Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Hot or Not

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Hot or Not

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 08:48 AM
Lentement mais sûrement

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Simpletommy
This would be so much better if the stem were much, much shorter.

I like the locations!
Damn, I thought nobody would notice with the angle. That bike has a long top tube and I couldn't find a super short (length wise) stem other than than the Nitto. Problem is it's way too high. Love the silver color. It always matches with bike parts and it reflects the surrounding colors.
Old 08-29-13, 11:56 AM
Stealing Spokes since 82'

Bikes: The always reliable kuwie

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by groovestew
I like it! Fizzaly's a guy who puts a lot of passion into his bikes, and it shows. But what is that thing connecting the fork and the downtube?
It's a steering stabilizer I got it from velo orange, I'm not sure howmwellmit works stabilizing but it holds my bars straight when i have it on the kickstand which is why I bought it
Old 08-30-13, 09:12 AM

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Hairy Legs
Not. The red fenders make it look like a kid's toy, and a triple crank is never hot on a road style bike. Also, the bars are rotated too far down.
ummm no, the ends of the drops are parallel with the ground which is how they should be.

Rule #46 https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 08-30-13 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-30-13, 09:45 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Adaptation of Old long ramp bars and Brifters, compact bars bend allows the continuation of a short ramp to extend to the brifter hood ,

If the set up is conscious of the design concepts.
Old 08-30-13, 10:05 AM
Super-spreader

Bikes: shiny red tricycle

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
ummm no, the ends of the drops are parallel with the ground which is how they should be.

Rule #46 https://www.velominati.com/the-rules/
Those rules seem more suited to the 41. We need a new set of rules here!
Old 09-02-13, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
if I see another Surly/Salsa/Kona, I'll vomit.
Originally Posted by Brennan
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I thought I'd go for maximum hurl probability.
Originally Posted by DVC45
Acidfast7 should be really queasy by now.
Originally Posted by cyccommute
How about an orange Salsa to give the technicolor yawn a little brightness
Looks like it worked.
Old 09-06-13, 12:46 PM

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After dissing other's bikes, I figure it is my turn to be on the receiving end. Also, this thread is slipping off the front page. So without further ado, I present, in the most appropriate place for a commuter, my Sirrus:

For extra bonus points, I left indicators of the last time my son spent the day in my office
Old 09-07-13, 03:01 PM
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
take off the dork disc and it's hot. this is one of the exceptions of me hating sloping top tubes. the top tube bag is pretty tiny, so i'll let it slide.
Old 09-07-13, 09:02 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by the sci guy
take off the dork disc and it's hot. this is one of the exceptions of me hating sloping top tubes. the top tube bag is pretty tiny, so i'll let it slide.
If you mean the bash guard on the chain rings, I agree. I'm not sure how easy it is to remove though, or if I have the tools for it.
Old 09-07-13, 09:27 PM

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dork disk??? If you need it, it's there. Otherwise, unless it hurts your feelings...........don't worry. The sun will still come up tomorrow.

Frame looks great, people that don't like sloping top tubes probably have legs long enough to ride the "right" sized bike. Not that it really matters.

If my feet are on the pedals, my butt on the saddle, my hands on the bars and.........it feels good. It's good. It doesn't matter how far away the pavement is.

Your Sirrus is a great looking bike and it seems that your son got the answer on your board.
Old 09-07-13, 09:29 PM

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Should have said........when you need it, it's there.
Old 09-07-13, 09:40 PM
Super-spreader

Am I the only person who doesn't notice dork disks? They don't bother me at all unless they're really grimy.
Old 09-08-13, 03:43 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Am I the only person who doesn't notice dork disks? They don't bother me at all unless they're really grimy.
Mostly don't mind, but I don't see the utility. If I'm wearing jeans I roll them up on the drive side anyway. I suspect I'm better off with the disk though .. the entry level crank isn't very good looking.
Old 09-08-13, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
The dork disk is the plastic thing between the cassette and spokes. Completely unnecessary if your bike is set up properly.
Old 09-08-13, 05:10 PM

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those rules seem more suited to the 41. We need a new set of rules here!
+1 !

I heartily concur, I think it should be a fun and tongue-in-cheek mix of real aesthetics and points for fenders, bells, horns, racks, and functional Fredly-ness.

