight and wants to wear baggy shorts while cycling. She wants something that comes down past the knees. She likes my Endura Humvee 3/4 shorts but they don't make anything larger than a size Large in women's and she says she'd take at least a 2XL. Any suggestions on brands for 2XL women's 3/4 length baggy shorts to wear over lycra cycling shorts?
Swing by www.groundeffect.co.nz and see if you like what they've got on offer.

I've got a few of their tops, my wife has a few of their tops, and a (male) friend wears their baggies over cycling shorts. Both he and his wife use Ground Effect tops.
Old 08-05-13, 10:01 AM
just pedal

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, trek 560

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh yes people are talking about tops...

i'm nearing my mid 30's and just last year finally splurged for even a sports shirt top (I really need to get a proper jersy so I can have the pockets at some point)... I'd always just worn a cotton T-shirt... what a waste of years in a soaked heavy tshirt... I had no idea how nice it was to use a good wicking tshirt... so definately spend the extra for a good shirt ... mine was under $20 at a local sports store and I can't ever see going back to cotton... but I also sweet A LOT
Old 08-05-13, 10:06 AM
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
My wife felt the same way. Baggy shorts were the only option for her. Over time, she warmed to the idea of lycra. Have to say, she'll never go back now. I second the suggestion to contact Unlikely Cyclist.

https://www.facebook.com/TheUnlikelyCyclist

Lisa is very knowledgeable and helped me buy my wife a pair of knickers based of a description. They turned out to be a PERFECT fit and PhotoJoanne LOVES them. She actually likes them so much we just went and bought the shorts version of the same shorts. I don't know the model name (T-plus???) but they're more of a "clothy" feel than shiny lycra and she says they are super comfortable.

https://www.terrybicycles.com/Plus/Plus-Bottoms

If your wife isn't comfortable wearing just the shorts, pull some baggies over them. The shorts/knickers will still do their job.
Old 08-05-13, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With her it's mostly a self-image thing. She had been wearing lycra shorts when we'd ride in the past but now she wants something that will cover her knees. I think her best option will probably be padded knickers with baggies over those. I understand what some folks say about baggies getting caught and such, but honestly I don't see it. I've been wearing baggies for two years now and I commute over 120+ miles per week and I've ridden multiple century rides wearing baggies over separate padded cycling shorts. I think if you get a good quality pair of baggy shorts that aren't ridiculously too large for you then you won't have them catching on the seat. To each his own.
Old 08-05-13, 11:32 AM

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Ya know my 60+ wife and her high school girl friend got together for thier birthdays and I rally stuck my foot in my mouth when I told them they should get into some short shorts so we could relive the thrill of catching a look at their cheeks...

Oh well...

I routenly wear running shorts over my spandex ridding shorts - They don't have to be baggy - They also have pockets for my phone and wallet - I like the microfiber Walmart cheap ones so I can just throw them away when the crotch gets torn out...
Old 08-05-13, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Target.com usually has lots of plus sized activewear. Here are some capris:

https://www.target.com/p/merona-women...lot=medium_1_5
Old 08-05-13, 07:33 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Judi

These come in a 2x and have the liner built in: https://www.performancebike.com/bikes...400081__400081 They're not going to be past the knees though.

I have these shorts. I really like them, they are flattering and nice and stretchy. The liner comes out so it is easy to wash the liner separate from the shorts. I like the shorts so much I just wear them around as regular shorts.
Old 08-05-13, 07:35 PM

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kiltedcelt
With her it's mostly a self-image thing. She had been wearing lycra shorts when we'd ride in the past but now she wants something that will cover her knees. I think her best option will probably be padded knickers with baggies over those. I understand what some folks say about baggies getting caught and such, but honestly I don't see it. I've been wearing baggies for two years now and I commute over 120+ miles per week and I've ridden multiple century rides wearing baggies over separate padded cycling shorts. I think if you get a good quality pair of baggy shorts that aren't ridiculously too large for you then you won't have them catching on the seat. To each his own.
Maybe it is the geometry of my bike (it has a very short top tube), but I have had far too many incidents of getting shorts caught up in the seat. It even happens to me with lycra shorts if the rear end isn't good at tight.
Old 08-06-13, 06:59 PM
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Hmmm for the last may years or so my cycling gear has consisted of cotton shorts/tshirt and running shorts. I have done centuries, long rides, hot rides all in this same get up. Colder days I layer up w/ thermal under wear and a jacket. i have never gotten any of that caught on anything, and as I have a million pairs of cotton tshirts changing after a ride does not pose much of a problem. The best part is that the entire getup probably costs less than $100, excluding my shoes which are sneakers because I use (gasp) platforms and use Merril running shoes (with size 15 feet I am averse to getting specialty shoes, plus when I get wherever I am going I like to be able to, you know walk around that place comfortably.
Old 08-06-13, 08:37 PM
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I live in my Terry's plus size mountain bike baggie shorts from about late April until late October (and longer, when possible). I hated the huge, flat, weird foam and nylon padding and removed the stitches and instead wear Aerotech bike shorts beneath the baggies. These shorts wear like iron because they've only recently started showing their age (7 years) and I wear them off bike as well. They are nylon-spandex blend that are always comfy and I absolutely adore the zippered pockets. I can carry wallet, keys, snack, and cell phone without any fear of losing half of it on a bike ride (or walk to Starbucks). I bought 4 pairs (3 regular short length and 1 pair of capri length) from Team Estrogen when they were 50% off. Such a deal!

If I didn't have these shorts, I'd try a 2x in men's mtb shorts and get rid of the liners since they may not fit comfortably. One thing about men's mtb bike baggie shorts is they typically come in a larger variety of colours. The shorts I wear came in black and only black. It's a shame that plus size women's clothing are available only in black or in something Mrs. Roper would wear on an epsiode of Three's Company.
Old 08-06-13, 09:07 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Find some cycling shorts with a waistband or "bib" shorts that are comfortable. She can wear hiking shorts over them to cover up.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-07-13, 10:59 AM
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclokitty
It's a shame that plus size women's clothing are available only in black or in something Mrs. Roper would wear on an epsiode of Three's Company.
thats pretty much what my wife said. Only she is 31 so she wouldn't have used a 3s Company reference