Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Sunglasses prevented eye injury today

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-13, 11:14 AM
Bicycle Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This morning, I was commuting in to work like I have done hundreds of times on the same route, when I got hit in the sunglasses by a tree branch. It was a tree I go under every morning, and I'd never hit a branch before. Didn't see it coming, either. Point of impact was on the left side of my sunglasses, and it pushed my glasses and raked my eyebrow pretty hard.

I share this because I think the sunglasses saved me a nasty eye injury today. I go every ride with either sunglasses or clear protective safety glasses - not primarily for this reason, but mainly as a place to put my Take-A-Look mirror. I keep whichever set of glasses I'm not currently using in a hardshell large sunglass case in my pannier.

I'd always enjoyed the protection from bugs (and assorted stuff) in the eyes, but today really brought home the importance of eye protection during rides for me.
Old 08-19-13, 11:23 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I always ride with eye protection too ... usually sunglasses. As the seasons change and we start losing daylight I'm going to need a "clear" tint alternative.

I wear eyeglasses, but I don't want to wear my usual glasses. I'm currently using prescription sunglasses.
Old 08-19-13, 11:25 AM
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
happens to me a lot with tall weeds on the side of the road as well as branches

one of the few applications where im thankful i wear glasses

for night riding i recommend yellow or amber lenses not just clear. used them when i had a motorcycle and they were like nightvision, so good.
Old 08-19-13, 11:27 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
funny ... I saw an infomercial last night for a yellow tinted "night driving" set of eyeglasses. they were yellow tinted too, was wondering if it was hype
Old 08-19-13, 11:58 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
funny ... I saw an infomercial last night for a yellow tinted "night driving" set of eyeglasses. they were yellow tinted too, was wondering if it was hype
I like running the yellow lens in my Dux Helm for lighted, urban environments at night, but I prefer to pop in the clear visor for dark, countryside night rides.
Old 08-19-13, 12:20 PM

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use safety glasses as well. They've saved me sooooo many times, big bugs just seem drawn to my eyeballs.
Old 08-19-13, 05:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my #1 piece of safety equipment is eye protection.....
Old 08-19-13, 05:19 PM
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RGNY
my #1 piece of safety equipment is eye protection.....
+1 - I wont ride without something to protect my eyes.
Old 08-19-13, 05:27 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ditto. Had a friend give me some crap once when she saw me swapping in the clear lenses before leaving the party. It was snowing,and on the way home I was passed by a salt truck. Something bounced off the left lens,no idea what it was,but it gouged the lens. Would've been seriously unpleasant if that had been my eye. I started wearing eye protection when I was a kid and got a bug in my eye one summer ride.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 08-19-13, 05:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've had lenses cracked by stones throw from car tires. that was enough for me.
Old 08-19-13, 05:39 PM
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That eye protection is one of the things I really like about the built in lenses on the Dux Helm and Giro Air Attack helmets. Sunglasses have pros and cons. The biggest con is that in the event of an actual facial impact - the sunglass frame can cause serious eye damage. The larger lenses of the helmetsmight impact forhead and cheekbone areas - but not the eye socket. Currently have two clients recovering from concussions complicated by sunglass frame damage to the eye socket. I'd like to blame that on motorists but there were none involved - just cyclsts.
Old 08-19-13, 06:50 PM
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I wear clear safety glasses when it's dark and safety sun glasses during daytime.
Old 08-19-13, 10:09 PM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Sugar 4+, Kona Rove

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always wear glasses while riding my bike. I currently wear a pair of Oakley Hijinx with Rx transition lenses while I ride. The lenses don't get super dark but dark enough to cut the glare of sunshine but also go clear when the sun starts to go down. The hijinx has a pretty big frame and lens that provides a lot of protection.
I've hit one low hanging branch from a tree that I didn't really see and without the glasses I know I would currently be recovering from a serious eye injury. The glasses also keep the dust and other fine debris out of my eyes being kicked up by car traffic. Took a rock to the lens once while on my moto. Again, I have no doubt those glasses saved me from serious injury. I consider eye protection to be the most important piece of protective equipment aside from my helmet.