Okay, this one isn't mine, and I actually feel kind of bad sharing it, but it's too rich not to. Spotted in the rack at work:

The funny thing is, they just added the rack in the last week or so. I was actually checking out this bike a few weeks ago, trying to figure out what vintage it was, as I liked the looks of the frame, basically because of the triangular shaped down tube. I've only seen that on some Marins before and coveted those as well. And then they had to mount that rack like that!

I'm tempted to leave a note on it, explaining how they could rectify or mitigate the mounting!

Last edited by Medic Zero; 09-08-13 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-08-13, 05:19 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by treadtread
After dissing other's bikes, I figure it is my turn to be on the receiving end. Also, this thread is slipping off the front page. So without further ado, I present, in the most appropriate place for a commuter, my Sirrus:

For extra bonus points, I left indicators of the last time my son spent the day in my office
Hot! It'd be hotter with fenders, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume they are dismounted for summer.
Good rack (like the attachment points for bungees, overlooked on a lot of racks), good trunk, like the bar ends. I'm not a fun of computers myself, but to my mind, it speaks to being serious about cycling. Not that one can't be without it, mind you! Just that it is an indicator that the rider probably is.

I too, usually don't aesthetically like sloping top tube bikes, but something about the design and size of this one is okay. I'll actually give you points for the shot as well, it's not a scenic picture, but it is at work, framed interestingly, and your kids contribution is a nice touch.

What's the little pouch just behind the stem? Battery box for front light?

Last edited by Medic Zero; 09-08-13 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-08-13, 05:22 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 !

I wish they'd make a comeback in the shiny metal version. It's only when they've turned yellow or are chipped that they look bad to me.

For the commuting forum hot or not thread, dork discs should be good for points, not demerits!
Old 09-08-13, 05:59 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Medic Zero
Hot! It'd be hotter with fenders, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume they are dismounted for summer.
Good rack (like the attachment points for bungees, overlooked on a lot of racks), good trunk, like the bar ends. I'm not a fun of computers myself, but to my mind, it speaks to being serious about cycling. Not that one can't be without it, mind you! Just that it is an indicator that the rider probably is.

I too, usually don't aesthetically like sloping top tube bikes, but something about the design and size of this one is okay. I'll actually give you points for the shot as well, it's not a scenic picture, but it is at work, framed interestingly, and your kids contribution is a nice touch.

What's the little pouch just behind the stem? Battery box for front light?
Yep, battery for front light. Agree about the dork disk .. if it is the one between the cassette and the wheel, I'm keeping it. I try to do my own maintenance and am not good enough to confidently remove it.
Old 09-08-13, 06:04 PM
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by treadtread

Hot (But I'm biased)
Old 09-08-13, 07:05 PM
Super-spreader

Okay, this one isn't mine, and I actually feel kind of bad sharing it, but it's too rich not to. Spotted in the rack at work:

The slant of the rack is to prevent snow from building up in the winter! Very functional!
Old 09-08-13, 07:11 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The slant of the rack is to prevent snow from building up in the winter! Very functional!

I can't imagine putting a loaded pannier on that rack, I expect it'd handle pretty funkily.

I'm going to feel bad if someone posts and says it's their bike and we hurt their feelings laughing at them here!
Old 09-08-13, 07:13 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I heartily concur, I think it should be a fun and tongue-in-cheek mix of real aesthetics and points for fenders, bells, horns, racks, and functional Fredly-ness.

The funny thing is, they just added the rack in the last week or so. I was actually checking out this bike a few weeks ago, trying to figure out what vintage it was, as I liked the looks of the frame, basically because of the triangular shaped down tube. I've only seen that on some Marins before and coveted those as well. And then they had to mount that rack like that!

I'm tempted to leave a note on it, explaining how they could rectify or mitigate the mounting!
I'll give 'em some Fred points for the triple, single front fender and using up that old front tire. Personal points for the old-school fit.

I'm betting the guy didn't tighten the bolts on the rack enough before putting a load on it, then it slid back as far as it could.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-08-13, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Is that a wheelie-bar?
Old 09-09-13, 07:39 AM
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
65er would fix it up and ride it.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 09-09-13, 08:48 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I'm betting the guy didn't tighten the bolts on the rack enough before putting a load on it, then it slid back as far as it could.
Nope. I'm betting big panniers, big feet and a short chainstay bike. The old Randonee's were touring bikes in name only. They have chainstays around 17.3".
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.