Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Speed with backpack vs. no backpack?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-13, 04:27 PM

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts

Does anyone train on their commute with a backpack and have comparisons of similar training without the backpack?
I don't have much time so I train while commuting, but I am carrying shoes and some combination of clothes, lock, food etc in a backpack.

Just wondering what might be the non-backpack equivalent of a not-so hypothetical 26 mph for 6 minutes with a backpack.
Old 08-20-13, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
backpack is a huge drag, literally.

on a day when you're not commuting, why don't you just go time yourself with and without a pack? it will be hard for us to say without knowing your position, power and wind.

you are losing a bunch of speed (or using quite a bit of extra power).
Old 08-20-13, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how long is rope?
Old 08-20-13, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by tetonrider
backpack is a huge drag, literally.

on a day when you're not commuting, why don't you just go time yourself with and without a pack? it will be hard for us to say without knowing your position, power and wind.

you are losing a bunch of speed (or using quite a bit of extra power).
Yeah, the obvious solution is to go test it on a weekend. I recall googling this every once in a while and thinking it would be well documented but it isn't. Just wondering today cuz I smashed my PR for that Strava segment by 18 seconds - the leader's name says (aerobars) in parentheses like that and I wan't mine to say (backpack) haha.

Originally Posted by MDcatV
how long is rope?
What?
Old 08-20-13, 04:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i thought parody threads were frowned upon
Old 08-20-13, 04:53 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I do a lot of my training on the commute with a back pack. It's added weight and drag and has a noticeable effect but I've never tested exactly how much effect it has. I usually do wattage based intervals so I never pay any attention to speed.

It would make for an interesting experiment though.
Old 08-20-13, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by MDcatV
i thought parody threads were frowned upon
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
What?
What?

Originally Posted by caloso
I do a lot of my training on the commute with a back pack. It's added weight and drag and has a noticeable effect but I've never tested exactly how much effect it has. I usually do wattage based intervals so I never pay any attention to speed.

It would make for an interesting experiment though.
It would be more useful to me I guess because I don't have any way to measure power (I don't trust Strava power on the flats with a backpack haha)
Old 08-20-13, 05:34 PM
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Does anyone train on their commute with a backpack and have comparisons of similar training without the backpack?
I don't have much time so I train while commuting, but I am carrying shoes and some combination of clothes, lock, food etc in a backpack.

Just wondering what might be the non-backpack equivalent of a not-so hypothetical 26 mph for 6 minutes with a backpack.
Riding with a backpack on sucks, what else is there to know?

Fwiw you should start keeping some shoes, maybe even clothes at work, and try to eliminate the need for it.

my race videos
Old 08-20-13, 05:40 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm

Fwiw you should start keeping some shoes, maybe even clothes at work, and try to eliminate the need for it.
what?
Old 08-20-13, 05:42 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I leave shoes and pants at work. I bring a shirt or two and use a 1lb backpack or musette bag.
Old 08-20-13, 05:51 PM

Been considering it - carpool a whole load of clean laundry and groceries in every Tuesday or something.
Old 08-20-13, 06:06 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
At my former employer we had a shower room and lockers where I could keep a week's worth of clothes. I'd drive them in Sunday evening and take them home Friday afternoon. At my current employer we have showers but no place to keep clothes, so I just keep my shoes here and bring carefully folded shirts, pants, etc. in a small REI daypack. It's not ideal, but it works.

And obviously, the higher intensity interval, the more annoying the backpack. 2x20's? No problem. Tabatas? Ugh, problem.
Old 08-20-13, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isn't this the same kind of argument as a heavy vs light bike? You simply go slower for the same output with a heavier bike or heavy pack. Speed in this case is irrelevant, it's the work that matters, so use an HR monitor or go by RPE.

And yeah, riding with a bag sucks. I always found a well-secured messenger bag more comfortable than a backpack, but I also have a place to keep shoes, pants and toiletries at work.
Old 08-20-13, 07:17 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I like backpacks better than messenger bags.

Now we'll never know.

Also, 18mph. Or 5mph. ****. I dunno.
Old 08-20-13, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by rankin116
Isn't this the same kind of argument as a heavy vs light bike? You simply go slower for the same output with a heavier bike or heavy pack. Speed in this case is irrelevant, it's the work that matters, so use an HR monitor or go by RPE.

And yeah, riding with a bag sucks. I always found a well-secured messenger bag more comfortable than a backpack, but I also have a place to keep shoes, pants and toiletries at work.
It's a flat ride, so I was thinking more how the wind catches the big sail attached to my back. Yeah, it is the work that matters, which is why I don't mind all that much, but it's hard to know where I am at speed-wise for race applications.

Edit: I guess I should just get in the wind more in my 9 remaining practice races and I'll know then.

Last edited by aaronmcd; 08-20-13 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-20-13, 07:54 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rankin116

Never understood why people think that's an effective way to train. I've had people ask if i'm riding gatorskins to make the ride harder. I ride them because i don't want to flat when i ride through broken beer bottles.
Old 08-20-13, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsutkeepspining
Never understood why people think that's an effective way to train. I've had people ask if i'm riding gatorskins to make the ride harder. I ride them because i don't want to flat when i ride through broken beer bottles.
Agreed, purposefully riding a heavy bike, etc as a way of "training" is like reverse motor pacing and makes no sense.
Old 08-20-13, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Paging @waterrockets
Old 08-20-13, 11:17 PM
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I leave shoes and pants at work. I bring a shirt or two and use a 1lb backpack or musette bag.
Likewise - I preload shirts in my office but still lug paperwork, and iPad and if I'm unlucky my brick of a laptop to and from the office. The extra weight makes any climbing out if the saddle a pain - the backpack jiggles around if I try to put out an effort. Still it's far superior to when I used a messenger bag. Those things have a habit of shifting around when you don't want them to.

I tend to use bike commutes as endurance rather than interval training.
Old 08-21-13, 06:00 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So many variables - you'll just have to measure it yourself on the weekend when you don't need the backpack. I'm expecting, over a significant number of rides, that the difference would be minimal.

Assuming for the sake of argument that I'm wrong ... maybe it's better to train carrying a bit more weight and air resistance - or would that be unwise for some reason?
Old 08-21-13, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My issue with backpacks, at least the ones I tried, was the top strap thingy would get caught in the back of my helmet. I like the weight lower on my back than I could get with a backpack while keeping it securely in place. My Timbuk2 bag, using the chest strap, would never move if I loaded it properly.

Of course, YMMV and all that, personal preference, etc.
Old 08-21-13, 07:04 AM
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
Since Botto's not around.

OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-21-13, 10:17 AM
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute with a backpack - long commute (22mi each way), so aero efficiency matters. I used to use a Mountain Hardware Paladin which was nice inasmuch as it is waterproof and tough, but it had a big flat top that sticks high into headwinds, as well as a tall, narrow profile that catches crosswinds.... not to mention the obnoxious aluminum zipper pulls and grab handle.

Once I moved to a Koki Vespa, I noticed a huge increase in both riding comfort (it has a mesh stand-off style suspension) and also aero drag. Also, when the pack isn't fully loaded (just a laptop and some basic essentials) I use a little velcro loop to batten down the front pocket to the grab handle and improve that headwind profile a bit:

I do find that when i ride my other bike with a side pannier, it feels draggier in comparison, but it is the most comfortable, having nothing on my back at all. Still, for my long commute, I'd rather just go faster.

Last edited by nhluhr; 08-21-13 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-21-13, 10:19 AM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
It appears our moderators race with backpacks. Or they've taken some sleeping pills.
Old 08-21-13, 10:24 AM
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with this - I shower at work so no worries about sweat, etc... and every couple weeks I ride the bus and bring a duffel bag full of clean underwear, socks, a few undershirts, and a few sets of my primary outer clothes - my office is non-customer-facing so no need to worry about a fresh clean suit - I just wear the same pants and work shirt several days in a row. It's nice to have all that stuff at the office and not have to haul it daily on my ride. I do frequently haul my laptop though, since I may have to do something urgent from home, or maybe just opt to work from home many days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.